Basic People Management Skills

simon23 said:
Mancini: "It's false, there was no fight in the dressing room or on the pitch. We discussed the situation of his injury.

"Yesterday, he worked with the team, but if Manu is available for West Bromwich you will see tomorrow morning, but if he's available for Chelsea he could be on the bench."

This is a qoute at the end of an article presently on the SSN website

This again is bad management....he is basically saying that if Ade is fit it doesnt really matter wyhat he does in training he will be on the bench anyway for the chelsea match....

This causes two problems/issues:

1. This completely demotivates the player
2. Again it is showing that whether he has people fit or not he still will refuse to change the one up top system....he is far too rigid (unless he is going to pick Jo or Rsc to play alongisde Tevez...which is highly doubtful)
TBH he does himself no favours,he's shocking at giving interviews, he was calling the top of the league the "top of the squad"he seems to have gone backwards or he feels under more pressure.

leighton said:
If Mancini had the people skills of Hughes he would be the total package as a manager of a club with big players on big wages with big egos. You notice with Hughes he dealt well with Robhino and Bellers and to a extent Ireland. Mancinis first thing was to get rid of all 3 when a word in the ear could of been a simple way out for him.
I think it is this management flaw that will hurt the team in the long term. How is he going to react if Yaya , Silva or Tevez spits the dummy out is my main concern. We done well to get these players but I would rather we keep hold of these players long term and IF Mancini cant change his people skills it will get even more tricky for him. When a model pro like Shay says that you do get worried. I was worried at the end of last season when first Ned and then Bellers and Ireland all came out with negative things about the club. The 3 players who during there time here have been pro the club but the fans here said it was sour grapes by the players. Maybe it was or maybe deep down it could be Mancini only time will tell.

Common denominator with Ned, Bellers and Ireland; they are no longer good enough for where we are going and they knew it. The situation is exacerbated with the 25 man squad rule. In response to the numerous comments about Tevez being unhappy, since Mancini told him he could leave if he wanted to we have not heard a peep from him. He was correct to publicly state the same about Given as it was Given who decided to air some grievances in public. This is the only way to respond in these situations as we cannot have players dictating to management and club who plays, or coaching methods etc.
This way Mancini will find soon enough who is for him (and more importantly the club) and who is agin him. He is well on the way to developing a squad that is moving forward together. One or two more "tweaks" in the January window and I believe we will be very nearly there.

Well done Mancini.

As far as I can see things are going well on the pitch and that's before Mancini can choose from his full strenth squad. 1 goal conceded in open play in eight games and even that from our own undoing shows that we are going in the right direction.

Anyone who has ever noticed any of my posts will know I was a strong advocate of keeping Hughes and I am now equally strong in my defence of Mancini.

Its sad that some of the players are incapable of getting their head down and keeping their mouth shut for the benefit of the club and the team. This additional pressure from fans who seem keen to believe disaffected players doesn't help our goals. Those players are self centred and only interested in their own selfish needs and we don't need them. I was disappointed in Given. If you want to look at how a player should behave then look no further than Javier Garrido.

Mancini shouldn't have to explain every decision to the players its his decision who he picks. If they have a problem then there is nothing stopping them knocking on his door - he can't 'supposedly' not speak to them then !

Forza Mancini !

simon23 said:
Mancini: "It's false, there was no fight in the dressing room or on the pitch. We discussed the situation of his injury.

"Yesterday, he worked with the team, but if Manu is available for West Bromwich you will see tomorrow morning, but if he's available for Chelsea he could be on the bench."

This again is bad management....he is basically saying that if Ade is fit it doesnt really matter wyhat he does in training he will be on the bench anyway for the chelsea match....

2. Again it is showing that whether he has people fit or not he still will refuse to change the one up top system....he is far too rigid (unless he is going to pick Jo or Rsc to play alongisde Tevez...which is highly doubtful)

Totally dissagree. He is quoted as saying that he "could" be on the bench. This obviously means he also "could" not be on the bench but on the pitch. This is good man management and should motivate the player to strive to play.
If this approach fails with Ade then it demonstrates that the problem is clearly with the player and exposes him as a prima donna whos ego he places before the good of the team and club.

simon23 said:

if you and the Bronco boys have got MBAs it would explain a lot

simon23 said:

That clearly works both ways though. I'd hardly call it good management to come out and say "If he's fit, he will definitely play against Chelsea".

macmanson said:
peacefrog said:
But you're basing this on only hearing one side of the story. Because the club have never responded to that. And nor should they.

Anyway. I think this thread's been done to death now so, I'm not going to bother adding my two penneth. I enjoyed reading the thread though. Very entertaining. The pro Mancini side won the debate, imho. Which, as it happens, is the side I come down on, surprisingly. And JoeMercer'sWay's rant on page 28 was the post of the thread. I thought that was worth a mention, as nobody else did.

Lol...your declaration that the "other" side won is hardly scientific proof. :) And besides, I don't think there are any pro Mancini/anti Mancini camps as there was with Hughes. The so called Anti-Mancini's have simply expressed concerns with some of his management skills but not demanded he be removed from the club like the anti-hughes brigade did.

