Anyone else concerned?

Re: I'm slightly concerned about next season

Millwallawayveteran1988 said:
I think you underestimate the change of manager.

If that appointment turns out to be a good one then even with what we have now I would expect us to challenge. Mancini had run out of ideas and we had been Sussed by many teams. Press us quickly and we were not as good. I also think Mancini had fallen out of favour with too many players and they no longer trusted him.

We won the league virtually without Tevez and with Mario being problematic although I do think we need one more striker but not two. I can't see us playing 2 up front all of next season with the midfield we have. I think Navas, Silva and Nasri will provide support behind a lone striker for many games.

I would be surprised if we didn't see a new CB as relying on a 20 year old all season is risky and especially with kolo gone and Lescott not being as good enough.

I would also like a left back to put more pressure on Clichy and see the departure of Kolorov.

Absolutely spot on - on all accounts. Great post.

TGR said:
likkle billy shears will NOT be happy with your OP - thats for sure!
You may well be hearing from him....
Silly Beers.

ManCityX said:
From the FA Cup/title winning side we will have lost:

Tevez
Balotelli
De Jong
Johnson

Then there are rumours about Barry, Lescott and Kolarov.

My concern is that 3 of the players who have left are really good players and one of them was good at changing a game after coming on from the bench.

I'm happy that Navas cancels out Johnson and probably betters him, but Fernandinho has a lot to live up to if he's to better De Jong/Barry.

With the strikers, we have to buy someone who is top quality if we are to avoid slipping behind like last season. Aguero and Dzeko is nowhere near enough, especially when the latter regularly underperforms. Can we buy a striker better than Tevez or Mario?

I'm not having a moan here, this is just my analysis of the squad. I believe it is currently weaker than the side which won the title and we are 2-3 players short of being able to win the league again.

I know it's the end of June but do you think next seasons squad will be as strong or stronger than the title winning one?

I think Fernandinhio may well turn out to be an upgrade on Barry/ DeJong. Nige was great in a Hughes team when we didn't have as much possession, but didn't offer much going forward. Neither did Barry really for that matter. I think we're looking for more complete players now.
I think we are just one striker away..... if Pellers clicks straight away.

ManCityX said:
From the FA Cup/title winning side we will have lost:

Tevez
Balotelli
De Jong
Johnson

Then there are rumours about Barry, Lescott and Kolarov.

My concern is that 3 of the players who have left are really good players and one of them was good at changing a game after coming on from the bench.

I'm happy that Navas cancels out Johnson and probably betters him, but Fernandinho has a lot to live up to if he's to better De Jong/Barry.

With the strikers, we have to buy someone who is top quality if we are to avoid slipping behind like last season. Aguero and Dzeko is nowhere near enough, especially when the latter regularly underperforms. Can we buy a striker better than Tevez or Mario?

I'm not having a moan here, this is just my analysis of the squad. I believe it is currently weaker than the side which won the title and we are 2-3 players short of being able to win the league again.

I know it's the end of June but do you think next seasons squad will be as strong or stronger than the title winning one?

Johnson, not even worrying about.
Balotelli and NDJ were only bit-part players that season as was Tevez as he went missing for most of the season.
Kolarov, not mothered if he stays or not.

So, in a nutshell....I'm not remotely worried!

I just hope that we replace Tevez with someone equally decent, but remember, whoever it is, they won't go AWOL.

but Fernandinho has a lot to live up to if he's to better De Jong/Barry.

Disagree. We didn't have NDJ last season.

Fernandinho is vastly superior to Barry and Garcia. If nothing else, he can run and make dangerous passes.

All we need now is a striker who can finish, another body in midfield so we'll never have to use Barry/Garcia again, and a left back to replace Kolarov. And Panti's replacement. Replacing Nasri is optional, I'd prefer that we did.

That would do it for me.

Chill, have a beer, enjoy the roller coaster

But don't try to drink beer on a roller coaster - very messy!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.