Assessment of our business this summer | Poll Added

Go on then, rate our transfer business out of 10?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We’ve obviously brought in a number of quality players and Pep will have a plan.
My worry is replacing the circa twenty five goals that Gundogan and Mahrez got between them last season in all competitions.
It’s the heavy goals that I think we’re really going to miss.
Mahrez with two goals plus a match winning performance against Spurs when we were really struggling.
Gundogan’s goals against Liverpool, Leeds, Everton and the rags really got us over the line last season.
If you add the assists of both players, I think we’re really going to struggle to replicate what they brought.
I’ve gone for an eight out of ten.

We always find a way to score which is why we have been top scorers for the last several seasons.
It’s too simplistic to just state we are losing goals based on who scored what last year.

We’ve obviously brought in a number of quality players and Pep will have a plan.
My worry is replacing the circa twenty five goals that Gundogan and Mahrez got between them last season in all competitions.
It’s the heavy goals that I think we’re really going to miss.
Mahrez with two goals plus a match winning performance against Spurs when we were really struggling.
Gundogan’s goals against Liverpool, Leeds, Everton and the rags really got us over the line last season.
If you add the assists of both players, I think we’re really going to struggle to replicate what they brought.
I’ve gone for an eight out of ten.
This is the plan

Think our squad depth is a bit thin on the ground

Phillips, Gomez, Bobb are now back ups for regular first team players - and realistically how many would start those players in any game baring dead rubber CL matches, early FA cup games (depending upon draw) and maybe the odd home game against lower prem teams.......not many would choose them......

The defensive portion (inc goalkeeper) seems fine.....attacking mid seems very light

We need to have a bit of luck with injuries (Ie not getting them)

I think it’s one of our better windows. Especially selling wise. The new signings are shrewd in todays market, we look stronger defensively and once the newbies have bedded in and kev is back we will be offensively stronger to for me.

Mines a treble. Again.

Poll Added.

I think the Gvardiol and Kovacic signings are great. I'm hoping Doku and Nunes weren't just desperate grabs at bringing more bodies in. I rate Doku highly as I've seen him at the Euro's so hoping he does blend in well here.

Losing Gundogan is a huge blow, Mahrez was a big loss as well. We've got enough to cope with Laporte's departure and I'm not sure Palmer would have got many minutes.

Retaining Bernardo and Walker is as good as signing 2 new players as well.

Screenshot 2023-09-01 at 14.17.48.png

At a net spend of £75.5m we've done well (figures taken from Squawka).

Another big positive is we've lowered the age profile, Gundogan (32), Laporte (29), Mahrez (32), Palmer (21) to Kovacic (29), Gvardiol (21), Doku (21), Nunes (25).

I think the kind Champions League draw means we'll be able to rotate a fairly thin squad.

I did think we needed to make at least 1 signing before we lost anybody this summer, so to lose 4 and gain 4 1st teamers makes me think we're a touch short. Unless Phillips stays and plays significantly more minutes (doubtful now Nunes is here).

I'm not sure the starting XI or squad in stronger than last season though, my rating is around a 7 I think. 6 seems harsh, 8 too high. The squad depth is nagging at me though, that could drag it to a 6 before the poll closes.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.