Arsenal post match thread

I didn't think we played that badly. We dominated the game for large periods. The DeBruyne/Silva chance really should have been a goal and from that miss we conceded a very good goal from Walcott who should be given some credit although Sagna was partly to blame for not closing him down quick enough. No excuses for Mangala though, that was a terrible unforced error. If we don't win the league it will be down to too many cock ups like that.

I fear that we will have run out of games by the time we recover some form, Sergio and Vinnie have overcome niggles and avoid any further injuries, and experience makes an appearance.

Pellers was talking last night about how many points were left to play for - he reminded me of Joe Royle "We have fifteen games left to avoid relegation . . . . .We have fourteen games left to . . . . . . . . . . we have thirteeen games . . . . . . . we have . . . . . . !"

I'm not overly worried, we should be beating Sunderland at home and I think we can easily teach Leicester a lesson if we play the same as we did last night without the mistakes. After that, we are relying on Arsenal not winning every game and the way this season is shaping up that is very likely. If we can somehow get a run going of say 5 wins in a row, I reckon that will definitely see us top with points to spare.

I think we might have kidded ourselves that we are better than we are. My personal view:

Hart - in an elite group of keepers and as good as any.
Sagna- solid if unspectacular.
Otamendi - CBs need 12 months to settle in so the jury is out for me.
Mangala - accident prone. We were sold a pup.
Kolarov- gives us lots going forward but undeniably suspect at the back.
Delph - looks useful.
Yaya - past his best and pacing himself now.
De Bruyne - not perfect but what a player.
Silva - I would always pay to watch him but obviously rusty.
Aguero - obviously world class but takes time to click after being injured - and he is so often injured.
Fernandinho - lively and driven with great energy levels and decent skill and vision.

The rest:

Kompany- fantastic but not much good to us in the stands.
Bony - good player, wrong team.
Nacho - great prospect but won't win us the league.
Zabs- where are you Zabs?
MDM - legs have gone.
Nasri-who cares? Too often he seems not to.
Sterling - good already and may be great in the future.
Fernando - poor.

Summary: a really good squad but not a dominant one and needs a top manager to get the most out of them. We don't have one at the moment. Biggest fault is not pressing the ball enough and disorganised defence. Fell free to disagree. Based on 50 years of watching football but not suggesting that I know it all.

Merry Christmas to all Blues.

I think we might have kidded ourselves that we are better than we are. My personal view:

Hart - in an elite group of keepers and as good as any.
Sagna- solid if unspectacular.
Otamendi - CBs need 12 months to settle in so the jury is out for me.
Mangala - accident prone. We were sold a pup.
Kolarov- gives us lots going forward but undeniably suspect at the back.
Delph - looks useful.
Yaya - past his best and pacing himself now.
De Bruyne - not perfect but what a player.
Silva - I would always pay to watch him but obviously rusty.
Aguero - obviously world class but takes time to click after being injured - and he is so often injured.
Fernandinho - lively and driven with great energy levels and decent skill and vision.

The rest:

Kompany- fantastic but not much good to us in the stands.
Bony - good player, wrong team.
Nacho - great prospect but won't win us the league.
Zabs- where are you Zabs?
MDM - legs have gone.
Nasri-who cares? Too often he seems not to.
Sterling - good already and may be great in the future.
Fernando - poor.

Summary: a really good squad but not a dominant one and needs a top manager to get the most out of them. We don't have one at the moment. Biggest fault is not pressing the ball enough and disorganised defence. Fell free to disagree. Based on 50 years of watching football but not suggesting that I know it all.

Merry Christmas to all Blues.

Edit - forgot poor Navas. Great energy, works hard defensively, poor crossing and non existent eye for goal.

He has a few defensive bones in his body, the issue is others do not so he is never going to fully shine whilst watching out for others failing their defensive duties.

I still think as much as Yaya can offer us going forward it is now to infrequent and it is just not enough in our current setup.
If we are giving a bit for creativity then leave it to Silva, we can't afford both of them in the same squad.

Yeah you are right, mate.

I should have worded it slightly better in that he is no an out and out defensive player.

Often has to get through the work of two men.

I'm not overly worried, we should be beating Sunderland at home and I think we can easily teach Leicester a lesson if we play the same as we did last night without the mistakes. After that, we are relying on Arsenal not winning every game and the way this season is shaping up that is very likely. If we can somehow get a run going of say 5 wins in a row, I reckon that will definitely see us top with points to spare.

It's the mistakes that worry. I think there are two or three bloopers every game waiting for an appearance and each time it gifts a goal to even ordinary teams. I can't see us going through this season and having a mistake-free defensive unit.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.