Arsenal post match thread

Best team lost mangala and hart apart top performance
Err yes Mangala, but Hart?
I'm one of his fiercest critics but I don't think he can be blamed for either goal despite a nutmeg on the second. And he made a couple of good saves in the second half to keep us in it.
However at the risk of upsetting some on here there was a moment when he weakly punched a straight forward catch in the first half, ( same as Swansea last week).

Best City have played since Bournemouth in October. Should have been a draw but Navas's inability to hit a barn door this season came to the fore. Indeed with the chances we had (20 to Arsenal's 8) we should have won!
Negatives:
[1] Mangala's hideous pass to an Arsenal player for their 2nd goal; He needs to be replaced in the January window as he's a liability.
[2] The failure YET AGAIN of Fernandinho/Sagna/Otamendi to close down a midfielder running with the ball giving them a free shot from outside the right hand side of the box
[3] Navas's shooting.
[4] Bony. What a waste of money for a sack of spuds.
Positives:
[1] Aguero back - sadly it always takes a few games to get his eye in. A fully fit/sharp Aguero would have scored two tonight rather then limply glancing the ball directly to Cech.
[2] YaYa - As per the end of the Swansea game, he looks to have found fitness and power again. If that's the case then the rest of the league should be very worried. He blocked the middle of midfield preventing Arsenal attacks down the middle for the first half but gradually went more attacking as the game went on. I'm not a great supporter of YaYa of late but he played well tonight.
[3] Formation. You got it right Pellers. Please stick with it till the end of the season so we can be consistent.
[4] Fitness. Pace and speed of movement are much improved and City ran Arsenal ragged. Indeed Arsenal were totally clapped out for the last 15 mins.
What has happened to De Bruyne? We don't seem to be able to harness him and Silva together.

I'd play him where Toure is i.e. central midfield and let him run at the opposition centrally. Silva does keep the ball a lot and runs in circles in mazy dribbles looking for little give and gos. I wonder if the two are compatible

Toure was better tonight. He had an influence on the game. I thought that had gone for good, but he was still there at the end.

Goals scoring is an issue. Aguero should sort that out, but what if he gets injured again - then we have no alternative. Teams like Barcelona are never reliant on one player, but thanks to our one central striker system we are totally reliant on Aguero

Plenty of day trippers in the city end including a section of what looked like 200 or so Belgians
I feel sorry for people who are falling short on loyalty points when the club are clearly shifting a large amount to tourists
It stinks

You can't win on this forum. You have people moaning about 'points whores' on the one hand, then whingeing about 'day trippers' on the other. Given this was my first away this season (as I'm exiled in London I get to 2-3 away a season through whatever means I can) I probably fall into the latter camp and therefore probably shouldn't have been there either in your book, even as a Blue who's been going to games for over 20 years (managed to get one face value in the Tickets and Travel thread here, a top Blue randomly sorted me out). I accept the situation for what it is - the better the club do, the harder tickets are to come by and the cannier I have to be to get them given I'll never have the points (and nor will any of my long-time ST-holding family).

Why don't the moaners write a joint letter to the club outlining their criteria for who should and shouldn't attend away games? Make sure you add mine in - that the ones who headbutt away stewards (saw with my own eyes tonight) aren't allowed in, nor are the ones whose attitudes and football knowledge seem stuck in the days of Chesterfield and Sheffield Wednesday away (back when away tickets were so easy to come by they went on general sale to fans like me).

Whilst on the subject of fans, I genuinely think the tactical set up and long term of ambitions of this team have gone beyond the comprehension of some of our fans, sections of the away support included. Why else the whinging when City opt not for a high press when out of possession or moaning at Delph playing tonight when the aim was to go compact and energetic against a team we expected to dictate large periods of possession (a plan which went out of the window when Arsenal uncharacteristically sat back and played like an away team admittedly)? There was a lad next to me tonight - a Bramhall-type desperately pretending to be one of the scally mob - going mental whenever City conceded a throw in. A some point fans like this need some perspective - or they'll drive themselves into an early grave with all the needless stress.

Things to remember: all great teams have a great spine and City are largely missing theirs (Vinny out, Silva just back, Sergio nowhere near firing). Discount Leicester - and we should as they will fall away - and City are four points off the lead at a time when Arsenal are playing near their maximum and City have plenty left. Chelsea are dead and buried and United pose little threat. The squad will be strengthened in January - I predict a short term deal for an experienced striker (David Villa mould) - and there'll be a bounce from winning the League Cup and getting to the Champs League quarters.

If you've had enough of seeing City at this level, stop going to matches - I'll happily buy your ticket and stand with my arms folded in your place.

Last edited:
Plenty of day trippers in the city end including a section of what looked like 200 or so Belgians
I feel sorry for people who are falling short on loyalty points when the club are clearly shifting a large amount to tourists
It stinks

is that really a surprise though ? most city fans can't afford london on a monday night especially if your from manc

Was pissed off for about 20 minutes before deciding it wasn't worth the effort. Our recent form sucks and Hart is right. We need to be playing a lot better and we ain't. Can't be arsed going through the same tedious bollocks of the whys and wherefores as its being done to death, resurrected and died a thousand lingering deaths since. The only saving grace? All the other top teams (and I use the word 'top' generously) are largely wank which is something to cling to I guess.

As for opposition teams doing their homework, nullifying our threats and, oh I don't know, using tactics against us is really starting to grate. I mean is it allowed? Should someone tell Pellers? Seems only fair he be given a heads up.

Best City have played since Bournemouth in October. Should have been a draw but Navas's inability to hit a barn door this season came to the fore. Indeed with the chances we had (20 to Arsenal's 8) we should have won!
Negatives:
[1] Mangala's hideous pass to an Arsenal player for their 2nd goal; He needs to be replaced in the January window as he's a liability.
[2] The failure YET AGAIN of Fernandinho/Sagna/Otamendi to close down a midfielder running with the ball giving them a free shot from outside the right hand side of the box
[3] Navas's shooting.
[4] Bony. What a waste of money for a sack of spuds.
Positives:
[1] Aguero back - sadly it always takes a few games to get his eye in. A fully fit/sharp Aguero would have scored two tonight rather then limply glancing the ball directly to Cech.
[2] YaYa - As per the end of the Swansea game, he looks to have found fitness and power again. If that's the case then the rest of the league should be very worried. He blocked the middle of midfield preventing Arsenal attacks down the middle for the first half but gradually went more attacking as the game went on. I'm not a great supporter of YaYa of late but he played well tonight.
[3] Formation. You got it right Pellers. Please stick with it till the end of the season so we can be consistent.
[4] Fitness. Pace and speed of movement are much improved and City ran Arsenal ragged. Indeed Arsenal were totally clapped out for the last 15 mins.
I rarely agree with your posts, but spot on tonight, harsh picking on Fernandhino for me, he was OK, and I'm not convinced Aguero was fit, he looked awful for most of the time he was on the pitch, but I understand why.

Too many players were mediocre tonight (again) - just hope the ' beating (or jammy draw) city curse' kicks in and Arsenal go on a very poor run whilst we buck up.

This picture just about sums up the state of our defence at times

j5bg9w.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.