Banner at Celtic today

ernesto said:
since when has it been compulsery to wear a poppy ? just wondered before the the righteous decends

Its not really about the poppy its the disrespecting of the remembrance.

In Flanders Fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
5993402354a7357390329l.jpg

John Reid.

Former Secretary of State for Great Britain.
Former Secretary of Defence of Great Britain.
Former Secretary of State for Northern Ireland.

CURRENT Chairman of Celtic.

This man laid wreathes at the Cenotaph. If he lets this go, if he doesnt force Celtic to ackowledge the Poppies and what they represent, its a joke.<br /><br />-- Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:25 am --<br /><br />John Reid.

Former Secretary of State for Great Britain.
Former Secretary of Defence of Great Britain.
Former Secretary of State for Northern Ireland.

CURRENT Chairman of Celtic.

This man laid wreathes at the Cenotaph. If he lets this go, if he doesnt force Celtic to ackowledge the Poppies and what they represent, its a joke.

Fair play to them. If they don't feel comfortable with what the poppy represents and them having it on their shirts, they should be free to make that point. Should be kept out of football in the first place. Poppies should be a matter for the individual.

If this how they feel then they are showing their true ignorance. Poppy day came about for the remembrance of the fallen in the 1st world war. Did Scottish troops not shower themselves in glory. like every other man who fought for what was right. No one is saying wear a poppy. I am against war of any kind. But still believe in honouring those who have given their lives. 1. 2 x world wars, Falklands etc. 2. N.Ireland where a minority wanted to make a united Eire. But enough of them come over here & take our jobs. 3. Iraq, Afganistan, where we all know terrorist groups are welcomed.
Now if the Scottish people feel so strong about becoming independant I for one would let them. Half my wife's family live Nth of the border. They are the clever ones who say they need to part of the UK. Without it they would have to form a new goverment. Which would mean they would have to apply to become part of the EU. Meaning untill that happend they would need passports to leave their country. Those here probally more than in their own country. Would need work visa's not being part of the EU. Plus they would have to form their own alliances with the likes of the USA. But seeing they are our allies they would'nt want to do that. Sorry for going on about it. But it makes my blood boil. If a English team supported a banner simular. Shit would fly about it. Before I sign off I do not sing Munich songs. Let the innocent dead lie in peace. Before anyone says it I am not a faggott.

i thought this would have got binned hours ago,obviously not.
there is probably 50-60% of the Celtic faithful with Irish connections,some way or another,i am one of them.
a lot of lives were lost in "the troubles" from both sides i may add.
but,some of the horrendous things the British Army done to the Catholics in a lot of towns,cities,villages in Ireland were well out of order.
i am neither pro or anti IRA btw.
a lot of these people will never forget being forced out their homes at 4 in the morning,without cause.
i know the IRA done terrible things on British land.
This is why the anti - poppy message.

this is about my 10th time of saying this..
every time a Celtic/Rangers thread gets brought up,it comes to this shit.
MODS,no more please...CTID.

gerrygowsjockstrap said:
If this how they feel then they are showing their true ignorance. Poppy day came about for the remembrance of the fallen in the 1st world war. Did Scottish troops not shower themselves in glory. like every other man who fought for what was right. No one is saying wear a poppy. I am against war of any kind. But still believe in honouring those who have given their lives. 1. 2 x world wars, Falklands etc. 2. N.Ireland where a minority wanted to make a united Eire. But enough of them come over here & take our jobs. 3. Iraq, Afganistan, where we all know terrorist groups are welcomed.
Now if the Scottish people feel so strong about becoming independant I for one would let them. Half my wife's family live Nth of the border. They are the clever ones who say they need to part of the UK. Without it they would have to form a new goverment. Which would mean they would have to apply to become part of the EU. Meaning untill that happend they would need passports to leave their country. Those here probally more than in their own country. Would need work visa's not being part of the EU. Plus they would have to form their own alliances with the likes of the USA. But seeing they are our allies they would'nt want to do that. Sorry for going on about it. But it makes my blood boil. If a English team supported a banner simular. Shit would fly about it. Before I sign off I do not sing Munich songs. Let the innocent dead lie in peace. Before anyone says it I am not a faggott.

Very good post, I remember everyone not just our own. The germans the jews maybe even the Italians now because of Mancini ;).<br /><br />-- Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:48 am --<br /><br />
TTTCITYBHOY said:
there is probably 50-60% of the Celtic faithful with Irish connections,some way or another,i am one of them.
but,some of the horrendous things the British Army done to the Catholics in a lot of towns,cities,villages in Ireland were well out of order.
a lot of these people will never forget being forced out their homes at 4 in the morning,without cause.

All true and very fair points, but surely they want to remember there own dead?

They see themselves as Irish and Anti British regardless of the fact they are based in Britain.

With all the history between Britain and Ireland i can understand their dissapproval of the SPL's decision to print poppies on all teams shirts next weekend.

They have a right to protest on something they do not agree with that is being forced upon them.

All of this has been brought about because of Poppy Facism, i hate it, the true meaning of the poppies and what they stand for has been erased, they are merely a fundrasier to help the ex squaddies.

TTTCITYBHOY said:

Well said mate,as soon as i saw this thread this morning i thought i would give it a wide berth as it always dives into the usual shit.As people can see from my location i could go on all day about the rights and wrongs of all this.For what it's worth then here's my view (with no offence intended to anyone ) i and my family have suffered over the years from british army action here in the north,does that make me pro violence ? no it does not,does it make me want to disrespect poppy day ? no it does not.You see i'am a keen student of history and as a matter of fact am not long back from the normandy d-day landing beaches and army graves,i have been wanting to go for quite a while, and what struck me apart from the sheer scale of the whole operation was the whole range of countries and ages of men and women who died in this outstanding historic crusade to free europe.To me to disrespect anyone, man or woman, no matter where they came from and no matter what religion they practiced, and what country they repersented ,who took any part in that fantastic liberation just does not make any sense to me . Having said all that i think the best policy in cases like this is to ignore those people with the banner as you will never convince any of them of your viewpoint.So with that am off for some breakfast.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.