Anyone disappointed?

Pigeonho said:
Didsbury Dave said:
I didn't have you down as a Tubthumper but you're acting like the king of them all.

It's a thread to start a debate about where we all stand on Hughes now, after 2 great victories.

And it's immediately turned into that, the best thread all week on here.

You obviously didn't read the whole thread and waded in.

To be honest I just read the original post and lost it. Apologies all round, as reading 4 pages in, it is gathering a few good replies. You know my views on the Hughes outers, and I guess I fucked up on this occasion. Apologies again.

Bravo! Save me the job of calling you a tub thumping twat...

Matty said:
blueyorkie said:
No footballer is totally unknown in this day and age. Scouting networks are sophisticated so kids in South America, Asia and the Far East are known to most of the big clubs.
I don't see what your point is. I stated in my original post he had a good idea for a player and I stand by that. His success rate is very good and compares favourably with the other top managers.
The point was that you could give me £200m and I'd be able to spend it in huge chunks on proven Premiership players like Given, Adebayor, Lescott, Toure, Bridge, SWP, Santa Cruz and Bellamy. Those purchases don't show a good eye for a player, they show the ability to spend large amounts of money on players who have already been a success. If he'd brought in foreign or lower leageu talent that had proven to be top class then yes I'd agree with you, but he hasn't.

David Moyes can be called someone with a good eye for a player, with a limited budget he seems to get the best out of players.

It's a different kind of eye for a player though, yes anyone could have gone and bought proven Premierleague players, and they would obviously be good players. Whether his buys now are regarded as good or not, doesn't depend on the quality of player as such (imo) because they're going to be good players, it's how well they fit together as a team, how well they work together, what sort of metality and winning spirit they have, whether they can stand up and be counted on when the manage needs them.

So far, from those criteria, it's a bit early to say, but it's been mixed, performances like vs Chelsea and the wins at the start of the season under huge pressure and scrutiny, suggest that he has brought in a good group of players with some serious mental toughness and resiliance, however then you have the dropping of points from winning positions which could say the opposite.

I'd say on the balance of things, it looks like he's bought well so far, but it's still fairly early in the season and things can change quickly.

Didsbury Dave said:
bluetoo said:
So our expectations have risen higher than that of the owners...Hughes agenda was to finish top 6 this season. It says something about the progress we've made that we expect more of the manager than his remit. It also suggests the notion that Hughes (and the team of course) has us thinking that more is possible...wouldnt that be an indication of the team exceeding expectations and ...shock horror....actually giving us the chance to dream?

Im sure you've all heard the George best story when he was in a hotel with Miss World in bed and having champagne delivered to the door when the porter asked him where it had all gone wrong? I have a feeling that after this season is over and we finally have some silverware after all these years, there will be City fans asking the exact same question to MH.

There's no way that top 6 is the target for Hughes.

That was mentioned once as a method of managing expectations.

Everyone at our club is aiming for top 4 - that's why the players are here and they keep repeating it in the media.

Top 4 is the target. You're deluded if you think 6th will be good enough.

Its pretty simple...The official target for this year is top 6...until I hear a statement from the owners suggesting otherwise I'll stick to that.

Like I said originally though, due to the success of the club recently, along with other developments, I may be a bit disappointed if we dont finish higher/win some silverware. Not to the point where I would be screaming for the managers head though.

Didsbury Dave said:
Billy, you are the BB2 of On Topic.......

Chuck out a handgrenade and watch the explosion.

We used to be friends...;- )

Comparing me to the dumbest of the bluemoon dumb fucks is a step too far. I'm calling in my Bluemoon union rep, and shall see you at the next "HappyClap/TubThump/Doom&Gloom" Tribunal...

Seriously though, I didn't think anyone would be interested in this thread. I'm shocked it's gotten to 4 pages.

really looking forward to Saturday tbh as i see the game against Bolton as a good yardstick now after such an impressive 2 victories.

our last 5 away games have resulted in 4 draws and 1 defeat and "typical City" would be to throw away the great result against Chelsea by turning in a tepid performance away from home.

there should really be no excuse not to come away from Bolton without the 3 points, they are there for the taking and we should be buoyant.

Hughes needs to throw off the "safety first" away tactics and go for the throat from the first whistle, i hope he does because there is nothing to fear.

Matty said:
blueyorkie said:
No footballer is totally unknown in this day and age. Scouting networks are sophisticated so kids in South America, Asia and the Far East are known to most of the big clubs.
I don't see what your point is. I stated in my original post he had a good idea for a player and I stand by that. His success rate is very good and compares favourably with the other top managers.
The point was that you could give me £200m and I'd be able to spend it in huge chunks on proven Premiership players like Given, Adebayor, Lescott, Toure, Bridge, SWP, Santa Cruz and Bellamy. Those purchases don't show a good eye for a player, they show the ability to spend large amounts of money on players who have already been a success. If he'd brought in foreign or lower leageu talent that had proven to be top class then yes I'd agree with you, but he hasn't.

David Moyes can be called someone with a good eye for a player, with a limited budget he seems to get the best out of players.

You could in fact compare Moyes with the guy who used manage Blackburn before Ince. I forget his name.
However, i have now heard this fella has a shed load of cash and doesn't need to shop at Lidl and can shop at Harrods. I wonder if he is as happy as he was then.

Rammy Blue said:
really looking forward to Saturday tbh as i see the game against Bolton as a good yardstick now after such an impressive 2 victories.

our last 5 away games have resulted in 4 draws and 1 defeat and "typical City" would be to throw away the great result against Chelsea by turning in a tepid performance away from home.

there should really be no excuse not to come away from Bolton without the 3 points, they are there for the taking and we should be buoyant.

Hughes needs to throw off the "safety first" away tactics and go for the throat from the first whistle, i hope he does because there is nothing to fear.

That's on the money, Rammy. A win at Bolton and we've got our tails right up going into Christmas, right in touch with the top 4.

A loss and we're back where we were a week ago.

We must win and I believe we will win. I believe we'll win comfortably.

Didsbury Dave said:
Rammy Blue said:

That's on the money, Rammy. A win at Bolton and we've got our tails right up going into Christmas, right in touch with the top 4.

would you lump £500 on it?

Didsbury Dave said:
Rammy Blue said:

So do I...it will be interesting to see how Wenger and Benitez react if we get our tails up and start winning the "obvious" games...

Wenger certainly has already shown serious signs of strain...I'd fucking love for Liverpool to beat them Saturday and for us to beat Bolton...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.