Anyone disappointed?

mancity5 said:
blueyorkie said:
Clearly a lot of people haven't taken notice of the failed policy of the last 35 years. Sacking managers does not guarantee success. Personally think sacking Hughes would be a major set back given the upheaval that would inevitably follow. he should be given plenty of time to see his plans come to fruition, I would be happy if he was still at the helm in 5 years.
He strikes me as a hard working manager , with a steely determination and a good eye for a player. Tactically he is improving, ask messers Wenger and Ancellotti.

Have any of his signings been unknowns or all quite pricey established players...

Bit of both really , your point being?

Dubai Blue said:
vonksbignose said:
I think you underestimate the importance our owners put on doing things the right way Rammy!

We're not owned by an Abramovic or a Mike Ashley you know! These are decent, honourable men, & from the way they've conducted themselves so far, I think its fair to assume that having given the man a target to achieve, were he to do so, he could expect their continued backing!
I'm not slagging off our owners here, they're great. But they are from the stock that borrows billions of pounds from British banks and fails to pay it back, allowing government-backed entities to go to the wall and screwing British businesses out of billions.

I find all this "decent, honourable Arabian gentlemen who do things the right way" nonsense a bit tiresome, to be honest. Like I say, I'm not badmouthing them, I'm just pointing out that they are exactly the same as all other businessmen anywhere in the world: ruthless.

If Jose Mourinho wanted the job, only the league title itself would prevent him from getting it.

It is going to be strange if/when they do show this ruthless streak. It's certainly been very well hidden so far...

Dubai Blue said:
vonksbignose said:
I think you underestimate the importance our owners put on doing things the right way Rammy!

We're not owned by an Abramovic or a Mike Ashley you know! These are decent, honourable men, & from the way they've conducted themselves so far, I think its fair to assume that having given the man a target to achieve, were he to do so, he could expect their continued backing!
I'm not slagging off our owners here, they're great. But they are from the stock that borrows billions of pounds from British banks and fails to pay it back, allowing government-backed entities to go to the wall and screwing British businesses out of billions.

I find all this "decent, honourable Arabian gentlemen who do things the right way" nonsense a bit tiresome, to be honest. Like I say, I'm not badmouthing them, I'm just pointing out that they are exactly the same as all other businessmen anywhere in the world: ruthless.

If Jose Mourinho wanted the job, only the league title itself would prevent him from getting it.

Fair point, well made DB! I guess we'll see what happens come the end of the season, but based on the way they've conducted themselves so far at the club (which is the only thing I, as a City fan has to judge them on - I know little of their other business dealings), it would come as something of a shock to me were they to pull the rug from under Hughes, if he'd achieved everything they'd asked of him. It would be a complete U-turn from the way in which they have set about stewarding the club thus far!

Didsbury Dave said:
I'm delighted about the results, really happy.

It hasn't changed my opinion about Hughes.

He needs to get us in the top 4 by the end of the season or he's failed.

But I would love us to have a successful season, regardless of whos at the helm.

We could end up in a scenario where we've finished 4th and Jose wants the job. What would the owners do then?

I cannot see the owners sacking Hughes if we finish in the top 4, and frankly, there's no way I'd want him sacked if we did.

I agree with everything else you've said. It's top 4 or bust this season for the manager...lets see if he gets us there.

Dubai Blue said:
vonksbignose said:

cheers fella, saved me the trouble.

blueyorkie said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:
Didn't miss the point, Billy. I didn't say I wanted us to lose, only that I thought about a scenario should we have come up short against Arsenal.

I am honest enough to admit there have been exceptional times down the years watching City where I have been non-plussed about us winning a match.

Remember a large section of supporters celebrating at Villa Park when they were up against United for the title in the run-in, and we gave them a needless penalty.

I don't believe Hughes has enchanced his reputation to a major extent on the back of the two results, albeit for those fickle enough to change opinion at the occurence of a great result here or there.

Many of Hughes' supporters have argued the owners do not formulate an opinion on a whim and a few bad results. The flip side of the coin, is exactly the same.

Yes, they will have been delighted by putting Arsenal and Chelsea, away, but for anyone to suggest the pressure is off Hughes for the foreseeable future is naive.

I am impressed by the fact that you have a knowledge of the owners thoughts because as far as I'm aware they have backed him to the hilt and have not shown any desire to look elsewhere for a manager.
Thank God they don't behave like school kids based on week by week results.

To your knowledge they have 'backed him to the hilt' and yet, the whole point of the thread was an acknowledgement that bad results against Arsenal and Chelsea would have had him on the verge.

Our owners are prudent enough to make contingencies for everything. The only people who behave as schoolkids are the ones who shout Hughes Out one week, and Hughes in when a decent result comes along.

Blue Moon very own ever-channging poll proves this better than anything else.

bluetoo said:
de niro said:
all of this.

So our expectations have risen higher than that of the owners...Hughes agenda was to finish top 6 this season. It says something about the progress we've made that we expect more of the manager than his remit. It also suggests the notion that Hughes (and the team of course) has us thinking that more is possible...wouldnt that be an indication of the team exceeding expectations and ...shock horror....actually giving us the chance to dream?

Im sure you've all heard the George best story when he was in a hotel with Miss World in bed and having champagne delivered to the door when the porter asked him where it had all gone wrong? I have a feeling that after this season is over and we finally have some silverware after all these years, there will be City fans asking the exact same question to MH.

There's no way that top 6 is the target for Hughes.

That was mentioned once as a method of managing expectations.

Everyone at our club is aiming for top 4 - that's why the players are here and they keep repeating it in the media.

Top 4 is the target. You're deluded if you think 6th will be good enough.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.