Angel Di Maria

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone knows that we need to sign everyone, it's the same every year. If any good player moves and we don't buy them, the board has failed us badly.

The reality is that we don't need those players, can't afford those players and don't have space for them in our squad. We did however need a GK, CB, RB and holding player. We seem to have done very sensible business, but unfortunately "sensible" isn't sexy enough for some.

Rammyblues said:
just frustrating that players like fabregas, sanchez, di maria, falcao all seem available this summer when we cant get at them!!!!!

Disagree on four counts, one, we were offered Dear Maria and turned them down twice!!!! second, before this window opened everyone on here, almost, knew we needed a central defender, back up right back, another defensive midfield player and a back up keeper, furthermore we had identified those areas before December, hence the Fernando/Mangala bids last January. Third if there was a problem area it was in relation to the homegrown quota, especially surrounding Milners contract, hence being in for Barkley and fourth, I don't think we needed any of them and still don't. We have a perfectly balanced squad, of course we all want the latest shiny toy but a team wins the silverware not individuals, and I think personally we have gone about our business in the right way.
I think the point he was trying to make was yes, we needed to strengthen in all the areas you mentioned and that was rightly our priority, but with all those players available there was a unique opportunity for us to trade up.

If there were no FFP restrictions I'm sure Fabregas would have been seen as an essential trade up for Rodwell whilst providing Yaya competition/future replacement plus qualifying as home grown. With Sanchez as a replacement for Sinclair, Falcao as an upgrade on Dzeko or Negredo and Di Maria as the out and out left winger we've craved for years there's no way that couldn't be seen as a move to cement us as an even stronger footballing powerhouse.

Its not to say we haven't got an excellent squad now, but those stellar names would have made us as strong as Bayern, Real or Barca if not stronger and more balanced.

BluessinceHydeRoad said:
We have apparently turned down Di Maria twice and with very good reason. It has nothing to do with FFPR, which has made no difference at all to our business in the window. Maybe those who believe it has could explain how on earth UEFA decided that we could spend 60 million euros in the window, if we didn't tell them that was what we planned to spend whatever they said! City have strengthened the squad in positions where we needed depth and have completed the squad by getting our "spine" to commit themselves to the club almost to the end of the decade. Pellers now has his squad of 22 to work with long term and the good times could really start to roll! Di Maria is a good player but who would the manager leave out for him? City aren't going to pay the silly money Real want for a player we don't need.

edmsq7b.gif

Dribble said:
Rammyblues said:
just frustrating that players like fabregas, sanchez, di maria, falcao all seem available this summer when we cant get at them!!!!!

Disagree on four counts, one, we were offered Dear Maria and turned them down twice!!!! second, before this window opened everyone on here, almost, knew we needed a central defender, back up right back, another defensive midfield player and a back up keeper, furthermore we had identified those areas before December, hence the Fernando/Mangala bids last January. Third if there was a problem area it was in relation to the homegrown quota, especially surrounding Milners contract, hence being in for Barkley and fourth, I don't think we needed any of them and still don't. We have a perfectly balanced squad, of course we all want the latest shiny toy but a team wins the silverware not individuals, and I think personally we have gone about our business in the right way.
I think the point he was trying to make was yes, we needed to strengthen in all the areas you mentioned and that was rightly our priority, but with all those players available there was a unique opportunity for us to trade up.

If there were no FFP restrictions I'm sure Fabregas would have been seen as an essential trade up for Rodwell whilst providing Yaya competition/future replacement plus qualifying as home grown. With Sanchez as a replacement for Sinclair, Falcao as an upgrade on Dzeko or Negredo and Di Maria as the out and out left winger we've craved for years there's no way that couldn't be seen as a move to cement us as an even stronger footballing powerhouse.

Its not to say we haven't got an excellent squad now, but those stellar names would have made us as strong as Bayern, Real or Barca if not stronger and more balanced.
We could have done most of those things with a bit of juggling here and the the fact that we didn't ,says to me we didn't want to. Soriano has stated they knew a year ago what they wanted to do this summer and they have done it, at the time they didn't expect FFP sanctions and he has said it made no difference to his plans.
They will now be planning for next summer which will probably include a long term replacement for Yaya and a new striking option.
You can't change strategy every time somebody new becomes available. I see the rags signing Di Maria as our Robinho signing, making a statement without any team planning,

blueparrot said:
Dribble said:
Rammyblues said:

We could have done most of those things with a bit of juggling here and the the fact that we didn't ,says to me we didn't want to. Soriano has stated they knew a year ago what they wanted to do this summer and they have done it, at the time they didn't expect FFP sanctions and he has said it made no difference to his plans.
They will now be planning for next summer which will probably include a long term replacement for Yaya and a new striking option.
You can't change strategy every time somebody new becomes available. I see the rags signing Di Maria as our Robinho signing, making a statement without any team planning,

This could be a another Robinho fiasco. Ancelotti has told Di Maria he is signing for City to get rid of him!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.