BA Cabin Crew

Skashion said:
Nice to see some optimism but it's not optimism I share. The minute a strike might inconvenience people, the British public will not support it. Without public support, strikes will fail. There also seems to be a 'macho' attitude to striking in this country whereby any strike is met with the following reaction: "What are they complaining about, they're lucky to have jobs, or else; my Dad used to work down t'mines twenty-six hours a day and a loaf of bread had to last all thirty-seven of us all week".

Would you agree that some of these attitudes comes from the comments mades on 24 hour news media?

mat said:
Skashion said:
Nice to see some optimism but it's not optimism I share. The minute a strike might inconvenience people, the British public will not support it. Without public support, strikes will fail. There also seems to be a 'macho' attitude to striking in this country whereby any strike is met with the following reaction: "What are they complaining about, they're lucky to have jobs, or else; my Dad used to work down t'mines twenty-six hours a day and a loaf of bread had to last all thirty-seven of us all week".

Would you agree that some of these attitudes comes from the comments mades on 24 hour news media?

What do you mean. Do you mean, do my perceptions of that attitude come from the media? Or, do you mean, does the media influence these attitudes?

Skashion said:
mat said:

What do you mean. Do you mean, do my perceptions of that attitude come from the media? Or, do you mean, does the media influence these attitudes?

Does the media influence these attitudes?

When the first strikes occured they went all out to show the 'inconvienience' it caused to passengers rather than air the unions grievances.

mat said:
Skashion said:

When the first strikes occured they went all out to show the 'inconvienience' it caused to passengers rather than air the unions grievances.

Undoubtedly so. The public relies upon the media to get their information but the mainstream media are owned by those with similar interests to those of [insert company] execs. Whenever there is a hint of a conflict between workers and management the mainstream media will side with management. This applies even to media which, in order to sell papers, claim to represent the interests of the working class. The mainstream media does not exist to provide information vital to the upholding of a democracy, they exist to saturate the public conciousness with the viewpoint of their rich proprietors.

mat said:
Skashion said:

At a recently convened Branch Delegates Seminar, that is why i said that the Unions, their reps, and members need to get organised and up to date with modern means of communication, when the pepers print lies about industrial disputes, it is not enough to rely on the General Secretary, or the President or even a Branch Chair to get the truth out, as a 5 minute interview will be condensed to a 10 - 30 soundbite, but the comments pages message boards and forums like this, and the news related sites are where you can get the truth out to a wider audience.

A bunch of middle-class suburban psuedo-anarchists kicking off because they have been rumbled and now have to work for a living......yawn .

Skashion said:
The trade union movement is already dead in this country.

very nearly true. what is unusual about this dispute, is that the vast majority of the union membership involved, would probably be classed, and class themselves as middle class. these red`s under the bed are potential Tory and Lib/Dem voters, its a bit ironic that these`s same people would possibly have backed thatcher against the miners

Skashion said:
mat said:

Undoubtedly so. The public relies upon the media to get their information but the mainstream media are owned by those with similar interests to those of [insert company] execs. Whenever there is a hint of a conflict between workers and management the mainstream media will side with management. This applies even to media which, in order to sell papers, claim to represent the interests of the working class. The mainstream media does not exist to provide information vital to the upholding of a democracy, they exist to saturate the public conciousness with the viewpoint of their rich proprietors.

Murdoch has already payed lord snooty a visit in number 10 to reap his reward ...watch out the BBC

democracy ...don`t make me laugh

Tony Woodley is on 120k a year ,more than the Prime Minister, what a gig he's sorted for himself for being a workshy rabble-rouser .

Lucas North said:
Tony Woodley is on 120k a year ,more than the Prime Minister, what a gig he's sorted for himself for being a workshy rabble-rouser .

Are you a UNITE member and know that as a fact or are you just quoting the sun?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.