Bobby Charlton passes away at the age of 86

Sorry mate, each to their own but fuck that, watching City one week United the next.
City and only City. For me.
It was fairly common practice back then. You loved football, so you went with your friends and family to watch football (even if you were willing the opposition to win whenever it was swamp week).

Having said that, I think I lasted 3 games of being surrounded by the deluded, cultish, mouthy twats before I binned it off.

Harks back to the days when, despite supporting tour favourite team, football fans always admired those who gave so much. Pele, Maradonna, Eusebio, Bobby Charlton, Johan Cruyff etc etc. Sadly the game has become so much more tribal over the last few years that many fans no longer appreciate brilliant players from other clubs.

It was fairly common practice back then. You loved football, so you went with your friends and family to watch football (even if you were willing the opposition to win whenever it was swamp week).

Having said that, I think I lasted 3 games of being surrounded by the deluded, cultish, mouthy twats before I binned it off.
My Dad did the same watching City and the Rags in the 1950's , but after the Munich air disaster he chose to only go to Maine Rd. , when i asked him why , he just said things had changed but never got to the bottom of it.
The Munich disaster probably got the Rags loads more fans with the sympathy element , maybe a lot of outsiders started going to the Swamp for morbid curioisity , mysteriously my Dad went the other way and never stepped inside the Swamp again after Feb 1958 , he had his reasons but he never shared them

Wonder the chances of us taking the Franny banner and they having one for Charlton? Two clubs respecting players of the same era who have sadly passed within weeks of each other.

I’d love that to be a thing.

My Dad did the same watching City and the Rags in the 1950's , but after the Munich air disaster he chose to only go to Maine Rd. , when i asked him why , he just said things had changed but never got to the bottom of it.
The Munich disaster probably got the Rags loads more fans with the sympathy element , maybe a lot of outsiders started going to the Swamp for morbid curioisity , mysteriously my Dad went the other way and never stepped inside the Swamp again after Feb 1958 , he had his reasons but he never shared them
Not the thread but, maybe he wasn’t happy about the club’s treatment of survivors?

Last edited:
Like your Dad I went one week City one week Trafford because I couldn’t afford to go to away games.
I was at the last Trafford match before Munich and the first one after Munich.
But the next season I chose City because I had heard things about Trafford that I didn’t like. Plus I was a fan of Duncan Edwards and still feel to this day that he was the best English footballer I have ever seen.
I have been to a couple of away games there over the years but not for about 15 yrs now.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.