Basic People Management Skills

de niro said:
bluemoonmatt said:
Has it occurred to you that he may have signed Balo to help releave Tev and offer a change to the system.

And Bill... to be fair you did'nt half have a go and indeed continue to do so at people who wanted Hughsie out (I wasn't one of those people by the way) but you seem to have an opinion of Roberto Mancini that is somewhere between Nicolae Ceauşescu and Pol Pot. Are we to needlessly bin another manager before he's had a fair crack of the whip?

mancini is ten times the manager hughes was, everything in his locker points that way, his pure standing in the game will attract players hughes could only dream of. he is though open to errors, he does not yet know how the prem works, he certainly has his favourites in the dressing room and maybe needs to treat all players a little fairer.he's getting better and better with every game.
talk of changing the manager is absolutly stupid, we need to see this plan though and i think bob with achieve it.

he is not above a question or two though like some people seem to think.

-- Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:59 pm --

Mancio said:
in fact i cant agree becouse i fully disagree.

as user you have every righr to say what you like but as a mod you have to be objective , at least about things you perfectly know.

define objective? call me thick but is that a yes man?

apologizing for my above posts i'm glad to quote what you wrote here and answer to last question :)

"objective" is how google translator translate the italian "oggettivo" , hoping you can find a better translator and understand what i was meaning ;)

macmanson said:
johnny crossan said:
I find your notion that Mancini has to improve

a) on his European performances and b) on his man-management skills

a rather bizarre conflation.

It prompts me to ask, other than quoting his bad press and ignoring his good press, how you know so much about Mancini's management style.

Again, that point of the post is not to bash Mancini but to highlight that man management criticisms are not exactly something new for Mancini. It isn't something made up by City fans and some mard arse players as the pro Mancini camp likes to have it painted as. As I mentioned previously, it is a management style and does have it's merits as well as it's drawbacks like anything in life.

While is creates competition for spots in the team, it also upsets players and as a manager it becomes your job to manage those players and their expectations. Mancini has an assistant manager, first team coaches and trainers out the wazoo, so to me his primary responsibility is ensuring that he has a healthy competitive squad with all players pulling in the same direction. If all these players appear to have different expecations than the manager, then there is an obvious communication problem there.

These man management issues are what many believe to be the reason he struggled in European competitions as he played his favorites over players who were more accomplished. That's bad man management in my opinion. You field your best team always, regardless of how you feel about individual players or whether they support you or not. That's how the 2 ideas become related.

What are these player expectations you keep banging on about. They are highly paid professionals who should be puting the team and the club at the forefront of their thoughts. The commom denominator in the players that have beef with Mancini is they are so far up their own arses they fail to see the wood for the trees. Yours Neds, Bellamys and Irelands, for example are not good enough for where we are going. If you dislike this observation because it is "rag like" then I suggest you have a small time mentality. If any one of them had decided to buckle down and fight for a place instead of airing their anti Mancini (and in effect anti club) comments in public then maybe they would have had a chance for the 25. Ade is not happy bacause he is not playing, also Given. What to do? Guarantee them first team spots as when they want them; ludicrous. A player cannot have this expectation and if he does they he needs to be shipped out pronto.

When Tevez had a word or two to say to the press Mancini said he could leave if he wanted. We have heard little other than how pleased he is at City since.

The same approach has been taken with Given. Given makes 1 or 2 public comments Mancini says he can leave if he wants. This is the only way to play this situation. You cannot just let him have his way.

Well done Mancini I think you have it spot on. Fourth spot, 2 goals conceded with only one from open play. A host of quality to return from injury, futures looking good. One or two "tweaks" in January and we will be there or thereabouts.

de niro said:
bluemoonmatt said:
Has it occurred to you that he may have signed Balo to help releave Tev and offer a change to the system.

And Bill... to be fair you did'nt half have a go and indeed continue to do so at people who wanted Hughsie out (I wasn't one of those people by the way) but you seem to have an opinion of Roberto Mancini that is somewhere between Nicolae Ceauşescu and Pol Pot. Are we to needlessly bin another manager before he's had a fair crack of the whip?

mancini is ten times the manager hughes was, everything in his locker points that way, his pure standing in the game will attract players hughes could only dream of. he is though open to errors, he does not yet know how the prem works, he certainly has his favourites in the dressing room and maybe needs to treat all players a little fairer.he's getting better and better with every game.
talk of changing the manager is absolutly stupid, we need to see this plan though and i think bob with achieve it.

Mancio said:
in fact i cant agree becouse i fully disagree.

as user you have every righr to say what you like but as a mod you have to be objective , at least about things you perfectly know.

I'm not one who think he's above question. I do think what's being levelled at him in this thread though are more than just questions, they're accusations, based on suppositions.

