Car Crashes Into School

Maybe highway/safety engineers responsible should have considered safety barriers ?
I think it took out the safety barrier at the gates which is actually designed to stop kids running straight out of the gates rather than stop a 2.5 to 3 ton car. There's no way you can put barriers in place around the entire perimeter to stop that. Given the 20mph zone with tight roads and parking everywhere you'd have to figure she had some sort of medical issue and the car just carried on rolling. Very tragic whatever the reason.

Sign of the times, when I was at prmary/junior school everybody walked there and back.
Sadly that's correct, in fact my parents never drove. If I walk the dog past the local primary schools at chucking out times the areas are awash with SUVs and cars parked anywhere they want and are just accidents waiting to happen.

I think it took out the safety barrier at the gates which is actually designed to stop kids running straight out of the gates rather than stop a 2.5 to 3 ton car. There's no way you can put barriers in place around the entire perimeter to stop that. Given the 20mph zone with tight roads and parking everywhere you'd have to figure she had some sort of medical issue and the car just carried on rolling. Very tragic whatever the reason.
It’s possible she stomped on the accelerator rather than the brake, if it was an automatic.
Happens many times a year, especially to the elderly - there was a thread years ago about it.

With regard to the suggestion (not by you) of having vehicle proof barriers around school… it prompted me to think of the US where schools now have panic rooms, bent designed corridors, metal detectors, security guards… all to save kids lives… without actually confronting or fixing the real issue.

It’s possible she stomped on the accelerator rather than the brake, if it was an automatic.
Happens many times a year, especially to the elderly - there was a thread years ago about it.

With regard to the suggestion (not by you) of having vehicle proof barriers around school… it prompted me to think of the US where schools now have panic rooms, bent designed corridors, metal detectors, security guards… all to save kids lives… without actually confronting or fixing the real issue.
Given the car I'd think it's nailed on to be an automatic (do they do manuals of Range Rovers?) but she's in her 40's. It's still possible and she then panicked and didn't brake but we'll have to wait and see on that.

Having owned automatics for 13 years I agree it's possible to press the wrong pedal, however the realisation is so quick that the correct pedal is pressed even before the shout of "fucking hell"** has been uttered. That minimal delay might be crucial if someone is parked on a cliff edge, but not when the car travels several yards before hitting something.
Panic might have an effect in some cases but I'd say a medical incident is more likely in this case.

** Other expletives are available.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.