Bluemoon Angling Thread

My son in law who is new to the area wants to start sea fishing from the beach or rocks, we're based in Warrington and would appreciate if anyone can recommend some good fishing spots within 50 miles. He's never fished in the UK before so has no idea on what are the best methods to use, are there any decent websites out there for help? Cheers.

It's why I do so much Winter fishing.

It's also why I cherish going to Ireland notwithstanding that the bream have gone. Just jump in the boat and hide away somewhere.

Likewise in Portugal we seek out the wildest, most remote places where no-one ever goes just for the peace.

Same with the Wye. Most stretches you are allowed limited rods so my mates and I book the whole stretch.

It used to be great when Waterlog had a stretch of the Severn. There was no-one there so you could leave your tackle on a hot day and have a snooze under a tree.

I've got my eye on a stretch of the Avon where the owner has horses and hates anglers. A couple of years ago, before I retired it was for sale but I couldn't afford it. If there's a sniff of getting it niw, hoever, I'll be in there. I'll let you all know and you can come and have a fish in peace.

Bet Idaho doesn't have this issue.
That would be lovely, and if idaho wasn't so selfish he would invite us all on an all expenses paid (by him) trip of a lifetime, stunning round his way, tight fucker :)

My son in law who is new to the area wants to start sea fishing from the beach or rocks, we're based in Warrington and would appreciate if anyone can recommend some good fishing spots within 50 miles. He's never fished in the UK before so has no idea on what are the best methods to use, are there any decent websites out there for help? Cheers.
Youtu.be is always good for information, plus we have some of the finest anglers in the world in here:)

What happened to the bream in Ireland? Predation?

To be honest, I rarely see anyone fishing rivers in England. They all seem to fish commercials and carp venues these days.

I have absolutely no idea. 5 years ago we could get decent catches. Nothing like the 60s, 70s and early 80s but plenty of them. Now we're lucky if we get 2 between 3 of us in a week.

Something is going on though because I haven't caught a skimmer for 30 years. They simply haven't bred.

Rivers are certainly less frequented than stillwaters but I've definitely seen a sharp increase in numbers on the river since lockdown began.

I have absolutely no idea. 5 years ago we could get decent catches. Nothing like the 60s, 70s and early 80s but plenty of them. Now we're lucky if we get 2 between 3 of us in a week.

Something is going on though because I haven't caught a skimmer for 30 years. They simply haven't bred.

Rivers are certainly less frequented than stillwaters but I've definitely seen a sharp increase in numbers on the river since lockdown began.
Isn't there a school of thought that the Irish bream population has plummetted because of a proliferation of freshwater mussels?

Isn't there a school of thought that the Irish bream population has plummetted because of a proliferation of freshwater mussels?

Like anything in fishing, there's loads of theories like "they are being netted for export" or "the Eastern Europeans have eaten them", of which the mussels one is one of the most plausible. I don't know but, in that connection I can only say that the lakes used to be peaty whereas they are now gin clear.

The thing that really strikes me, though, is that a big bream is an old bream and, as I say, I haven't seen a young bream for decades. Another theory is that the proliferation of non-native roach has not only wiped out the rudd but also bred with the bream creating hybrids which are sterile. Thus, in the end, all you are left with is the roach.

Like anything in fishing, there's loads of theories like "they are being netted for export" or "the Eastern Europeans have eaten them", of which the mussels one is one of the most plausible. I don't know but, in that connection I can only say that the lakes used to be peaty whereas they are now gin clear.

The thing that really strikes me, though, is that a big bream is an old bream and, as I say, I haven't seen a young bream for decades. Another theory is that the proliferation of non-native roach has not only wiped out the rudd but also bred with the bream creating hybrids which are sterile. Thus, in the end, all you are left with is the roach.
The hybrids theory sounds plausible too. I doubt every Eastern European in the world could make much of a dent on Ireland's old bream stocks. I remember when Ireland was "the" destination for English anglers and had some great holidays, going out pre-baiting at night, gaving a few pints, then up at dawn hoping for a ton of bream.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.