Banning smoking in beer gardens

I cannot believe that you aquaint wearing a seat belt with smoking in a beer garden. Wearing a seat belt has no other impact other than better safety for the wearer. Banning smoking outside a pub has. No one is going to smoke less, they will just smoke somewhere else. Resulting in even fewer drinking in pubs and more pub being closed..

Smokers may or may not smoke less if the ban comes in. That isn't really the point though.

More than likely, they will, because that is what the indoor ban did. People that would previously light up one after the other, smoke far fewer because it involves stopping a conversation or drinking, and going outside to do it. The same will apply to beer gardens, if you have to leave the premises mid pint or mid sentence, you will delay the smoke, and over the length of your time in the beer garden that will add up to less smoking.

The more important thing though is the impact on everyone else there, and that in itself is worth it. Once people try it, it will be great for most, fine for some, and a bit irritating for a very few, but they'll end up learning to live with it.

I'm not acting like a child but I am fuckin' sick of people telling me what to do and what not to do. I used to take drugs, mainly weed and LSD(sometimes mushrooms) but i haven't taken LSD for 40 years because I took too many drugs and drink that it fucked me up to becoming sectioned, I learnt my lesson. Last time I had a joint was almost 3 years ago athough I still have a small amount in an air tight container just incase I need a smoke to help me sleep because I suffer incessant acute tinnitus, and weed helps. I don't condone illegal drugs but I don't preach to people(especially friends) not to take drugs because they make a conscious decision to and it's their freedom of choice to.

If it made no difference to you then you wouldn't need to be a busy **** telling me to stop smoking because I am intelligent enough to know that smoking is detrimental to my health. But smoking is a far harder addiction to quit than quitting drink and drugs IMO.

So why not take up the offer for help from your local stop smoking service?

Or swap to vaping and mitigate the harm?

It honestly makes no difference me. I'm used to smokers in poorer health than you reject the offer of help and I don't always bother to try to persuade them differently.

They'll be even more people telling you what to do if you develop a smoking related disability.

haha I'd do the same! back outside with the smokers and footy on big screen

I think a pub needs to find its clientele and retain them. I only go to one when the DJ is on or another as they have all the sports channels.

I’d never go out to watch the match and be the only one in there for it.

So why not take up the offer for help from your local stop smoking service?

Or swap to vaping and mitigate the harm?

It honestly makes no difference me. I'm used to smokers in poorer health than you reject the offer of help and I don't always bother to try to persuade them differently.

They'll be even more people telling you what to do if you develop a smoking related disability.
Because I've already told you that I enjoy smoking and I'm not ready to stop, even if I wanted to. When I next get the feeling I have the willpower to stop I'll go for it.

I've tried vaping but I couldn't stop coughing and I hardly ever cough when smoking. As for mitigating the harm I'm not sure vaping does that, I've heard the vape coughs are called popcorn lung so what harm vaping is doing nobody knows but we'll see in several years what the longterm affects are.

As for poor health I'm 60 years old and I don't need any daily medication. I'm not as fit as I used to be but when I was 50 I had to partake in a strict yearly 'Chester step' medical due to my former job of working at height in mobile telecoms. I was wired up to a monitor that assessed me before during and after exercise and it was quite a vigorous medical but I was fit because of me climbing telecoms structures most work days. The best pass was(is) an A through to F, which is a fail. I got an A 3 years on the trot and the nurse couldn't believe I smoked an average 15 cigarettes a day. She said my lung capacity was that of a non smoker. She also said that my health could soon change and I should consider stopping smoking.

Since then I've stopped twice, first time I did about 10 weeks totally fag free, second time 3 months. I must admit that after about 6 weeks I felt fitter with more energy and was tasting food better and I felt liberated from the shackles of nicotine addiction but I felt I was missing the enjoyment of smoking, especially the first of the day or the one after a meal, or with a pint. And only an ex smoker will understand that.

Have you ever smoked?

