Banning smoking in beer gardens

Lets put aside your claim that they thrived, just show me the data that indicates the smoking ban didnt increase pub closures?

The same data that attributes pub closures to a whole range of other factors. You are being obtuse.

There is also data that shows pubs (those that didn't close) increasing profits, year on year (until covid at least) after the smoking ban. That's thriving. That's not to say the ban itself caused it, any more than the introduction of craft beer and vegan saussage to their menus.

But your overall arguement is it will kill pubs, and mine is it won't, and those that embrace it will be successful.

The same data that attributes pub closures to a whole range of other factors. You are being obtuse.

There is also data that shows pubs (those that didn't close) increasing profits, year on year (until covid at least) after the smoking ban. That's thriving. That's not to say the ban itself caused it, any more than the introduction of craft beer and vegan saussage to their menus.

But your overall arguement is it will kill pubs, and mine is it won't, and those that embrace it will be successful.
So the pubs that managed to stay open made more money than they did than when there were more pubs open around them?

No im not, you appear happy to reference data when you can find it ? I guess that data just isn't there.

The truth is you dont like smoking, fair enough, but you have made up stuff all through this thread and now you have simply been asked to justify a claim, you can't.

Last edited:

It was the vegan sausage as everybody knows.

So the pubs that managed to stay open made more money than they did than when there were more pubs open around them?

Yea. All 98.2% of them! That didn't shut following the smoking ban.

1.8% of additional uk pubs closed following the smoking ban. That's what those thousands of pubs equates to. 1.8%.

And there is no evidence at all, that says that is specifically down to the smoking ban. There is evidence that pubs closed, sure, but none that says it is exclusively down to that, that is pure conjecture. Along with tax increases, price of beer rising, landlords increasing rent, they all contributed and you have to be pretty dishonest, to attribute that percentage increase purely down to the smoking ban.

Yea. All 98.2% of them! That didn't shut following the smoking ban.

1.8% of additional uk pubs closed following the smoking ban. That's what those thousands of pubs equates to. 1.8%.

And there is no evidence at all, that says that is specifically down to the smoking ban. There is evidence that pubs closed, sure, but none that says it is exclusively down to that, that is pure conjecture. Along with tax increases, price of beer rising, landlords increasing rent, they all contributed and you have to be pretty dishonest, to attribute that percentage increase purely down to the smoking ban.
Ah right. So the smoking ban was definitely the reason some pubs thrived, but definitely not why some closed.

Is your copper mate high up or a constable?
Because if he isn't high up how is it relevant?

Under 13% of people smoke. It's a declining market. Pubs getting rid of people smoking will be good for businesses in the long run.

If you genuinely think the police will enforce so be it, regards your second paragraph everyone is entitled to opinion but the 2 landlords I know don't agree with you

No im not, you appear happy to reference data when you can find it ? I guess that data just isn't there.

The truth is you dont like smoking, fair enough, but you have made up stuff all through this thread and now you have simply been have been asked to justify a claim, you can't.

I am referencing the data you yourself and stonerblue posted ffs. You have tried to use percentage of closures as 'proof' that it is the smoking ban, when both those articles list other factors contributing to pub closures.

Tell you what, you show me the evidence that pub closures are down to the smoking ban. Excluding everything else. Not just that pubs closed, not that the made losses (because they had to pay more taxes, rent and spend more on goods), but that puple having to step outside to smoke caused them to close. And I will happily concede.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.