Andy Murray to retire

I do actually. :-)

Well then you should know different,from wanting a yes vote for Scotland to leave us,to wanting any team that England are playing,whether tongue in cheek or not,these things stay forever,and people will not forget,so that is how it is as they say.

He won't be missed by me,and countless others

Here we go for those that need reminding

"I was only 19 or 20 at the time. I was still a kid, and I was getting things sent to my locker saying things like: 'I hope you lose every tennis match for the rest of your life'. That's at Wimbledon. Even people within the grounds at Wimbledon were saying that to me," Murray revealed.

The seriousness of the situation hit home after he overheard one tennis fan at Wimbledon describe him on the phone as "that Scottish wanker" as he walked past. "It's not nice, obviously, and I felt I hadn't done anything wrong." His comment, he said, was a response to teasing about Scotland's absence from the World Cup. What he called "unbelievable" early fan support evaporated, forcing him, he admitted, to have to "reconnect" with the British public.

The whole thing was ludicrous. The two others in the conversation, Tim Henman and Des Kelly, repeatedly insisted it was part of general teasing between two English people and a Scot, and nothing more than that. Kelly took to calling those who pretended to be outraged "hard of thinking" and defending Murray to the hilt over it.

Every single sodding time an Englishman and a Scot talks about such things you get the banter between them, to slag off Murray was ridiculous. He did nothing more than every one of us do in that kind of light hearted conversation - no one calls me anti-Scottish for it, I'd never call the other one anti-English. It's a family game of taking the piss. It seriously irritates me he still gets grief for it.

The whole thing was ludicrous. The two others in the conversation, Tim Henman and Des Kelly, repeatedly insisted it was part of general teasing between two English people and a Scot, and nothing more than that. Kelly took to calling those who pretended to be outraged "hard of thinking" and defending Murray to the hilt over it.

Every single sodding time an Englishman and a Scot talks about such things you get the banter between them, to slag off Murray was ridiculous. He did nothing more than every one of us do in that kind of light hearted conversation - no one calls me anti-Scottish for it, I'd never call the other one anti-English. It's a family game of taking the piss. It seriously irritates me he still gets grief for it.

I'm not suggesting he still gets grief for it till today,but like I said earlier,some will never forget,he's proud and that is fair enough,but how he could truly rely on "English Support" is beyond me,plus he was as miserable as they come for a sportsman as well,but to be labelled on here as being one of the greatest,nah I'm sorry,that don't cut it with me

I'm not suggesting he still gets grief for it till today,but like I said earlier,some will never forget,he's proud and that is fair enough,but how he could truly rely on "English Support" is beyond me,plus he was as miserable as they come for a sportsman as well,but to be labelled on here as being one of the greatest,nah I'm sorry,that don't cut it with me

Those who "will never forget" are thick twats.

Worth pointing out that the average retirement age of professional tennis players is 28.

It's an absolutely brutal sport physically, up there with things like gymnastics for the damage it does long term. Dzokovic, Nadal and Federer have all had massive injury lay offs before hitting 30.

They start ridiculously young, they play a very long season, made up of 3-5 hour games every other day.

Absolute legend. Terrible news but I guess not a surprise considering the past 18 months. God knows where British tennis goes from here, back in the doldrums. The BBC are gonna be devastated.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.