Atmosphere - 2023/24

• Thread starter Deleted member 77198
  • Start date
Is there not an argument to be made that says once they're here a certain percentage of them will stay here even when (if) Haaland goes ?
That argument exists for locally based Haaland fans but I feel most UK based Haaland fans would follow him if he went to another English club. Foreign Haaland fans who buy stuff online but don't support City would just transfer their support to whoever he moved to, and Norwegian Haaland fans might follow the national stereotype and support the dippers.

Don’t mind the announcer. He’s been hired to do something about our atmosphere and make it more fun. The crowd seems to respond to him anyway. Alright he might be a bit OTT when he’s got the camera on but inside the ground he sounds good. We’re playing champayne football with some of the best players in the world last thing we need is a 1/2 pint of pale ale as our announcer.
So our journey to being a nouveau riche club and fan base is now complete.

I thought City vs Young Boys was a good example, if not the best example i can recall, of clashing ideologies of generating atmosphere.

On one side we had the the highly orchestrated & organised Young Boys atmosphere, that is generally more prevalent outside of the UK, and on the other side the more 'British' approach of being reactive to the action in front of you.

I don't think it's up for debate which set of fans created more noise per head in the stadium, YB's incessant chanting and noise generation was pretty constant, while us Blues did struggle to get going beyond some isolated chants, cheering goals and some mocking of the YB fans.

However I thought the negatives of both approaches were stark; the Etihad was flat from a Blue perspective, reflecting what was a thoroughly one-sided game (credit to City, no mistake) with little tension or drama and a stranglehold of control that didn't allow for pulsating attacks and high-energy individual displays. From the YB perspective, it was extremely choreographed and almost comically theatre-like at times, so much so that in a rare rare counter surge towards the edge of City's box - something surely worth getting excited about - there was no hint of changing emotions in their fans, just the continuation of the chorus they were on.

I think both sets of fans felt like they had plenty of ammo to chuck at the other during/after the match for what they perceived as 'terrible' atmospheres.

The truth is, some of the support generated in large stadium-wide chants and so forth, especially in Poland, Germany and the like, is marvelous to witness. And those nights, City at home to Real, City trashing United and so on, are spine tingling in the memory. What is the Poznan or 10 minute versions of We will Follow You Everywhere if not choreographed to a degree? surely away fans singing for 90 mins while witnessing utter shit (and Blues are surely very familiar with this in memory) have no on-pitch activities to rely on and so make their own fun, is that not what YB did in-extremis?

As i say, in my opinion, I would rather City fans were neither of the two extremes on show on Tuesday. I love a bit of huge crowd involvement, heavily interspersed with reactive emotion led atmosphere.

I thought City vs Young Boys was a good example, if not the best example i can recall, of clashing ideologies of generating atmosphere.

On one side we had the the highly orchestrated & organised Young Boys atmosphere, that is generally more prevalent outside of the UK, and on the other side the more 'British' approach of being reactive to the action in front of you.

I don't think it's up for debate which set of fans created more noise per head in the stadium, YB's incessant chanting and noise generation was pretty constant, while us Blues did struggle to get going beyond some isolated chants, cheering goals and some mocking of the YB fans.

However I thought the negatives of both approaches were stark; the Etihad was flat from a Blue perspective, reflecting what was a thoroughly one-sided game (credit to City, no mistake) with little tension or drama and a stranglehold of control that didn't allow for pulsating attacks and high-energy individual displays. From the YB perspective, it was extremely choreographed and almost comically theatre-like at times, so much so that in a rare rare counter surge towards the edge of City's box - something surely worth getting excited about - there was no hint of changing emotions in their fans, just the continuation of the chorus they were on.

I think both sets of fans felt like they had plenty of ammo to chuck at the other during/after the match for what they perceived as 'terrible' atmospheres.

The truth is, some of the support generated in large stadium-wide chants and so forth, especially in Poland, Germany and the like, is marvelous to witness. And those nights, City at home to Real, City trashing United and so on, are spine tingling in the memory. What is the Poznan or 10 minute versions of We will Follow You Everywhere if not choreographed to a degree? surely away fans singing for 90 mins while witnessing utter shit (and Blues are surely very familiar with this in memory) have no on-pitch activities to rely on and so make their own fun, is that not what YB did in-extremis?

As i say, in my opinion, I would rather City fans were neither of the two extremes on show on Tuesday. I love a bit of huge crowd involvement, heavily interspersed with reactive emotion led atmosphere.
I think I watched about 20 minutes of the match on Tuesday, couldn't take my eyes off those jokers in the away section and what they were up to. A few hundred Blues probably did the same as well

So our journey to being a nouveau riche club and fan base is now complete.
I wouldn't worry about it. I think we should learn to embrace it. It's just another way the club is moving with the times. They're trying to make the match going experience more fun and get the crowd more engaged. Besides I think they're aiming it at the younger generation and not the old fuddy duddys like you and I.

Last edited:
Genuine question, do you really find a goal celebration more enjoyable because of his input ?
Not particularly I much prefer those brilliant days of limbs in the away end (Pompey and Oxford) but I can appreciate what the club is doing to ramp up the crowd. I mean is not as if the fans are going berserk when we score a goal at home. It's more like a round of applause most of the time so anything the club can do to make it more fun especially with the cost of a ticket these days the better.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.