Atmosphere - 2023/24

• Thread starter Deleted member 77198
  • Start date
I stand corrected in this. City Matters Reps have asked the club for a detailed breakdown of away tickets, but the club won’t give them that information to put out in the public domain. I don’t recall that information on the City Matters minutes or being posted on BM, etc.

Think people are conflating a few different things in this thread, and I'm honestly not as convinced as others that there is a deep "local" support desperate to come to games for a realistic price. I also think people should be careful for what they wish for, as well. If you want shite football in a half full stadium of only regional accents then you can go to Bolton for the bargain price of £30 and shite football.

We're City fans, why would we want to go to Bolton or even Stockport or Altrincham? I believe the price for Spurs was £71 a ticket. If that's the case it's a pisstake, especially for a game live on sky. 28,000+ of us turned up week after week to watch shite football for years, I know I was one of them. At least we could afford to go and get into away games easily if we chose to. We all understand football is big business now and we've had success beyond our wildest dreams but there has to be a balance.

What is it now, £35 for a membership to even buy a ticket? You're also thrown into a hat to buy a ticket with somebody who bought a membership the day before, even if you've had a membership for ten years? It's ludicrous if this is true.

I'm 60 next year, and my priorities are starting to change. The whole matchday experience is becoming less enjoyable, and whilst I still travel to most games home and away,(and stupid enough to fly to a dead rubber in Belgrade next week) it won't be for much longer.

My favourite time is the pre-match camaraderie with the same lads, many of whom I've literally known for 50 years. However, I've now reached the stage where a late equalizer for Chelsea, Liverpool, or Tottenham is like a dagger through the heart, whereas in the 80s and 90s, each defeat was accepted with a desperate cry of frustration, but soon forgotten.

It's a fairly old-school atmosphere in Block 219/220 and it certainly doesn't irritate me as much as the cokeheads at the away games or the smokers making it so much harder to have a peaceful piss at Molineux or the Emirates.

However, I'm also sensing that some posters (myself included) are probably yearning for something that didn't quite happen the way they remember.

Football was a lot cheaper in the 80s, but the crowds were appalling.
Now it's expensive, and we've got huge waiting lists, not just for tourists, but for young families and a whole generation who've grown up with the most successful Manchester City in our entire history.

I only missed 3 away games last season, but apart from Wolves and Leeds, the home support was no different to the ETIHAD, and if it suddenly became noisy at United, Liverpool, or Spurs, it was only because they were sensing an impending City defeat.

It's more than 30 years since Nick Hornby wrote FEVER PITCH, but even then, he was complaining about Highbury's expanding nouveau support, and how the atmosphere was only impressive, if Arsenal were losing 2-0, but playing well, and it felt as though the crowd were kicking every ball and gradually lifting the team towards an epic comeback.
Even in 1992, with Arsenal once more crowned League Champions, Hornby was still yearning for the less successful team of his youth.

That certainly resonates with me.

You speak for many mate.

I called it a day during last season and cashed in my season card via the ticket exchange.

It's not been the same 'fun' for a few years imo. There's just something about the City Group approach that I don't feel I can get on board with, particularly the 'fan experience' shite and obsession with attracting tourists.

I've never really got my head around Eastlands/Etihad. It's never felt like home to me. In line with most FOCs, I miss Maine Road.

Let the youngsters have it. I'll stick to watching the Blues on TV / dodgy streams and save a fortune.

Up the Blues!

In the CBS, the ES, and the NS, when people around you are pretty much discouraging you to sing, sit there in silence, watching their mobiles, taking pictures and videos, and doing everything and anything bar supporting the team, what chance does the odd person have to try and get songs and the atmosphere going in the row, the block, and the stand?

Yes, the fans are responsible to an extend, but Khaldoon, Soriano, Danny Wilson, and those at the club tasked with driving match day revenue at all costs and by any means possible, regardless of it effecting the match day atmopshere are the real culprits and the people to blame. Their decisions based on match day revenue growth and income have had a direct and detrimental effect on City’s legacy match going fan base and the atmosphere in general.
It's always been like that, Maine Road the same, stop making scapegoats.

That’s one of the reasons why the face to face meetings with the fans was stopped. All the Legacy and FOC’s ever did was complain. ;-) You could see the City representatives thinking here we go again. :-(

There are two ways you can look at complaints. They can be viewed as whinging, or they can be looked at as extremely experienced fans, making some valid points amongst the whinging, that could be used to improve things. Every meeting in whatever concept is usually a lot of pointing out things that people are not happy with and/or can be improved.

We're City fans, why would we want to go to Bolton or even Stockport or Altrincham? I believe the price for Spurs was £71 a ticket. If that's the case it's a pisstake, especially for a game live on sky. 28,000+ of us turned up week after week to watch shite football for years, I know I was one of them. At least we could afford to go and get into away games easily if we chose to. We all understand football is big business now and we've had success beyond our wildest dreams but there has to be a balance.

What is it now, £35 for a membership to even buy a ticket? You're also thrown into a hat to buy a ticket with somebody who bought a membership the day before, even if you've had a membership for ten years? It's ludicrous if this is true.
What price is a ticket for the theatre or a concert ? The same mate

Reasonable ticket prices and not giving huge amounts of tickets to agencies - most city fans would be happy
I'd love cheaper tickets, but that would just drive demand for tourists not dampen it.

And honestly I've not seen any evidence that City are giving agencies preferential treatment. We are a hot ticket and gray market sellers do what gray market sellers do for hot tickets.

I'm very pro cheaper tickets, but £71 is the going rate for PL tickets, and cheaper tickets just means tourists and touts pay less. Given this is the atmosphere thread I don't think charging, say, a flat £50 will entice fans who have drifted away back nor materially change the type of matchday crowd.

I don't for one second think the club are selling batch tickets to secondary market sellers as I don't think it is worth their time or effort to do so. The £30 is partly to try and limit that, though clearly it's not negating it entirely.

My main point is really pushing back a touch on the narrative that has taken hold here that if only City charged £x then x number of traditional blues would stream back and the atmosphere problem, if it is a problem, would be solved. I don't think it's that simple.

You speak for many mate.

I called it a day during last season and cashed in my season card via the ticket exchange.

It's not been the same 'fun' for a few years imo. There's just something about the City Group approach that I don't feel I can get on board with, particularly the 'fan experience' shite and obsession with attracting tourists.

I've never really got my head around Eastlands/Etihad. It's never felt like home to me. In line with most FOCs, I miss Maine Road.

Let the youngsters have it. I'll stick to watching the Blues on TV / dodgy streams and save a fortune.

Up the Blues!
Maine Road ended up a dogs dinner

Summed it up perfectly, that’s exactly how I feel pal.

I’ve had a season ticket since 83/84 but won’t be renewing this time, enough’s enough
Jeez, best City team ever, best team possibly in history and blues are ducking out, fucking embarrassing, I'm sure a lot of the f.o.c pine for when we were shit with 25 thousand rattling round maine road...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.