Banning smoking in beer gardens

How do you legislate when people who see someone spark up and make a beeline to them so that they can cough a bit and cause a scene ?

:)
Do you mind? Can you do that somewhere else?

phoebe-buffay.gif

Last edited:
According to a YouGov poll on the policy proposals

61% support the ban overall. 28% against it. With the remainder not bothered.

Of that, 76% vs 21% for outside hospitals
72% vs 22% for outside sports grounds
51% vs 43% for beer gardens.

Worth noting that the proposed ban covers all 3, the discussion here focuses mostly on beer gardens.

Only 10% of smokers would support the ban for beer gardens, but almost half of smokers would support the other two. There is a political spectrum breakdown, but might be a distraction, is neither relevant imo, nor surprising.

They’re all very different issues though.

A driver who drives safely, sticking to the laws of he road and never causes harm to anyone else in his car is doing nothing wrong. But if he causes harm to others through his driving will likely be charged with a crime.
Someone with a knife that self harms only harms themselves, but if he started harming others with the knife he’d likely be charged for a crime.

But your smoking inside pubs may have caused a non-smoking barman’s death from lung cancer that he got from passively inhaling your cigarettes for years for all you know, and that doesn’t see you charged with a crime.

The way they got you to stop harming others was by banning smoking inside pubs. For that alone it was absolutely right for the smoking ban to be introduced.

Even as an ex-smoker, and even at the time I smoked, if someone said there was going to be a worldwide ban on cigarettes, I’d have supported it.
If cigs hadn’t been invented yet and someone suggested introducing them for the first time in history tomorrow, they’re that bad for us they’d never be allowed to introduce them.

Cigs are worse for us than many banned drugs are. Cannabis, mushrooms, lsd and many other drugs are actually beneficial to us in many ways. There is nothing at all beneficial to us in a cigarette.

As for the ban in the open air - smokers are burdening the NHS. Dealing with ailments from smoking costs the NHS £2.6bn a year, and there are around 80,000 smoking related deaths (Manchester being the highest in the country) a year. Imagine how much better than NHS would be if cigs didn’t exist.
And alcohol.It's ironic that the establishments at the centre of the debate,i.e. pubs,sell a substance which also results in a huge drain on the NHS due to the ailments it can result in. Additionally,as I have heard from a couple of friends in the police sevice,their week-ends are increasingly spent attending to pissed-up gobshites barreling round town causing trouble.If someone invented cigs and booze today,they would both probably be declared illegal.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.