Burnley Vs City Post Match Thread

LoveCity said:
So do you believe that because goals from corners aren't frequent, we should accept the mediocrity we're seeing from them?

I believe that looking at a certain situation where the chances of a goal on average are almost nil as a way of discussing something that is worrysome is ill-conceived. Goals from corners are a comparative rarity and the focus on them is something I've always found incredibly strange. I've always considered it a good example of using a sort of cliched opinion that somehow found its way into the minds of football fans and has never really been able to be dislodged.

Here's a stat right back at you: We scored 10 goals from corners last season. We have scored 2 goals from corners this season. Do you not think those 8 missing goals could have helped us this season? Perhaps the Arsenal game for example where we weren't good but had 16 corners and a head on the end of just one of those could have turned the game.

Goals could help from anywhere. Instead of looking at 8 goals from corners (and to be fair we overachieved with 10 goals the season before in that respect), I'd be much more concerned about the other ~30 goals that we're on course to have scored less than last year. Our attacking threat has disappeared which is seemingly why this whole corner conversation comes up.

If we'd scored 100 goals this year and still only 2 from corners then the focus would be much reduced. This is why I said it's a measure of form - most people (not all but most) only really point to things like this when we're already in bad form and there are problems elsewhere

And my gripes with our corners (and throw-ins) precedes our poor form. Heck the "Corners" thread precedes this awful run of form and was created early in the season. Why? Because it's been an issue for a while. We have more corners than anyone in the league and should aim to use them to our advantage.

We should aim to be great at everything, yes. But my point is that there are much bigger concerns for our staff to be looking at in terms of our ability to score goals than corners and the attention it gets comparatively is mystifying.

Honestly, I don't get the fascination with them It's focusing on an almost insignificant point rather than noticing that our entire attacking threat has collapsed and looking at the reasons for that instead. I think it's one of those zonal marking debates where it's just really easy to point to rather than the collapse of our attack which is a much, much harder thing to pin down rationally

Most of our games are lost by the odd goal and we have also drawn a few.
Very small margins determine many results.
Just 3 goals from corners in three of our drawn games would have produced 6 points and we would still be talking about winning the league.
But hey, why bother with minor details.
I wonder what PSG's take is on corners!!

Bentheblue said:
Just 3 goals from corners in three of our drawn games would have produced 6 points and we would still be talking about winning the league.

Something Stinks.

We outplayed, outhustled, outpossessed, outshot, outrun (2nd in distance covered for a PL team) !

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...ealed-the-Premier-Leagues-fittest-player.html

So we can't blame the tactics, the efforts of most of the players or the Manager.

Why the 'odd goal' that we can't stop or prevent?'

Every shot (rare and limited) that is on target by our opponent we end up dreading with a sense of deja vu.

Bentheblue said:

You have about a 1 in 250 chance of scoring from a touch after a corner.

You have a 1 in 3 chance of scoring from a clear cut chance.

You can concentrate on improving the corners for find those 3 goals if you want but I'm a bit more concerned about us improving the other one.

Taximania said:
But do you know what after 56 pages of emotion and evaluation and deep deep appraisal.
Don't you you still love and adore Manchester City football club .

We will learn and evolve and eventually grow to be one of the most dominating forces in European football.
Of that there is no doubt so please rejoice and enjoy this ride.

Mcfc OK

I just hope going to the game stays fun. Players and cups will come and go. As long as we stay City I'll be happy.

We're Man City, we beat the first man, we beat the first man... :)

If it all goes prawn I'm going Moss Lane.

city2 said:
If the players have had enough of pellegrini and don't wanna play for him, then surely they want to play for the owner the club the fans the shirt, who have all invested huge amounts of money over the years to watch there team and don't deserve this from the players.They are all multi millionaires and do as they please time to get rid of the ones causing the rift in this club of ours.

Perhaps the owner should have a word with the chairman and get him to go to Manchester and ask some searching questions. not only of the admin and manager, but also the players - NUMBER ONE PRIORITY. And if the owner doesn't like the answers the chairman gives him then he needs to DEMAND solutions IMMEDIATELY.
(Goddamnit my CapsLock Key kept getting stuck)

Bluekiwi said:
city2 said:
If the players have had enough of pellegrini and don't wanna play for him, then surely they want to play for the owner the club the fans the shirt, who have all invested huge amounts of money over the years to watch there team and don't deserve this from the players.They are all multi millionaires and do as they please time to get rid of the ones causing the rift in this club of ours.

Perhaps the owner should have a word with the chairman and get him to go to Manchester and ask some searching questions. not only of the admin and manager, but also the players - NUMBER ONE PRIORITY. And if the owner doesn't like the answers the chairman gives him then he needs to DEMAND solutions IMMEDIATELY.
(Goddamnit my CapsLock Key kept getting stuck)

This is almost literally the exact job that he pays Manuel Pellegrini to do.

CAE7CJeWUAAmIbe.jpg:large

This picture just highlights the problem we have.

How on earth can you have a midfield two who BOTH run to the ball in either an advanced position or covering on the wing, which just leads to a space in the centre of midfield for someone to run into.

How can Burnley (who play a midfield two btw) manage to suss out the problem AND STILL have one of their players running through.

It'd been happening all season and the defence is just left to try and sort it out, you would of thought after the shambles at Anfield with Coutinho having the freedom of Liverpool and Mascherano and Pique just running through as if nobodies around, someone would of highlighted this and sorted it out.

The problem with this team atm what pisses me off is the fact it doesn't look like they work on the mistakes in training trying to rectify the problem, it's like they've got in watched the video of the past game before training (whether they watch it or not who knows) and then just carry on with the same training methods that clearly don't work and just dismiss everything that happened.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.