Basic People Management Skills

BillyShears said:
Gelsons Dad said:
That's how you manage S1 and S2 types initially until they develope some ability and awareness.

Hersey-Blanchard Situational Leadership Theory, it's been around since the 70s and almost all large corporations swear by it.

You can't begin draw analogies between normal corporate managerial situations, and the managerial situations faced by managers at premiership clubs. It's, well, it just won't work. It may work for Garry Cook when he's dealing with the IT department at City, but it isn't going to work for Roberto when dealing with Tevez or Silva, or any other player.

I disagree. We started to implement it in the RAF back in the 90s If it has value in the military it has value everywhere. It's spesifically designed to apply to team management situations whith divers personality types. Describes a football squad rather well if you ask me!

Okay, so why do we seemingly have a culture at City where not one, not two, not three, but every single disgruntled player talks first and foremost about a lack of communication...? Do people really believe that it's just sour grapes, and there's no truth to the matter? If there is truth to the matter, why can't it be addressed behind the scenes?

I can't think of the last time so many negative stories came out of a single club over a single period of time. Of course it can all be put down to the bitterness of spurned footballers and the agendas of tabloid journalists...

...but surely even if that IS 100% true, which I don't believe it is, then we should be finding better ways of dealing with these things and limiting our negative exposure in the press...

The most successful manager ever in English football is Surly Alex.

Do we not think he's had fucking hundreds of "bust ups" with his players? That his man-management skills are seriously lacking on occasions?

Anyone he doesn't like is out on their arses quick style.

Is it right and fair? Maybe not. But is it successful? And that's the ONLY criteria a manager is ever really judged on.

Let's see how Mancini's approach pans out before we question his methods too closely.

Didsbury Dave said:
Just when I was getting all warm and fluffy about how the team is coming together, I read this:

On Thursday Given was left out of a match in the Europa League although he had thought he would start: “I thought I’d have played but I don’t know what the manager’s thinking because he hasn’t told me,” he said.

I despair, I really do. That is basic and simple people management.

Talk to the fucking players, let them know where they fit in and keep them motivated. If they're not first choice, let them know that if they work they will get a chance.

It's not difficult. If you're too aloof to do it, get one of your staff to do it. There must be someone on our staff who's job it is to liase with the players.

I worry deeply about this message which we've heard time after time now.

I'm with you on that not Dave, I argued the same point when Wayne Bridge was subbed against Salzburg...not a handshake, kiss my arse or anything. Just completely ignored him on his 1st game back from injury. Very poor behaviour from Bobby

Agree Dave... i think the best football managers, althoguh varying in style, made comunication with the team key.

For me its one of the the most important and fundemental aspects of managing a successful football team.

But then again, i know nothing about running a football team.

Although at Wigan yesterday, Hart booted the ball out looking for Tevez, he apologised to Mancini and they had a quick interchange around Mancini telling him he doesn't need to rush and Hart explaining it was a 1 on 1 situation had he picked Tevez out.

So there is some room there for players to have a (somewhat brief and mainly hand gestured) dialogue.

Perhaps a big middle finger from Given might open up a new channel between the two!?

Gelsons Dad said:
BillyShears said:
You can't begin draw analogies between normal corporate managerial situations, and the managerial situations faced by managers at premiership clubs. It's, well, it just won't work. It may work for Garry Cook when he's dealing with the IT department at City, but it isn't going to work for Roberto when dealing with Tevez or Silva, or any other player.

I disagree. We started to implement it in the RAF back in the 90s If it has value in the military it has value everywhere. It's spesifically designed to apply to team management situations whith divers personality types. Describes a football squad rather well if you ask me!

Well for me I don't think it would be very effective in football management, or in the type of management role which I'm in. Dealing with young people who have large egos, larger pay packets, and an unending amount of sycophants around them telling them their shit doesn't stink, is very different from dealing with people who are trained to respect the hierarchy within which they work...

Didsbury Dave said:
You can't slag Given off for this. He's simply answered a question.

-- Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:37 am --

bluemoonmatt said:
Dave, I get the feeling you don't like our Roberto.

One thing got me in the quote though is that if Mancini doesn't communicate with his players, how come Shay got the impression he would be starting on Thursday?

I'm desperate for the manager to NOT succeed.

But I worry like mad about his people management skills.

edited for accuracy

:o)

Soulboy said:
The most successful manager ever in English football is Surly Alex.

Do we not think he's had fucking hundreds of "bust ups" with his players? That his man-management skills are seriously lacking on occasions?

Anyone he doesn't like is out on their arses quick style.

Is it right and fair? Maybe not. But is it successful? And that's the ONLY criteria a manager is ever really judged on.

Let's see how Mancini's approach pans out before we question his methods too closely.

That's a poor effort by your normally high standards Soulboy. I'd expect those kinds of cliches to be trotted out by the likes of Rob'eh and his pals...;- )

Slur Alex has over the years been smart enough to adapt his style to the changing times. His knack of getting problem players to fight for his cause rather than against it is testament to his man management skills. He rarely if EVER criticizes his players publicly. He has earned the respect he has from his playing staff, and most importantly, he's a one off. Using him as an example is a bad example...

This is madness. The only way any business judges its managers is by performance, not the tools they use to get the performance.

We're sat 4th, with a host of players injured, can't remember the last time we conceded from a set piece, haven't let in more than 1 goal in about 13 league games.

Whatever 'tools' are being used, the players are obviously getting the message. This is a different City to the team I grew up watching.

I couldn't give 2 f**ks whether he comes in every morning and tells them all they're a bunch of twats. Whatever he's doing is working.

Noone is bigger than the club and that includes the manager

Thre have been too many reports of this lack of communication for it not to be true .....It may be RM's style but he therefore needs to change it as to some players it is almost offensive (if i was them i can accept being left out if Im told why....but not to be told is wrong)......

The thing with Ade is more worrying. Rm has previous for this sort of behaviour (the Ireland incident about his head not being right).....If you accuse someone of feigning and injury and are proved wrong he owes Ade a huge apoplogy.

RM clearly has a lot to learn about man management

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.