Bring Back Joe Hart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Totally different skill sets.

It's like trying to train you or me into being a ball playing defender when we don't have the required skill set. Or turning Kun into a keeper.

One would assume any professional outfield footballer would have some level of skill with ball at feet in the first place.

I accept what you are saying in the spirit it was intended. I just can't see that it's a bigger leap than everyone else has to make. He won't make Neuer standard but a significant improvement in this department, allied to his shot-stopping strength, would make for a pretty good GK. The debate won't die unless or until Bravo improves radically.

I accept what you are saying in the spirit it was intended. I just can't see that it's a bigger leap than everyone else has to make. He won't make Neuer standard but a significant improvement in this department, allied to his shot-stopping strength, would make for a pretty good GK. The debate won't die unless or until Bravo improves radically.
Fingers fucking crossed for tonight.

Bravo is poo, he might be good at Barca with maybe one shot at him all game. Here he gets quite a few and has forgotten that he's supposed to stop them

It's not really about Joe's ability with his feet, which I've always personally thought is ok. It's his decision making and the speed at which he executes it that is the primary issue imo - and that a quality that is much more difficult to impart than a particular skill, especially in a seemingly obdurate 29 year old.

Can bold, effective decision making be taught? I'm not sure it can, especially at that age. I believe Joe is hardwired to hesitate before releasing the ball, just like some golfers and snooker players take time over their shots - and others play on instinct and with gusto. It's just the way their brains are wired. I believe Pep is looking for a Jimmy White rather than a Cliff Thorburn.

Bravo is poo, he might be good at Barca with maybe one shot at him all game. Here he gets quite a few and has forgotten that he's supposed to stop them
Again, he saved more per game on the last two years there than Hart managed here.

Whether he can recover than form or has turned to shit we will know shortly.

It's not really about Joe's ability with his feet, which I've always personally thought is ok. It's his decision making and the speed at which he executes it that is the primary issue imo - and that a quality that is much more difficult to impart than a particular skill, especially in a seemingly obdurate 29 year old.

Can bold, effective decision making be taught? I'm not sure it can, especially at that age. I believe Joe is hardwired to hesitate before releasing the ball, just like some golfers and snooker players take time over their shots - and others play on instinct and with gusto. It's just the way their brains are wired. I believe Pep is looking for a Jimmy White rather than a Cliff Thorburn.

But isn't it largely about decision-making for others too? Like when to go upfield, when to stay, when to cover a colleague, when to shoot, when (not) to back-pass? I do believe those things are possible to address with training and constant drilling, given decent raw material and goodwill on both sides. Speed of thought is a different matter, I agree, being more hard-wired.

You mention obduracy and I do wonder if that's the real issue. If he quietly told Pep to fcuk off, then it's no surprise the tables were turned. But, in the absence of any evidence of that, it's a decision that troubled me slightly.

Totally different skill sets.

It's like trying to train you or me into being a ball playing defender when we don't have the required skill set. Or turning Kun into a keeper.

One would assume any professional outfield footballer would have some level of skill with ball at feet in the first place.
Well if a failed midfield player can be turned into a keeper why not Kun pretty decent with the ball at his feet, his passing needs bit of work and I know he's a bit small but one on one he'll scare the shit out of oncoming forwards. All we'd have to work on is avoiding dropping the ball at a forwards feet and passing it directly to them while 30 yards out and problem positions solved.

He faced more shots per game at Barcelona than he is here.

Well if a failed midfield player can be turned into a keeper why not Kun pretty decent with the ball at his feet, his passing needs bit of work and I know he's a bit small but one on one he'll scare the shit out of oncoming forwards. All we'd have to work on is avoiding dropping the ball at a forwards feet and passing it directly to them while 30 yards out and problem positions solved.
Our keeper dropped a ball since his debut?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.