Brahim Diaz - 2018/19 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you think that Foden learned in his 10mins cameo against Huddersfield? Neither him or Pep would’ve learned anything from it. And it’s not about prioritizing young players over results. It’s actually possible to both play young players and win games.
Foden would have learned that in ten short mins he has the ability to create 3 clear goal scoring chances against premiership opponent's .
Not to be sniffed at,imo...looking at the england game a ccouple of weeks later he would have watched a clear lack of creativity in southgates side.
Putting the two instances together the player will be seriously considering his position at City sooner rather than later..
Both Pep and Foden will have learned an awful lot from his 10 min cameo,and it is naive to think any different...

Oh yeah and that's in many ways true. And when "leaving" youth football for senior football that's a good way to integrate them. But imo Foden and Diaz have been a part of this squad long enough as being good enough so they don't need these ten minutes to just get a taste of top level football. Their sub appearances against Southampton last season were amazing for both of them despite it only being 10-15 minutes. The crowd was really alive, the game was tied and we really wanted to win the game to reach 100 points. Compare that game and to the one Foden got against Huddersfield for example, or to 90% of the games they have featured in. Looking at Foden or Diaz I'd say they won't learn anything more by getting short cameos in dead games. They need to be put under pressure, both mentally and by the opponents and crowd to develop their mental, technical and physical attributes.

I think the opposite.

Imo both went through the stages of either being neat & tidy but safe & unthreatening, & 'the too many tricks, shit first touch /trying too hard to impress' stage & are at the point where they are primed to do something top quality & prove themselves.

But imo the less time they get, to do that, & the longer it takes, the more likelihood they slip back to one of the earlier stages.

We have even Seen Leroy Sané at 22 suffer from it in his last appearence & Vardy now, even with more game time.

Foden would have learned that in ten short mins he has the ability to create 3 clear goal scoring chances against premiership opponent's .
Not to be sniffed at,imo...looking at the england game a ccouple of weeks later he would have watched a clear lack of creativity in southgates side.
Putting the two instances together the player will be seriously considering his position at City sooner rather than later..
Both Pep and Foden will have learned an awful lot from his 10 min cameo,and it is naive to think any different...
Yep Foden looked good in that cameo. But Huddersfields defending wasn't good and some individuals had clearly given up. I don't think Pep learned too much however. I think he knows that Foden is technically excellent, very clever in his decision making and movement. He knows that Foden will be able to create lots of chances against a tired team that are five goals down in the end. But there is no "real" pressure on him to create anything and if he loses possession the opponents probably won't punish him for it. I think he could've scored a goal and set up another one and he still wouldn't be closer to start games for us.

I think the opposite.

Imo both went through the stages of either being neat & tidy but safe & unthreatening, & 'the too many tricks, shit first touch /trying too hard to impress' stage & are at the point where they are primed to do something top quality & prove themselves.

But imo the less time they get, to do that, & the longer it takes, the more likelihood they slip back to one of the earlier stages.

We have even Seen Leroy Sané at 22 suffer from it in his last appearence & Vardy now, even with more game time.
I'm sorry, don't know if my brain is dead after working the whole day but I don't understand what you mean really. But yeah, if they try too much they may very well end up having shit touches and look bad. And if Foden or Diaz won't get more game time while being just neat and tidy they will soon start to play more for themselves because they will be desperate (especially Diaz) to show Pep they belong here.

I'm sorry, don't know if my brain is dead after working the whole day but I don't understand what you mean really. But yeah, if they try too much they may very well end up having shit touches and look bad. And if Foden or Diaz won't get more game time while being just neat and tidy they will soon start to play more for themselves because they will be desperate (especially Diaz) to show Pep they belong here.

I mean, with young kids there is a prime moment imo where they can change from being window dressing, into potential genuine players. I recon Foden hit that point pre season & Diaz is close to it.

When it happens, imo, you get them on the pitch as much as possible, even if it's just for one little run where the crowd goes "ooh ahh" & the kid thinks "I feel comfortable here". If you miss that window, they can become nervous or too excited again, the next time they get on & from being possible matchwinners, go back to square one, where they really don't add anything & thus, aren't really worth picking apart from as a favour to help them.

Pep has to balance his team aspirations with the needs of the individual players, of course, but from the point of view of Diaz & Foden, their best chance of developing quickly is to be on the pitch finding out what works, with & against senior players.

Pep has to balance his team aspirations with the needs of the individual players, of course, but from the point of view of Diaz & Foden, their best chance of developing quickly is to be on the pitch finding out what works, with & against senior players.
Yes, I agree. But in order to keep his team of stars happy and driving one another, he also has to stick to the principle that the players who train best get picked. I can see why one might not want to make exceptions to that.

I think it will be impossible to let him sign new contract when he can't even be on the bench.

i think he will end up leaving. hes barely going to get any game time this season. cup games isn't enough for him now

right now there is no pathway into our first team for young players no matter how good they are

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.