Atmosphere - 2023/24

• Thread starter Deleted member 77198
  • Start date
I know I will be be criticised for this, but I wonder how many others are simply in awe at the fantastic skill and talent on display and just want to concentrate on the fantastic football on show. Obviously at a goal , exceptional piece of skill or welcoming the team ect. cheer and sing to your hearts content, but I don't think we have ever gone in for the inane chanting or the mawkish over sentimentalised attitude some clubs have to a particular song.

Think there is a lot of revisionism about what it was like back in the day. Maine Rd was often half empty and the atmosphere was very much hit and miss. There was also the spectacle of thousands leaving the ground 10 minutes before the end.
Maine Rd was my happy place had the best times of my life there however it was not always the Bear pit its made out to be. Can still taste the atmosphere at the Boro semi in 76, the 3 1 against Liverpool in 77 wish we were and the Wigan play off. But can remember watching Wimbledon and Oxford in the old first division with 18,000 hardy souls as silent as the grave. The best season for consistent atmosphere was 99 as specially after Christmas. Wish we were back there now with Kippax in full voice, nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

In the 70's i could get in the ground for £7 and my wages were roughly £70 per week net at the time , so it was an outlay of 10% of my wages , our tickets now are £60-70 and so if you are earning £350-450 net a week thats nearer 20% of your income. We were a decent team during the 70's and had some big players but nowhere near this level , its definitely more expensive for working class supporters.

Some near me have been going since the sixties, they never join in the songs or even stand up to applaud players off the pitch. People like them you mean?

Embarrassing this thread.
If they have been going since the sixties, they may well be 80 years old. If I’m healthy enough just to get to the Etihad at that age I’ll be chuffed.

Worst atmosphere of the season in SS3.

Not one song being sung with any gusto, probably not helped with the wetness and empty seats in fact, the empty blue seats at home song was the best of our efforts.
That's because I'm in Tenerife and not in 315. Sorry for my absence, I won't be letting you all down again this season.

I know I will be be criticised for this, but I wonder how many others are simply in awe at the fantastic skill and talent on display and just want to concentrate on the fantastic football on show. Obviously at a goal , exceptional piece of skill or welcoming the team ect. cheer and sing to your hearts content, but I don't think we have ever gone in for the inane chanting or the mawkish over sentimentalised attitude some clubs have to a particular song.
What! Going to a watch a match, have a pint, talk to your friends, respond to the action on the pitch....and you call yourself a football fan. The criticism for not joining in with chanting or singing is getting a bit silly. Putting the singers together is the surely the main effort. Will allow the rest of us to watch the game without pressure to sing. The new end is the big chance to try make it better for singers. The vast majority of fans just want to watch the football, it's the same at every ground. There is some misplaced misty-eyed nostalgia about the hopping athmospheres of yesteryear, yes there was occasionally, but never at home to Burnley on a wet January mid-week.

Do you know what I would love to do. Just go in the North stand for one game and sing champions again ole ole non stop for the first 45 mins. Then second half sing boys in blue non stop until final whistle. Do you think I would piss people off around me for doing that. I dont have to stand up or anything and there is no swearing in those songs. Would just like to see what would happen.
Fill your boots mate. Whatever makes you a happier fan. After all, the football isnt worth watching

If they have been going since the sixties, they may well be 80 years old. If I’m healthy enough just to get to the Etihad at that age I’ll be chuffed.
Early 60s in age, not much ahead of me. I get the impression they've always been the way they were tbh, which doesn't bother me, people can do what they want it's still a free country. But being told when to bounce up and down and what to sing is not for me neither. I'm usually quite vocal but you know what, last night I was freezing and pissed wet through and just couldn't be arsed. I don't care what Pep thinks, if he wants to swap the match day experience for a day, I'm game.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.