Because I've already told you that I enjoy smoking and I'm not ready to stop, even if I wanted to. When I next get the feeling I have the willpower to stop I'll go for it.
Why kick the can down the road?

I've tried vaping but I couldn't stop coughing and I hardly ever cough when smoking. As for mitigating the harm I'm not sure vaping does that, I've heard the vape coughs are called popcorn lung so what harm vaping is doing nobody knows but we'll see in several years what the longterm affects are.

Sorry but Vaping (legal stuff) isn't more harmful than cigarettes.

The substance that causes popcorn lung, diacetyl is banned as an ingredient from e-cigarettes and e-liquids in the UK.

It's just not true that vaping is anywhere near as dangerous. It's not something people who aren't smokers should adopt though.

As for poor health I'm 60 years old and I don't need any daily medication. I'm not as fit as I used to be but when I was 50 I had to partake in a strict yearly 'Chester step' medical due to my former job of working at height in mobile telecoms. I was wired up to a monitor that assessed me before during and after exercise and it was quite a vigorous medical but I was fit because of me climbing telecoms structures most work days. The best pass was(is) an A through to F, which is a fail. I got an A 3 years on the trot and the nurse couldn't believe I smoked an average 15 cigarettes a day. She said my lung capacity was that of a non smoker. She also said that my health could soon change and I should consider stopping smoking.

Precisely. I've had someone with COPD say to me they wondered if quitting might do more harm than good.

Why waste your good health on a habit that only does you harm?

Since then I've stopped twice, first time I did about 10 weeks totally fag free, second time 3 months. I must admit that after about 6 weeks I felt fitter with more energy and was tasting food better and I felt liberated from the shackles of nicotine addiction but I felt I was missing the enjoyment of smoking, especially the first of the day or the one after a meal, or with a pint. And only an ex smoker will understand that.

That's the combination if nicotine addiction and old habits. develop new habits, try enjoying your pint without a cigarette.

You'll likely always have that craving because you've smoked so long. It's not any different than me craving a coca cola when I'm thirsty.

I don't need to be an ex smoker. I've heard all the excuses from smokers and will hear them all again soon.

Have you ever smoked?

Not habitually no. I have smoked a cigarette before does that count?

If you were to end up on a hospital ward and got a visit from a tobacco reduction worker, would you take them more seriously if you'd seen them sneaking a smoke in the hospital grounds?

I cannot believe that you aquaint wearing a seat belt with smoking in a beer garden. Wearing a seat belt has no other impact other than better safety for the wearer. Banning smoking outside a pub has. No one is going to smoke less, they will just smoke somewhere else. Resulting in even fewer drinking in pubs and more pub being closed..

Not true.

Why kick the can down the road?

Sorry but Vaping (legal stuff) isn't more harmful than cigarettes.

The substance that causes popcorn lung, diacetyl is banned as an ingredient from e-cigarettes and e-liquids in the UK.

It's just not true that vaping is anywhere near as dangerous. It's not something people who aren't smokers should adopt though.

Precisely. I've had someone with COPD say to me they wondered if quitting might do more harm than good.

Why waste your good health on a habit that only does you harm?

That's the combination if nicotine addiction and old habits. develop new habits, try enjoying your pint without a cigarette.

You'll likely always have that craving because you've smoked so long. It's not any different than me craving a coca cola when I'm thirsty.

I don't need to be an ex smoker. I've heard all the excuses from smokers and will hear them all again soon.

Not habitually no. I have smoked a cigarette before does that count?

If you were to end up on a hospital ward and got a visit from a tobacco reduction worker, would you take them more seriously if you'd seen them sneaking a smoke in the hospital grounds?
You sound like a text book doctor with fuck all experience of nicotine addiction because you can only have that experience if you'd been a regular smoker. But you've tried one cigarette and are a self appointed expert in smoking, it's addiction and risks to health, and a vaping expert.

I know smoking is harmful, I know I could get lung cancer. But smoking is highly addictive and your Coca cola analogy is way off the mark in comparison.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.