With regards to the Petrov quote, that is the whole problem in that we only hear one side of the story. Had the club come out when the players were let go and released a personalized statement thanking the players for their contribution in a small blurb, then the rest of this goes away. Petrov's comment would look childish after that.

Instead they are dumped out of the club with a statement from the "club" on the website wishing them well without quotes. I mean give me a break. It's not like they are running a club with thousands upon thousands of employees to worry about. There should be no reason why the club can't take the time to personally thank players who are leaving the club under good circumstances. I worked for Adobe for 5 years in a senior but not managerial role but still had the VP of my group come to say some words to us when my group had been let go. That's just showing class.

This shit about sour grapes is simply excuse making as well. 1 or 2 players is sour grapes, 5 or 6 hints at a greater problem that you can't excuse away. These complaints about man management were one of the biggest knocks on Mancini when he was at Inter and ultimately the reason he was moved on from the club.

An Inter fan writing a blog at:

http://myargentinianfootball.blogspot.com/2008/05/future-of-inter-milan-mancini-to.html

had to this to say about why he was happy Mancini was leaving Inter:

1) He does not have the respect of the majority in the dressing room anymore. The majority of the the players have voted for him to leave. He has had spats with Figo, Crespo, Vieira, Ibrahimovic, and even the team doctors!

2) He quit abruptly after their loss to Liverpool. Then abruptly returned the next day.

3) Inter Milan's form has been gradually slipping since January. To the point where they almost lost their scudetto. Something that was inconceivable in January.

4) Which leads me to my next point. Inter Milan's cycle of success is done. As Cruyff says, teams have cycles. Many of Mancini's players are growing tired and restless under him.

5) Inter Milan did not have a winning record against any of the top teams in Serie A this season. (Not Roma, AC Milan, or Juventus).

6) Mancini isn't the guy to take them to Champions League glory. Their performance against Liverpool left much to be desired. He was sufficiently beat by a more tactically astute manager (Rafa Benitez). They have failed to make even the final four in the Champions League since Mancini has been in charge. While I think injuries have been a big issue in their European campaigns, the elite managers find a way to win. (see Liverpool's last CL title).

7) Also, in the biggest game of their CL campaign this year (the second leg against Liverpool), Mancini played a 4-1-2-1-2 formation, with Stankovic as his CAM. Since when was Stankovic their offensive "go-to" guy? Personally, I believe Mancini, Mihajlovic, and Stankovic are a close-knit bunch, and Mancini ultimately rewarded a player for his loyalty to him, rather than to play the more offensively talented midfielders like Figo and Solari.

This is not an attack on Mancini. I think he is an excellent manager. However, if he is to become an elite manager, he needs to improve on his European performances and his player management skills. Managers like Prandelli, Ancelotti and Mourinho, have the kind of respect where players are willing to follow them.

The notion of him as someone who struggles in European competition and with man management skills is supported by these additional articles from some highly respected news organizations:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_city/8423666.stm

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/web/COM1117368/index.htm

We started to see signs of this towards the end of last season where rumors of bust-ups with the manager became quite frequent (Ireland, Tevez, Bellamy spring to mind right away) and this season they have continued with the same players plus now Shay and Adebayor.

As the blogger above stated, these aren't meant to be an attack on Mancini as he is a great manager. Us so called anti Mancinis simply want to see him improve an area that could turn him into an elite manager like Mourinho. The complaints aren't something new invented by City fans and some mad arse players as the pro Mancini camp paints it.

Even if Mancini isn't an "arm over the shoulder" type of guy, surely the club can afford to hire an individual whose job it is to liase with players and the manager to let them know exactly where they fit in a club, no? The most successful organizations in the world all implement some sort of employee management system that includes setting goals and providing feedback so that everyone is on the same page.

I for one would like to see a good quality manager given a long run like Ferguson with our team and the resources available but fear that this constant in-fighting with players is going to have a detrimental effect on the field at some point and we'll be going through another chop and change cycle which isn't in the club's best interest.

I find your notion that Mancini has to improve

a) on his European performances and b) on his man-management skills

a rather bizarre conflation.

It prompts me to ask, other than quoting his bad press and ignoring his good press, how you know so much about Mancini's management style.

leighton said:
If Mancini had the people skills of Hughes he would be the total package as a manager of a club with big players on big wages with big egos. You notice with Hughes he dealt well with Robhino and Bellers and to a extent Ireland. Mancinis first thing was to get rid of all 3 when a word in the ear could of been a simple way out for him.
I think it is this management flaw that will hurt the team in the long term. How is he going to react if Yaya , Silva or Tevez spits the dummy out is my main concern. We done well to get these players but I would rather we keep hold of these players long term and IF Mancini cant change his people skills it will get even more tricky for him. When a model pro like Shay says that you do get worried. I was worried at the end of last season when first Ned and then Bellers and Ireland all came out with negative things about the club. The 3 players who during there time here have been pro the club but the fans here said it was sour grapes by the players. Maybe it was or maybe deep down it could be Mancini only time will tell.

Hughes is devoid of man management of any player that he doesn't understand. Bellamy idolises him and would run through brick walls for him.
That post is a long way from reality.

simon23 said:

The only thing this clearly shows to me is that Mancini won't be played for a fool. And the sooner Ade realises that the better off we'll all be.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.