Arsenal - Post match thread

Players make mistakes, that's bound to happen ... but I don't think you can fault the effort and commitment of the lads today. They played out of their skins first half. They were let down by Manuel, just as they have been for the last two seasons. I'm sure he's very nice, very charming and all that ... but he is too one-dimensional and too stubbornly set in his ways.

I know that people have been agitating for Nacho to be given a run, but surely not at the expense of wasting KDB by sticking him out on the wing? Did anyone see any semblance of a partnership with Sergio and Nacho upfront today? No! So why play 442? It's perverse. It was obvious midway through the first half that KDB should be central and that swapping Sterling for Nacho and going 4231 would put Arsenal under even more pressure. When Walcott came on, that became even more imperative and you assumed that he would make the change, as he always does, on the hour like clockwork. But he dithered and waited ... and sure enough they scored. So he finally makes the change and you think, okay, we have 20 minutes to go up a gear and kill this lot off. But what does he do? He takes off Fernando and Navas, who were both having great games, to bring on Yaya and Bony ... and go fucking 442 again, except now infinitely slower and ploddier. It's been like this all season. Suicidal tactics, naive formations and an insistence on playing the likes of MDM, Bony and Yaya (in a defensive two) when any fool can see it isn't working.

The turning point for me was the Chelsea game in the cup. The kids should have been blooded before then and it is inexcusable that they weren't. But to compound that by telling the world beforehand that they were going to lose and then ... and this is the part that really galls ... deliberately setting them up to lose in a 442 formation, with lads playing out of position, was outrageous. It was petulant and shoddy. He was banging on for weeks about how we were in all four competitions, yet seemed to be astounded that we might need to do some judicious rotating to accomplish that.

All season this has been going on. When we had the centreback probs, he insisted on playing his mate MDM, who should have been moved on in the summer instead of farming Denayer out. A braver manager would have put Adarabioyo or Humphreys in there as soon as MDM's lack of pace and form became obvious. How many times has he insisted on playing Yaya in a defensive two, when its obvious his legs have gone? We spent most of the season watching Yaya lumber behind someone else's nippy midfielders like a Grandad running after a bus. Anyone could see that Yaya was killing us in the Real Madrid game. It was sad, embarrassing and frustrating to see the game pass him by, in both directions.

Anyway, rant over. I thought I'd feel better after venting but I don't ... I'm still really irritated that this season, and all the progress that we had made since the takeover, has been needlessly tossed away. There is no real upside to this - Van Gaal and his clown car of a team will squeak into the Champions League. The management may try and put a brave face on us missing out, but with all the ramifications in terms of revenue, prestige, progress, etc this is a bit of a catastrophe.

Firstly, I don't have any complaints about Pellegrini's team selection today. I personally would have started Sterling instead of Iheanacho just to counter Arsenal's width and let KDB play in the middle. However, with Kelechi's recent form he more than deserved his start.

The way we started was excellent. The first 8 minutes they could hardly get the ball out of their half and I thought the atmosphere was brilliant. There was a real positive vibe around the place and it really could have been the game to save our season. We took a deserved lead and looked like the City of old who could have gave them a hammering. Then came a moment that summed up Pellegrini's reign. All of that good work undone by Clichy trying to be too clever and then conceding from a basic set piece. 1-1 and the good start and atmosphere took a proper turn for the worse. There was a sense of foreseeing how the rest of the game would pan out and it's extremely difficult to stay positive when your side is more likely to gift the opposition a goal than score. It was also clear at this point that Arsenal were shell-shocked and decided to settle for a draw. The fact Cech was taking longer to take a goal kick than Tim Howard normally does sums up Arsenal's game plan.

Now to the part where Pellegrini fucked up. It was clear to me, and many sitting around me, that just after Iheanacho wasted a good counter attacking chance Arsenal was starting to overrun our midfield. They were keeping the ball around our box and had a few good chances, most notably the one where Walcott blitzed through our defence. That was the perfect time to introduce some extra legs in midfield. Delph and Toure were options from the bench who could have gave us more energy or control in the middle but for some crazy reason Pellegrini decided to keep it as it was.

I think it there was ever a game that could sum up a managers reign then today was it. We played some very good attacking football and relied on some moments of individual brilliance. We scored a few goals and had a calamitous defence who gifted the opposition goals. To top it off we refused to show any signs of pragmatism in a game which was vital in our quest to finish in the top 4.