Also I'm confused by this statement, "he does not yet know how the prem works". 1 I'm not sure what it really means. And 2 How anyone not in his confidence would know that I don't know.

peacefrog said:
de niro said:

I'm not one who think he's above question. I do think what's being levelled at him in this thread though are more than just questions, they're accusations, based on suppositions.

Also I'm confused by this statement, "he does not yet know how the prem works". 1 I'm not sure what it really means. And 2 How anyone not in his confidence would know that I don't know.

i think he means tactically doesnt know how it works and im inclined to agree in part

Braggster said:
I've followed Inter for years and cannot recall his European exits being put down to bad man management, so you're either mistaken or disingenuous on that point, macmanson. The criticisms usually tended to be tactical or personnel based, actually.

I also strongly disagree with the idea that playing Stankovic over an ancient Figo or Solari was favoritism. It was a decision based simply on the fact that Stankovic was the better player.

This whole man management thing is blown way, way out of proportion. I find it astonishing that his comments about Adebayor have been criticised. I read them as simply saying that, given he's been injured, he won't be ready to start against Chelsea. It would never have occurred to me that they could be interpreted in any other way.

Braggster, I completely agree with the Adebayor comments. I don't see what he said that is wrong either. However, whether you or I think he has man management issues is irrelevant. The fact is that is has been raised as an issue by Inter and City fans, as well as the media multiple times previously, so to me there can't be smoke without fire. To what degree things actually happened, nobody will know but the individuals involved but I don't think it's a stretch to say that man management is not one of Mancini's strengths. It doesn't make him a bad manager but it does leave room for improvement, something which both players and managers alike should embrace. Put another way, if you consider Messi (as an example) to be the one of the best in the world, are you implying that he has no room for improvement in any part of his game?

de niro said:
bluefandk said:
And some of the people who refused to accept any critisism of Hughes are now hurling abuse at Mancini.

Strange people indeed.

i dont think they hurl abuse at him despite his clueless substitutions, negative football and poor man management skills, i think most people agree about the change of manager needed at the end of the hughes reign.i was one of those that thought the sacking could have been handled better and never once wanted the lad to fail due to his rag roots, some though did.

strange people.

His substitutions are not clueless, the football is not negative, and his man manegement skills are not poor.

Repeting the same falsehoods over and over does not make them true.

peacefrog said:
It's there for all to see, man!

1 Chelsea
2 Arsenal
3 Man Utd
4 Man City

peacefrog said:
macmanson said:
Again, that point of the post is not to bash Mancini but to highlight that man management criticisms are not exactly something new for Mancini. It isn't something made up by City fans and some mard arse players as the pro Mancini camp likes to have it painted as. As I mentioned previously, it is a management style and does have it's merits as well as it's drawbacks like anything in life.

While is creates competition for spots in the team, it also upsets players and as a manager it becomes your job to manage those players and their expectations. Mancini has an assistant manager, first team coaches and trainers out the wazoo, so to me his primary responsibility is ensuring that he has a healthy competitive squad with all players pulling in the same direction. If all these players appear to have different expecations than the manager, then there is an obvious communication problem there.

These man management issues are what many believe to be the reason he struggled in European competitions as he played his favorites over players who were more accomplished. That's bad man management in my opinion. You field your best team always, regardless of how you feel about individual players or whether they support you or not. That's how the 2 ideas become related.
You say they're his favourites like there's some kind of nepotism going on. I'd like to think players get picked, not because they cost more money or have bigger reputations, but because they prove they're working hard on the training pitch and are willing to do the work Mancini askes of them.

I think we would all like that, but I don't think there is a single person on this board that can say that Jo is a better squad player than Bellamy. So obviously, merit is not the only selection criteria. Hughes was rightly blasted for the same behavior with regard to Elano.

As I have pointed out in previous threads, Mancini was quoted in the American press as far back as late July as saying that he wasn't sure that Bellamy would be in the squad. Then they tried to offload him to Wolfsburg all prior to his so called disrepectful and "unprompted" press conference. That doesn't exactly sound like they were rewarding people based on merit now does it?

simon23 said:
peacefrog said:

i think he means tactically doesnt know how it works and im inclined to agree in part
I'm sorry, maybe it's me but, that's still a bit vague for me. Maybe I just don't see thing as complicated as some people. It's football. The rules are the same wherever you play it. I know different leagues are seen as having different styles but, the differences aren't that great. And as someone who is known to be a "student of the game", I'm pretty sure Mancini was well clues up on english football a long time ago.

Mancio said:
macmanson said:

mancini has always field the best team he had. you know nothing about this , thats the truth.

mancini CL CV come with the team he had at his disposal , a team who was full of aged players not good enough. and the evidence of this comed from the first mourinho's year at inter when with mancini's players he had the same results if not worse.

then , selling ibrahimovic Inter got the money for buy the players who bringed the winnig mentality in the team , Lucio and Eto'o. and just with them results have come.

Right...or it could have been Mourinho's coaching, no?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.