Are Gundogan, Laporte, Mahrez and Palmer missed at all?

spot on mate.

still early early days for nunes too but it doesn't help his case that he's strolling around the field like he doesn't have a care in the world

we don't have anyone in midfield to control the game now. Jack helps us a bit but we need someone in the middle too

I'd give Jack a few games where Alvarez has been playing

Ederson

Akanji
Dias
Ake

Stones
Rodri

Foden
Bernardo
Grealish
Doku

Haaland

I'd like to see that against Luton.

As I saidcbefore Gundocyes, and mahrez goals from midfield

but gundos steady control, mainly, lets be honest if he was still here barca would be mid table, he has been carrying them through a few games this season, shows how vital he is to a team

This myth needs to end. He left because he wanted to. His wife forced him out and there was no contract that was going to change his mind.
I agree that he was always going to leave once we won the treble but I reckon he would've signed a new deal had we not left it until last season to offer him a new one. I believe he has said as much since he left. I think he felt undervalued by the club and that's why he was happy to see how last season panned out before making a decision.

There was nothing we could do once we won the Champions League which is why we should've offered him a new deal a lot earlier. I get why we're cautious with players once they reach 30 but there are some players that are so good and so important that you have to make an exception for especially when you know the manager will be absolutely desperate to keep them.

I agree that he was always going to leave once we won the treble but I reckon he would've signed a new deal had we not left it until last season to offer him a new one. I believe he has said as much since he left. I think he felt undervalued by the club and that's why he was happy to see how last season panned out before making a decision.

There was nothing we could do once we won the Champions League which is why we should've offered him a new deal a lot earlier. I get why we're cautious with players once they reach 30 but there are some players that are so good and so important that you have to make an exception for especially when you know the manager will be absolutely desperate to keep them.
I am sure Gundo and the club were very relaxed going into his last year. I dont think offering him one any earlier would have made any difference. Both sides wanted to finish the season, then let everything decompress and then come to the table and work things out. From what we know, his wife wasn't happy in Manchester and he had an offer on the table from barca.

Gundo himself can't do anything more than what he did last year, is on the wrong side of 30 and just wanted a new challenge. Both sides wished each other well and moved on.

I said all summer that I wanted Laporte to stay. He'd have covered us for Stone's injury at least.

I'd also have loved Gundogan to stay and that has really killed us.

I was fine with Mahrez being replaced by Doku and Palmer replaced by Nunes/Bobb.

Pep and Co hopefully have a modified plan to get something from this season. And if not, we need to lower our expectations.

I think we would be looking at Gvardiol in a completely different light had he come in at CB alongside Dias and not left back. I don't understand why Pep has been so persistent on partnering Dias with Akanji whilst Stones has been out.

Akanji is a good defender, but going forward and considering what we spent, we should have been playing Gvardiol there.

At least then it would be only 1 change from last seasons primary back 4 and not 2. Walker, Dias, Gvardiol, Ake and not Walker, Akanji, Dias, Gvardiol

Ake should have kept his place at left back, was immense last season playing that role.

Gundo yes

the rest not so much...plamer never really had much impact/playing time so impossible to miss him, Mahrez blew hot and cold and laporte was decent but Gvardiol is just as good and will be better...

What we miss however is Gundo and the replacements arent upto scratch at present. .....The Nunes transfer baffles me a bit.....a decent technical player but he just doesnt seem like a city player....very little drive or personality about him - maybe that will develop.
Definite for Gundog, having the ability to perm any 3 from the 4 of Gundo, Bernardo, Kev and Rodri was outstanding, but you have to remember that they were all experienced in Pep’s ways and tactics so rarely threw in a less than excellent performance.

Having any two of those 3 also made it much easier for someone else to come in such as Phil, Rico etc.

What we have at the moment is flux because Bernie and Rodri are overworked and not always there.

I’m still willing to give the new lads a bit more time, think a decision on Kalvin has already been made though.

We miss Mahrez to a decent degree too, he would be sharing the burden with Phil, Jack and Doku. He knew the system inside out and had periods of being key.

As good as Laporte and Cole were they weren’t pivotal players last season.

It’s about striking the right balance. If Gundogan had remained but had been playing alongside Rodri with Doku, Alvarez, Haaland, and Foden ahead of him, he would be looking every bit his age and more. Those four don’t have the same touch and game control of Mahrez, Grealish, and Bernardo.

The simple fact is that we are weaker right now than at the end of last season, but we went off the boil before Christmas then, so is the end of last season a fair comparison. Its fair to say though we don't really look like treble winners and signing wise thus far we have had more misses than hits with the players we have brought in.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.