If we would have won today then I believe that many of the fans in the stadium would have stayed and wished Pellegrini well. The mood would have been upbeat at we would be able to look back on a season where we have won a trophy, reached a CL semi final and qualified for the CL. However, it became a game where we pretty much gave up the chance, well at least it being in our own hands, of securing CL football for next season. It kind of sums up our entire process in that we finally reach the latter stages of the CL and show we can compete with the likes of PSG and Madrid and then fail to qualify. The phrase "one step forward and two steps back" perfectly sums up Pellegrini's reign here.
Excellent post

Self-righteous people on here calling those for not staying behind after the game. I went to the game, sang and cheered the team on throughout the game. Final whistle went and I was off home. If this upsets other fans or made Pellegrini feel 'unappreciated' then so be it. I've got other things going on in my life and I give enough of my time and money to City.

I thought we played well today and showed the passion and commitment sadly lacking in so many other games this season. Crap defending cost us again - I've always backed Mangala but he was at fault for allowing Giroud a free header for their first. That was the turning point in the game. They hadn't had a kick till then. Crowd were right up for it, City already one up and well in control and we gift them such an easy goal. Gave them a foothold in the game when they hadn't even got into first gear. Second goal was everyone got sucked to the ball allowing Sanchez a free run on goal. Farcical again. Navas and Fernando were our best players and none of the subs seemed to improve us although Bony was unlucky with the volley against the bar. End of the season beckons and I'm glad it's almost over.

Sums up my thought other than the 'always rated Mangala'. But that is for another thread/day

the players and manager got the post-match response they deserved.

If they can't be arsed to achieve the bare minimum required for us then they don't deserve thanks, we've already gone through numerous price increases so we can have the "privilege" of watching the exorbitantly highly-paid so called professionals wear OUR shirt, and play for OUR team.

Today summed it up, fleeting good moments RUINED by a refusal to play properly once we'd scored and a REFUSAL by the manager to change or influence anything once it was clear that Arsenal were going to equalise unless we changed something to stop them.

They deserve what they got today. Hopefully the fallout from this will change the club for the better in the long run, they needed to learn that lesson today, they needed to learn they can't just take advantage of our loyalty and abuse it and expect to get away with it. You want to put the prices up, you want to fuck about with our kit colours, you want to keep a manager and players clearly not up to it just so you can get Pep, you want to throw away a league campaign and miss out on CL football because you took your eye of the ball and were so arrogant that you thought like your Barca days that we couldn't possibly miss out. That's fine, but you for damn sure ain't getting my applause for it.

I was delighted leaving today, because I NEVER, EVER have to watch a Pellegrini City team in the flesh ever again. It's a blessing.

He can look around the mostly empty stadium today, along with the players, and finally realise what he's done. They deserve it, they didn't live up to their side of the bargain and they got their reward today. Hope it kicks the entire club up the arse and in the long-term we fix the issues from this season, and the club starts appreciating the fans a damn site more than they have done. All they had to do was genuinely try, and they failed to do that so many times this season they didn't deserve any adulation.
Hear Hear well said quite agree

Are you telling me that when we went 2-1 up he should have done fuck all, especially as they'd made subs and were getting on top in midfield? I may know fuck all about running a training session, but I understood that if we kept things as they were we'd concede - and we did. Fucking loads of managers would have put an extra body in midfield after our equaliser because it made complete fucking sense. Waiting until they scored to change our shape was plain fucking rank management.

We had 30 mins to keep them out. We managed it for 90 against Real Madrid but for some reason we carried on playing exactly the same way. Crazy once again although I suppose if Kelechi hadn't completely fucked up when 2-1 up it might have paid off. Why he wasn't hooked at half time I don't know as not only was he poor, he was getting in the way of other players!

You represent exactly the kind of spoiled rag fans crept in here the past 8 years. Please stay away. And if you or anyone doesn't understand my remark, go and read our history books.

Do I bollocks. How dare you. It's not spoiled, in exactly the same way it wasn't spoiled to expect Alan Ball to keep us up. The expectations have changed, the requirement of the level of results have changed, but City fans have always required their manager and players to try their best and especially in the past 2 decades, achieve results we could beyond hope for. We are effectively on the verge of being "relegated" from the Champions League this season, which in the current climate is no different to being relegated from the Prem and Division 1 when we had little to no money. With the money and resources the club has, of course the expectations and requirements change, they've changed for the bloody club or they wouldn't bother trying to achieve them! Those who bang on about Division 1 and how we used to be don't have a clue about how things have "changed". We had expectations then, we got pissed off when they weren't met, just like we are now. Nothing's changed, the fans have changed very little, all that's changed is instead of missing out on Prem football, we're missing out on CL football. The only thing that's changed is the name of the competition, the requirements and expectations of the fans have only changed accordingly to the competitions the club strives for.

Anyone who kids themselves on what City fans used to be with this "settling for mediocrity and just happy to be there" bollocks hasn't a fucking clue.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.