Basic People Management Skills

Maybe you should send Football Management 101 for Dummies to a guy who has been in the professional game since he was a young teen and is now earning millions of pounds a year as a manager.

Correct me if I'm wrong, and nothing against the OP, but the opinion has the air of one based on a personal intuition rather than authoritative experience. Just another knee-jerk reaction to musings in a crappy newspaper based on the musings of a member of playing staff with an agenda.

Didsbury Dave said:
Blue Hefner said:
2nd choice 'keeper wants to play, well tuff and so what if your BOSS doesn't explain every reason behind every decision to he make sto the squad?

Given has gone down in my estimations in the last few months, this must be the 2/3 'interview' he has done regarding not playing/lack of communication

If he wants to play that much why didn't he take a pay-cut and go to Celtic or Fulham? And another thing has he gave a 2nd thought to how Joe Hart felt when Given took his place 18months ago?

He should either keep his mouth shut and fight for his place or piss off

I knew that one or two would blame the player for this.

Shay Given is a top pro.

He has never let City, or any of his clubs down.

He has no history of troublemaking in a 20 year career and has kept his dignity whilst losing his place to Hart.

He's not made an issue here, he's simply answered a question.

I think a 36 year old international who was a first team regular deserves at least an explaination of what the manager's plan for him are. Not total silence.

Whilst he was playing and everything was going his own way

I'm 100% sure he got is explination on the opening weekend of the season.

Mancini 'Shay you are on the bench because i think Joe Hart is a better goal goalkeeper, people thought i was wrong when i dropped Toldo and played that Julio Cesar bloke, you've seen him shay he just won the Champions league and is about to win World goal keeper of the year so i know what i'm talking about'

Shay 'ok boss'

pierod said:
Maybe you should send Football Management 101 for Dummies to a guy who has been in the professional game since he was a young teen and is now earning millions of pounds a year as a manager.

Correct me if I'm wrong, and nothing against the OP, but the opinion has the air of one based on a personal intuition rather than authoritative experience. Just another knee-jerk reaction to musings in a crappy newspaper based on the musings of a member of playing staff with an agenda.

It is an opinion based on a significant amount of evidence.

So I have corrected you as you requested.

Blue Hefner said:
Didsbury Dave said:
I knew that one or two would blame the player for this.

Shay Given is a top pro.

He has never let City, or any of his clubs down.

He has no history of troublemaking in a 20 year career and has kept his dignity whilst losing his place to Hart.

He's not made an issue here, he's simply answered a question.

I think a 36 year old international who was a first team regular deserves at least an explaination of what the manager's plan for him are. Not total silence.

Mancini 'Shay you are on the bench because i think Joe Hart is a better goal goalkeeper, people thought i was wrong when i dropped Toldo and played that Julio Cesar bloke, you've seen him shay he just won the Champions league and is about to win World goal keeper of the year so i know what i'm talking about'

Shay 'ok boss'

If I can be blunt you don't seem that bright, so I'll try to simplify things.

This is not about the player being dropped. It is about the fact that he should know where he is in the manager's thinking. Is he going to fight with HArt for the Number One jersey? Will he play the cup games? Wil he only play if Hart is injured? Has he a future at the club?

The management structure should be communicating with all the players on that basis.

Didsbury Dave said:
pierod said:

It is an opinion based on a significant amount of evidence.

So I have corrected you as you requested.

It's your perspective of the evidence and the evidence itself that I'm questioning. Everyone has bias based on their own experience, but your experience in this area is possibly not quite as authoritative as you'd like. Nothing wrong with that, but I still think you're reading a lot (of negativity) into a bunch of cited quotes from journalists and footballers of questionable reliability.

Didsbury Dave said:
Nonsense, Gelson.
All successful businesses realise that their staff are their biggest asset.
If you look after them and motivate them they deliver for you.
There's not a single business leader in the world would argue that point.
BUT.........
you don't molly coddle them. Given = senior player with massive experience. He should be proactive in finding out anything he is not sure of. This is what you expect of your 'senior' staff who you also expect to be emotionally competent.

This is an interesting debate about "valuing staff" but we need to remember it was the Fairy Stories of the World what started it!!!!

Didsbury Dave said:

Oh I think Shay knows. The plan is for him to be No.2, sit on the bench and play if something happens to Hart. My dog could work that one out.

If Shay is expecting Mancini to explain this to him every other day along with a quick cuddle then a) he doesn't know Mancini and b) he's an idiot.

The Sunday Times article is simply paving the way for Shay to go out on loan in January which Mancini is willing to let him do whilst obviously hoping he stays. For what it is worth I do think Mancini has Shay pegged as a good GK but never going to be world class whereas with Hart he thinks he can be.

The reports of Mancini being somewhat aloof/uncommunicative/whatever are spot on and if you are expecting/hoping for change then you'll have a long wait. Mancini is what he is and didn't get where he is by being concerned at what others think or worrying if he should be more cuddly. You need to start dealing with what Mancini is and stop fretting about management skills or communication etc. If it works no one will care and if it don't he will be replaced.

For the record I think it will work.

Didsbury Dave said:
Blue Hefner said:

Shay 'ok boss'

This is not about the player being dropped. It is about the fact that he should know where he is in the manager's thinking. Is he going to fight with HArt for the Number One jersey? Will he play the cup games? Wil he only play if Hart is injured? Has he a future at the club?

The management structure should be communicating with all the players on that basis.

Let me simplify things

Given is number 2 and that is all he needs to know. He should train and prepare for games as if he was 1st choice and be ready whenever the BOSS sees fit to play him. End of story
If he doesn't like it, he knows where the door is

Blue Hefner said:
Didsbury Dave said:

Let me simplify things

Given is number 2 and that is all he needs to know. He should train and prepare for games as if he was 1st choice and be ready whenever the BOSS sees fit to play him. End of story
If he doesn't like it, he knows where the door is

Which seems to be 2 sentances more than our current management team have given him.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.