Atmosphere - 2023/24

• Thread starter Deleted member 77198
  • Start date
Barcelona are the club that gorged itself on tourists and their €€€€ - but playing away from the Nou Camp and the tourists have disappeared and they are left with a half full stadium. Leeds had a bigger attendance in the Championship that the club that thinks of itself as the biggest in the world.

We are going down the same route.

I’m sure Soriano & Co expect our support not to drop off post Pep, with another 2 seasons of trophy success via Pep, increasing our growing international and tourist matchday fan base.

I don’t wanna hang on until it gets to the point where I start really disliking what we’ve become. It’s like a marriage where you’re unhappy but you still love her, it’s better to bail before the simmering resentment turns to hatred

It's an odd one. I feel the club and it's employees don't have a lot of time for the old time fans. We place demands on them, ask questions and will complain. Tourists will pay over the odds, are happy to attend a game and spend more money. They cause no issues in comparison to ourselves.

I’m sure Soriano & Co expect our support not to drop off post Pep, with another 2 seasons of trophy success via Pep, increasing our growing international and tourist matchday fan base.

It's fickle support though that will swap alliance as quickly as they latched onto our recent success.

I’m sorry you feel that way. You must be pretty down to want City relegated. No more Europe, no more cup runs just average football played in front of 30k in a half filled stadium.
We’ve got for more than 30K hardcore fans. And with seats becoming available, and with season tickets and match day tickets going down in price, ‘possibly’, we might see a return of local fans who have been priced out of PL matches by the club.

I don’t want to see City relegated and tarnished as cheats, but 1 season in the championship, and a wake up call for the people running the club might not be a bad thing, if that’s 1 positive from City being relegated by the corrupt PL.

I think City won’t be found guilty by the (PL) independent panel. But I would wouldn’t I, being a City fan. :-)

It's an odd one. I feel the club and it's employees don't have a lot of time for the old time fans. We place demands on them, ask questions and will complain. Tourists will pay over the odds, are happy to attend a game and spend more money. They cause no issues in comparison to ourselves.
We have the right to complain though, as we're the ones who've devoted our lives and spent Tens of Thousands following this club.

What the club is doing now is incredibly narrow minded, and with Barcelona as a prime example, may come back to haunt us

Think people are conflating a few different things in this thread, and I'm honestly not as convinced as others that there is a deep "local" support desperate to come to games for a realistic price. I also think people should be careful for what they wish for, as well. If you want shite football in a half full stadium of only regional accents then you can go to Bolton for the bargain price of £30 and shite football.

if you want shite football in a half full stadium of only regional accents then you can go to Bolton for the bargain price of £30 and shite football.

That’s a bit of an extreme example. We won the league plenty of times and large parts of the match going support have regional accents and are from greater Manchester. It’s not either or

Yes there’s more tourists, but the core of our support is still here for now. Shit football or not. The club are trying to remove that support though.

Reasonable ticket prices and not giving huge amounts of tickets to agencies - most city fans would be happy

That’s one of the reasons why the face to face meetings with the fans was stopped. All the Legacy and FOC’s ever did was complain. ;-) You could see the City representatives thinking here we go again. :-(

I'm 60 next year, and my priorities are starting to change. The whole matchday experience is becoming less enjoyable, and whilst I still travel to most games home and away,(and stupid enough to fly to a dead rubber in Belgrade next week) it won't be for much longer.

My favourite time is the pre-match camaraderie with the same lads, many of whom I've literally known for 50 years. However, I've now reached the stage where a late equalizer for Chelsea, Liverpool, or Tottenham is like a dagger through the heart, whereas in the 80s and 90s, each defeat was accepted with a desperate cry of frustration, but soon forgotten.

It's a fairly old-school atmosphere in Block 219/220 and it certainly doesn't irritate me as much as the cokeheads at the away games or the smokers making it so much harder to have a peaceful piss at Molineux or the Emirates.

However, I'm also sensing that some posters (myself included) are probably yearning for something that didn't quite happen the way they remember.

Football was a lot cheaper in the 80s, but the crowds were appalling.
Now it's expensive, and we've got huge waiting lists, not just for tourists, but for young families and a whole generation who've grown up with the most successful Manchester City in our entire history.

I only missed 3 away games last season, but apart from Wolves and Leeds, the home support was no different to the ETIHAD, and if it suddenly became noisy at United, Liverpool, or Spurs, it was only because they were sensing an impending City defeat.

It's more than 30 years since Nick Hornby wrote FEVER PITCH, but even then, he was complaining about Highbury's expanding nouveau support, and how the atmosphere was only impressive, if Arsenal were losing 2-0, but playing well, and it felt as though the crowd were kicking every ball and gradually lifting the team towards an epic comeback.
Even in 1992, with Arsenal once more crowned League Champions, Hornby was still yearning for the less successful team of his youth.

That certainly resonates with me.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.