Bluemoon Angling Thread

went off to partridge lakes this morning, i fished holbart, 1 decent carp,3 bream, anyway the place is so well looked after and they have a cafe on site, and i had bacon ,egg and sausage on toast that my mate who was in one of the matches brought to my peg :), the sun was out and everything was perfect, or should of been about 11 oclock(got there at 7ish) i was ready to pack up, not like me at all, then i realised i cant do commercials anymore after my river, lake and canal adventures, it had been nagging me all day, but i wasnt sure what the nag was until i was driving through the complex to the exit(approx 2pm), the place was hammered, and i thought fuck that, that's not for me.

i will still go out of courtesy to my friend, i enjoy his company on the bank, but i will never fish a commercial again on my own.

Having sat sweltering in the office yesterday on the final day of a 14 month consultancy, I decided to be up bright and early this morning to have a day at one of Leamington's relatively easy waters.

The best laid plans and all that. My new car wouldn't start so I had to get the RAC out. Battery was flat as a pancake which, obviously shouldn't happen after 9 days on the drive. Eventually, got it started and had to take it for a run so set off for Napton Reservoir which is far enough to get a bit of charge going

Bit of a bleak place and blowing a strong North Easterly wind. Set up with my back to it, threw in some groundbait and quivertipped double maggot. Started getting wrap arounds immediately and some stonking roach all between half and three quarters of a pound with a bonus large perch thrown in. A great day but a chilly one.

20210401_162451.jpg

Incidentally, as bags of groundbait are now around £4 a pop I've gone back to buying materials in bulk and making up my own. It's something I used to do back in 1991 when Archie Braddock published "Fantastic Feeder Fishing" and there's something very satisfying about it.

What I'm interested in, though, is whether the specimen anglers on here can recommend flavours, particles, small boilies etc which they've had to abandon because they were getting pestered by "nuisance fish" such as bream, tench and big roach. The sort of fish I'm after but which never pester me.

Incidentally, as bags of groundbait are now around £4 a pop I've gone back to buying materials in bulk and making up my own. It's something I used to do back in 1991 when Archie Braddock published "Fantastic Feeder Fishing" and there's something very satisfying about it.

What I'm interested in, though, is whether the specimen anglers on here can recommend flavours, particles, small boilies etc which they've had to abandon because they were getting pestered by "nuisance fish" such as bream, tench and big roach. The sort of fish I'm after but which never pester me.
Halibut pellets are an absolute bream magnet in waters where there are a lot of them. They are also probably the best general fish feed bait in the world so I’d be basing your mix on those or an alternative fishmeal like trout or salmon pellets. Halibuts are the best though.

Halibut pellets are an absolute bream magnet in waters where there are a lot of them. They are also probably the best general fish feed bait in the world so I’d be basing your mix on those or an alternative fishmeal like trout or salmon pellets. Halibuts are the best though.

Good call. Just ordered 5kilos of halibut powder and I've got some small pellets so if I don't catch at least 100lbs next time I'm out I'm giving up the sport.

I went out myself on Thursday evening after that warm day. The bait fish were a lot more obliging than the weekend and, after finding a shoal of topping fish, started catching Dace and Roach immediately on the drop. Several went back as they were too big for perch but I soon ended up with a nice bucket of bait. I fished it on 6lb line, a tiny pike bung and a single size 1/0 hook through the upper lip and attached to a small thin wire trace. This way I return the fish after every cast still alive and relatively unharmed.

I fished 5-6 different spots with these livebaits without a bite and got called home just as the light was fading. Another blank clocked up in the perch hunt but I’m too far committed now, especially as I’m collating loads of footage. I’ll find a
3lber if it kills me and then I’m going to fish for big carp for the rest of the spring until barbel time.

Was out on Wednesday at Coldingham. Arrived at 8.00am for the most idyllic spring morning. Warm sun, millpond calm, new lambs, daffodils out - you get the picture. And best of all, trout rising everywhere.
Set up and out on the boat in record time. By now a slight ripple so drifted rather than anchored up so I could cover fresh water. I had a washing line set up, Diawl Bach booby on the point to keep the flies in the top 2 feet of water. A buzzer and another diawl on the droppers. Second cast a good fish attacked the Diawl booby as soon as it hit the water. Game on.
I hooked and lost another two fish on the same drift, both of them taking to the air and shedding the barbless hook. The water was boiling with rising fish taking very small black flies off the surface. As a result I set up my 5 weight rod to do some serious dry fly fishing. Two small cdc patterns (called skinny dippers)
Glasgow Angling Centre on Twitter: By combining a slim, quick-sinking  abdomen with a dense plume of CDC Feather, the Shuttlecock imitates  brilliantly, a hatching Midge Pupa. Learn to tie the UV Skinny

One black like the picture and one olive.
I spent half and hour on this. Fish would swirl at the black one in particular but not take. Usually when they do that there is something wrong with your presentation, floro too thick, fly not lying right, just a small thing which puts them off taking with confidence. Its a lovely way to fish though, just flicking out short casts as you drift along, waiting ten seconds and then recast. Nothing doing though so went for an explore up the other end of the loch. No fish showing though so decided to stop pissing about and do some serious fishing. Motored back up the loch, anchored and started fishing with the washing line rod again. By now it was getting noticeably breezier and colder and I looked behind me to see a curtain of haar (sea mist) moving up the loch. Within 10 minutes the beautiful spring day had reverted back to late January.Visibility no better than 50 metres. Absolutely freezing. No fish moving at all so all change. Di 3 line and lures. Rest of the day was a bit of a slog but managed another 5 on lures before the cold took its toll and I jacked in about 2.30. Spring in Scotland.

1-FA1858-E-D1-E2-4336-9-D73-6-BF85-C87-FE16.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.