Ban the Grand National?

The cookie monster said:
Dubai Blue said:
nijinsky's fetlocks said:
Most decent human beings actually do care about each other,and don't think they deserve to die because of the job they do that puts food on the table.
There you go again. I don't think anyone 'deserves to die'. That's a very different concept to not having sympathy for someone after the event.

You have gone on record saying you wouldnt give a fucking shit if a jockey died or any other folk who die doing the job they love..

Dont you find that a bizarre thing to say?
Not really, no. Why should I care if Jenson Button drives his car into a wall at 200mph and dies? There are people much more deserving of my sympathy than the person who voluntarily chose to get into that car for no other reason than the thrill, knowing full well that it could eventually kill him.

At no point, however, does that equate to me thinking he deserves to die. Only someone who can't read would possibly translate it that way.

Dubai Blue said:
Not really, no. Why should I care if Jenson Button drives his car into a wall at 200mph and dies? There are people much more deserving of my sympathy than the person who voluntarily chose to get into that car for no other reason than the thrill, knowing full well that it could eventually kill him.
Do you only have a limited store of sympathy? Do you fear you will use it all up on these pillocks that do something will an element of danger in it?

Then you may lose a friend and be like "Oh fuck, I used up all my sympathy on a base jumper yesterday"

Yet more hair splitting and backtracking.
Just quit whilst your way behind,as you are beginning to look silly.
How the fuck is it hair splitting and backtracking? You're the one who is wrongly accusing me of stating that I think all people who ride horses deserve to die.

I never said anything like that, yet you're repeating it ad nauseum.

SWP's back said:
Dubai Blue said:
Do you only have a limited store of sympathy? Do you fear you will use it all up on these pillocks that do something will an element of danger in it?

Then you may lose a friend and be like "Oh fuck, I used up all my sympathy on a base jumper yesterday"
It's just something that's not going to affect my day as I wouldn't get upset about it. Perhaps you would, and that's fine.

Dubai Blue said:
The cookie monster said:
Dubai Blue said:
There you go again. I don't think anyone 'deserves to die'. That's a very different concept to not having sympathy for someone after the event.

You have gone on record saying you wouldnt give a fucking shit if a jockey died or any other folk who die doing the job they love..

At no point, however, does that equate to me thinking he deserves to die. Only someone who can't read would possibly translate it that way.
So if it was a member of your family or a close friend you would still have this same stance on not giving a shit?

SWP's back said:
Dubai Blue said:

And here's me thinking that Jenson Button gets behind the wheel of a Formula One car because it is his job,for which he earns a living.
Apparently he now does it for 'no reason other than the thrill',according to our resident genius.
I was clearly under the misapprehension that he got paid for risking his life.
You learn something new every day.

SWP's back said:
Dubai Blue said:

And here's me thinking that Jenson Button gets behind the wheel of a Formula One car because it is his job,for which he earns a living.
Apparently he now does it for 'no reason other than the thrill',according to our resident genius.

You see you cant trust Button because he has a beard

The cookie monster said:
Dubai Blue said:
The cookie monster said:

So if it was a member of your family or a close friend you would still have this same stance on not giving a shit?
Of course I would give a shit; that would be a personal loss and would have a direct and personal impact on me.

As is perfectly normal on this forum, NF is painting me as some rabid anti-horseriding fundamentalist who wants to destroy his sport, simply because I have a stance that he doesn't agree with.

I have no desire to see jump racing or any other form of horse racing banned. I do think it should be made safer though, as I have already made clear, by reducing the number of riders and addressing the huge drops on the landing side of the fences.

What I don't think is that all people connected to the sport deserve to die.

BoyBlue_1985 said:
SWP's back said:

You see you cant trust Button because he has a beard

I don't think i've ever seen a jockey with a beard.
Come to think of it,you don't see many beardy footballers either.
I may start a 'beards in sport' thread.
Or not.

johnmc said:
So NF and SWP's Back, are you telling us you have sympathy with everyone who dies?

I don't think somebody deserves to die simply because they do a job that contains a risk element,and that risk element kills them.
To say 'well,he was a motor racing driver,or a jockey,so no great loss' is simply a very inhumane way to view the death of a human being.
Every job in the world probably has the potential for injury,but I don't say 'goes with the territory,so I don't give a fuck' if a joyrider mows down a lollypop lady.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.