Appalling set pieces

pudge said:
Puppet Master Silva said:
pudge said:
I didn't say we hadn't scored many near post corners? You're arguing the wrong point with the wrong person.

That was "City & Blue Brazil"

I pointed out that the Fulham example was not near post, you said then I could replace it with the spurs one. I maintain it's not a near post corner, as seen by Kompany trying his best to avoid it and shield the ball to the edge of the box...

Apologies for the opinion

Awfully strange of you to pull Didsbury Dave up on the Fulham corner and then argue that the Spurs one wasn't front post (which it was), if as you claim I'm arguing the wrong point with the wrong person.
The Fulham one wasn't even a corner let alone near post, there's no debating that.

This Spurs example is not as cut and dry.

I don't see what's strange about my opinion? Let alone awfully strange.

You said I had conceded the point that we have scored a lot of near post corners.... I never denied that. I hardly pulled him up on his entire point, I just corrected one of the examples.

I didn't understand why you were arguing this if you agreed we scored a lot of near post corners, it didn't make any sense in my mind. And I agreed that the Fulham one was a cross and said so to Didsbury Dave a few pages back.

pudge said:
Awfully strange of you to pull Didsbury Dave up on the Fulham corner and then argue that the Spurs one wasn't front post (which it was), if as you claim I'm arguing the wrong point with the wrong person.
The Fulham one wasn't even a corner let alone near post, there's no debating that.

This Spurs example is not as cut and dry.

I don't see what's strange about my opinion? Let alone awfully strange.

You said I had conceded the point that we have scored a lot of near post corners.... I never denied that. I hardly pulled him up on his entire point, I just corrected one of the examples.

I didn't understand why you were arguing this if you agreed we scored a lot of near post corners, it didn't make any sense in my mind. And I agreed that the Fulham one was a cross and said so to Didsbury Dave a few pages back.
I'm not arguing anything with regards to not scoring enough goals from near post corners.

I just corrected the Fulham example

Simples

We've not had anyone who can take a good corner / free kick (crossing) for as long as I can remember. We rarely beat the first man, and when we do more often than not it's a
floated cross. Desperately need someone who can whip in a dangerous free kick / corner, would make a massive difference to a team with the height / strength we have.

Inswinging corner are always more effective!

Hence:

Corner on LEFT side = Use LEFT footed David Silva etc...

Corner on RIGHT side = Use RIGHT footed Nasri etc...

Simple.

MilnersJaw said:
Sorry, I got the inswinging corner stuff wrong

Left side = right footer

Right side = left footer

Apologise once again for my incompetence ;)
Except you're totally incorrect.

KippaxCitizen said:
SWP's back said:
We have scored more set plays than anyone else this season.

Here endeth the thread.
Ooh nearly!

Liverpool scored more than us (23) with 19 from us. [stats from squawka.com]

That doesn't show conversion rate neither. With us having the second highest possession stats in the Prem, we will undoubtedly have a huge amount of corners and free kicks - so what is our conversion rate? compared to other team's? Especially from those not scored from a direct shot (Yaya's many direct free kick goals!).

There have been games where we've had 15+ corners and we haven't even got contact with anyone but the defender at the near post with 11 of them (Norwich away, for example) and not got near to scoring from the rest. That is poor. Some of our crossing is terrible!

Even when we've scored from a corner (Villa away) we've had a dozen others that didn't even meet a City head!

This. It's all fine and dandy to throw out total set piece goals scored, but we aren't talking about a lack of good direct free kicks. We have been quite brilliant in that area. Corners on the other hand we have looked dire more often than not. Would love to see a stat that showed conversion rate because I would be stunned if we were above mid table in that area. We've been dire at defending them as well for the last 2 seasons.

This thread is almost a perfect example of 'what have the Romans ever done for us'
<a class="postlink" href="http://youtu.be/9foi342LXQE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://youtu.be/9foi342LXQE</a>

Comedy

kiam06 said:
I'd go as far as saying our set pieces have cost us the title.

No other top club wastes so many or defends them as poorly as we do.

Liverpool are a prime example they make almost everyone count and that's why they are sat top as they make the difference between winning and drawing tight games.

Liverpool have scored 23 goals from set pieces and we have scored 19; every other team has scored less goals from set pieces.

Kolarov, and Yaya are known as two of the best strikers of the ball in the Premiership

OB1 said:
kiam06 said:
I'd go as far as saying our set pieces have cost us the title.

No other top club wastes so many or defends them as poorly as we do.

Liverpool are a prime example they make almost everyone count and that's why they are sat top as they make the difference between winning and drawing tight games.

Liverpool have scored 23 goals from set pieces and we have scored 19; every other team has scored less goals from set pieces.
It's still not good enough.

I know I'm never confident when we get a set piece around the box we are usually not competitive enough in the air or hit the first man.

All the best teams make the best use of them.

I can't prove it but I bet our ratio of conversion compared to freekicks and set pieces is not as good as Liverpool or most top teams.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.