Balotelli: being a " character" is not enough (merged)

Re: being a " character" is not enough

JoeMercer'sWay said:
10 games, 2 months, 0 goals. £24m, off the field antics bringing club into bad headlines, attitude stinks, doesn't use his potential fully, needs pre-match re-assurance hugs of the captain, only bothers when he wants.

And whats your point? Silva has not been scored bags of goals he cost more than Mario. Rooney is on £250 000 a week and he went over 3 months no goals. Bad headlines are you serious?. Mario has made this club more popular and well known, next time ask at the City store his shirt is the highest selling shirt worldwide. He is the face of the new Nike campaign they would drop him if any of his antics were serious. Balotelli sells papers nothing he does is that serious just he is a headline maker. Torres 50 mil £200 000 a weak 1 goal in 18 games. Stop making shit up that hug was to show that the press stories are bollocks and they are friends. He was involved in both goals today, the goal last week. Was one the reasons we won at Wembley as he ran their defense ragged. 4th place 7 points clear, FA cup final. First season in England 20 years old yet 10 goals after two serious injuries. Balotelli has been good for us and will be great in the future. David Villa £58 million 0 goals 18 games playing for Barcelona.

Re: All this "OMG, I love Balotelli, wot a legend, OMG" stuff

well im 30, i wouldnt really say that was young. i just think he does things that no other player does and it is basically an enigma (on the field) with effortless talent, and i would suggest that his off the field personality is the reason why alot of people dislike him.

i dont know who he is shagging or what car he drives, but am interested if you know.

blue_taff said:
for me mario is one of the best players ive ever seen, can produce something from nothing, extremely versatile, creative, , size and strength and movement / positioning is world class. attitude is a worry i guess, but for me he is the real deal

And thats the myth. He's done fuck all world class since we have signed him. He hasn't produced anything out of nothing. His runs and positioning are ok but just that- ok. He is not a world class player and I don't know where people are getting this from. Messi, Ronaldo, even Robinho they are players that "make something out of nothing" now compare their last 5 games to Balotelli's. Exactly.

Re: All this

forevermancity said:
Did ok today.

Next season we need him to step it up to great, with the ok games as the lowest performance. I have confidence in him that he can step it up

Agreed.

I found the immediate negative reaction to him even when he was scoring pretty troubling. I stuck up for him a lot at that time as I felt that many of the cards he picked up were extremely harsh. Every new player gets a grace period in my book, around a season and a bit. That will run out very quickly if he takes more than one backwards step next year. For now, he's doing a job and we're winning. I'm amazed when people say they can't see any talent... we've seen he can send in accurate piledrivers from any distance, we've seen 20 yarders into the corner with no backlift, we've seen an exquisite volley finish.... haven't we?

I'm not too worried about him going 10 games without. He has hit the post, forced clearances, missed a couple of sitters, but the main thing is he is getting those positions. Tevez hasn't done much better recently, and we don't doubt his class. I'd worry if he was going 3/4 games without getting a chance.

It's also worth noting this run coincides with his move into the centre. He's played on the left for most of his career, and if taking on more responsibility has come at the expense of some of the more instinctive features of his game, that seems par for the course.

Even more than that, this is probably his longest sustained spell as a first teamer, probably the longest he's gone without a goal. It's a new experience, and I think it's playing on his mind a little. He did appear distracted towards the end. Here's hoping this is just another learning experience.

As for the fanboys... well, who cares. We all respond to different characters.

I personally wouldnt mind seeing him go.

blue_taff said:
well im 30, i wouldnt really say that was young. i just think he does things that no other player does and it is basically an enigma (on the field) with effortless talent, and i would suggest that his off the field personality is the reason why alot of people dislike him.

This. I'm younger than 30 (but over 18) and he just does some brilliant things. Some of them are so audacious that I don't think even Ronaldo would attempt them. That pass to Silva that led to the corner, that resulted in the goal. Who else would've pulled that off?

Re: being a " character" is not enough

great movement, great finisher and he winds the munichs up. whats to hate???

as i said splits opinion, and it is true what the op said, it does seem to be a generation divide on this matter. only time wil tell. i do feel if he goes, then alot of people may live to eat some humble pie about this lad.

JohnMaddocksAxe said:
strongbowholic said:
Needs our support, not the abuse he was getting today.

Well, that's a different topic and I agree with you. (Although every player is going to be subject to several "FFS" shouts if they mess up and a bit of slagging off if they look like they aren't putting it in or aren't up to it on a regular basis. That's the way it goes in football. It's when people decide they are going to have a negative reaction to a player before that get to a match that there is a problem. Or when they boo them or cheer when they are subbed. Everyone shouts criticism throughout a match though)
Good point well put. As infuriating as the kid can be, he didn't need it today.

Back on topic though... as I said earlier, I can see bags of potential but he's an enormous managment overhead. If Mancini can coax a song out of him, he must surely go down as one of the greats as Balo seems 'unhandle-able' for the most part. A million miles from legend at the moment, but if he gets his head right could quite easily be stratospheric.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.