Brighton (A) - Post-Match Thread

It amazes me that this isn’t seen as conserving energy, in fact it’s clueless...

I don't think it's as simple as just conserving energy. Nothing conserves energy like substitutions, and other than that, getting a 4th and going 4-0 up in the second half would have killed off Brighton's resistance immediately and let the game play out at a walking pace - that's saving energy.

I think Pep's always been pretty consistent that when things get tough, he wants the players on the pitch to fix it. The reason Xabi Alonso described playing for Pep as an MBA in football is because he throws so much responsibility onto the players.

So another manager might see Brighton getting on top for 10 minutes and feel he needs to intervene, Pep sees it as the point where the players learn something by getting back on top. He wants them to find the solution themselves, whether that's by going back up through the gears after thinking they could relax, or by changing their play to counter Potter.

We have very few occasions when we're up against it, and that cost us at the beginning of Pep's time here because the players looked shocked and panicked when they went behind which lead to collapses or wasting 10 minutes trying to recuperate. These days he is more hands off, lets the players have more autonomy and as a result we looked much better last season when we ran into a setback in the CL like at Dortmund and PSG.

So the linesman missed it ? A clear offside seen by everyone! I assumed he was keeping his flag down as per the new guidelines
I think the problem was that the linesman did indeed miss it. Had the linesman thought it was offside the flag would have gone up eventually.

Your memory is going Vic as you were at several away games when we sang it.
It was sung for a couple of seasons after the takeover then faded as we changed to glorifying our heroes. There was always some slagging of the rags, which is acceptable as they are our local rivals. The song that really pissed me off was the one about Scousers in Ukraine when we'd won three trophies during the previous season.
That's what I mean. It's years since we sang it, and it was explicitly dropped because it was arrogant. So "Do we ever sing it?" not "Did we ever sing it?"

I think the problem was that the linesman did indeed miss it. Had the linesman thought it was offside the flag would have gone up eventually.
Correct - except I think "should have gone up". But of course with PGMOL's "never explain, never apologise" omerta we'll never know.

Pep sees it as the point where the players learn something by getting back on top. He wants them to find the solution themselves
But in the Cup Final against Watford City were 2-0 up at half time them Watford looked like getting back into it. Pep didn't wait, he brought on De Bruyne and the game was promptly put to bed.

According to the match report on the Daily Mail Online...

"In the corridors of the Amex Stadium as you walk towards the press box, there are pictures hanging on the walls. One of them is from Brighton’s victory over City last season, when they came from 2-0 down to win 3-2."
We are literally the cup final for some clubs now. Still won 1-4. Excellent result.
Whoa chap! I know you’re a supporter of probably the best team in the world but a bit of humility wouldn’t go amiss. Remember you were a struggling club in the not too distant past. Every team that’s in the Premier League is there on merit and has had to fight to earn that right. Take that image shown of a Brighton victory over your goodselves as a mark of respect. By the way the expression should be “metaphorically the cup final for some clubs” - literally is when you stuffed Watford 6-0. Pedants are us, eh!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.