Blackburn v City Post Match Thread

happy to take it back to the Etihad we played ok with some big players on the bench but looking at the games we have in jan we may need to play the kids never mind the 2nd team

Thought Fernandinho was the only City player to come away with some credit ran himself into the ground to cover for Garcia.

Anyway on the game poor performance from us of course a replay isn't ideal but going down to ten men and the way they lifted themselves thank god we didn't throw it away.

Really disappointed in Milner today his poorest game in a while, Garcia was all over the place and sadly Boyata performance was just terrible capped it off with a ridiculous red card.

Hard to take many positives but at least were still in the cup.

"Squad Players" not doing enough.

The one thing that absolutely infuriates me, Is when we play in the cup, why do our squad players perform poorly, surely if you want to challenge for a starting spot in the team, why not give 100 percent in these sort of games,

aside from James Milner, I cannot think of one player on the pitch today who could have walked off saying "I gave my all".

The same thing happened when we played Newcastle away in the Capital One Cup, the squad players for me dont look interested half the time.

Re: "Squad Players" not doing enough.

Couldn't agree more mate.

Damanino said:
Boyata is a joke, but that didnt surprise me. What is the strongest club where he would be a fix starter week in week out? We have to look that team in Championship or League One? Surely not in PL.

Milner was the another big joke today. He got everything wrong. Crosses, passes, tackles, headers, shots. Everything.

all in all passing accuracy was disgrace, also fielding such a strong team vs an average Blackburn side and in some periods there was chance Blackburn will go trough thats unacceptable.

Pellegrini clearly doesnt care about youth players, he didnt give any chance for them apart from a 24 year old Boyata but he no youngster is he?
Did we play any under 20 players this season? We had 20 league matches, 3 League Cup, 6 CL matches, 1 Fa Cup match, maybe its 0 minutes for the youngsters. And its about the same from now on until end of season...
Holistic maybe or I dont know what it is. Lol

Extra replay match, will be fantastic about 20.000 in attendance hopefully at least, huge risk of any important player getting injured, so it could be 3 extra matches more than chelsea is playing in January or Arsenal the two biggest rivals for title.
And with injuries to Rodwell, richards, Demichelis, Jovetic, Agüero, Nasri, we cant even rotate much, also because Pellegrini wont put in youngsters.
Lopes on bench is already a big thing from him. But doubt he would sub him on even if we would be 3-0 up...

Awful match, awful performances by our players.

100% agree.<br /><br />-- Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:00 pm --<br /><br />
MancunianCitizen said:
Thought Fernandinho was the only City player to come away with some credit ran himself into the ground to cover for Garcia.

Anyway on the game poor performance from us of course a replay isn't ideal but going down to ten men and the way they lifted themselves thank god we didn't throw it away.

Really disappointed in Milner today his poorest game in a while, Garcia was all over the place and sadly Boyata performance was just terrible capped it off with a ridiculous red card.

Hard to take many positives but at least were still in the cup.

Great summary.

Not too surprised by our lacklustre performance today. Watching javi garcia, boyata and gael clichy pass the ball to each other was probably the worst part though. You just know you can walk out, get some coffee, come back and still nothing would happen.

Still, a run out for our second string but sadly,nothing clicked.

Not just that they don't do enough, it's that they're not that good. The lack of pace and athleticism down the spine of the team was horrendous. Fernandinho can't be expected to do it all. An ideal opportunity for Lopes to have a crack......and he gets left on the bench

Brings the Bayern München game into real perspective. I've said since the day it happened that it was a game I'm not reading too much into. Some have gone overboard with it thinking we'll win the CL drawing their opinion from that game.

The game was like no other you'd get in a season. There was very little riding on it. both teams were through, München went 2-0 up and seemed like they sacked the game off thinking they'd won...the only other time we'll get a game like that is if we play game 37 or 38 in the league and we already know our league position and so do the opposition.

It was a remarkable come back and it's something I'll remember for a long time I reckon, but I'm never going to read too much into it in terms of how good we are.

Today a similar team played and they were absolute dross.

You'd think squad players would be desperate to make an impression and really show the boss they're in contention for a regular starting place. That didn't happen and it's he same on numerous occasions with some of them.

The way i see it is that some players do not care like the public maybe think they do/should.

A team like City is going to play anywhere from 46 (minimum) to 60+ games. With a squad of 25 players you are going to get game time, decent game time, over the whole season if you are one of the 6 or 8 players that are next in line after the first XI.

That actually breeds, in some, lethargy and lack of motivation as they know they are needed for busy schedules etc and they WILL get game time even in the champs league. The perceived level of competition for places is actually an illusion - but then again if there is zero competition then the 1st team will also become too complacent on being picked. There is a very very fine balance but with huge fixture schedules, many players are going to get a decent amount of games over the 9 months.

Another thing, if you play 30 games in all competitions (starts and subs) and come out of the back of the season with £50k a week after tax, then you have to question whether some players who know they are not quite good enough for the 1st XI will ever put in the effort? they will get medals and money and that will do them.

That lad who played for Spurs, Assou-Ekotto, gave a very very interesting interview once and I believe he is one of many players in this situation but the only one who had the balls to admit it : he said he doesnt really enjoy football but he has the gifted talent to make a large amount of money from his talent so he'd be mad not to. Sometimes the lack of enjoyment translates to lazy performances.

I would seriously doubt every player in a squad has the hunger to constantly fight, or the energy of Milner, or the desire to play his way into the 1st team only to be dropped again when inevitably knackered.

That all being said, most of the squad probably do want to play as much football as possible and they did not personally engineer the ridiculous wage structures and fixture lists. Today was a strangely subdued performance i agree but mark my words, most of them will play again in the home leg v Blackburn.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.