Car Crashes Into School

Perhaps we need additional driver raining and testing for large, heavy cars. Anything bigger than a Nissan Micra, or do we set the bar slightly higher?
I don't know, for me there just needs to be less of them. You might be right, maybe just adding an extra layer of inconvenience would achieve that.

Personally I think I'd just ban the new registration of SUVs in inner city postcodes. Zero chance of course.

Most rural people I know can make a Defender last for ages - how they get them thru an MOT has to be seen to be believed - one guy used to come down out of the hills here in an early 90's Subaru estate that seemed to be held together with gaffa tape and NATO green Hammerite - not the guy to spend minimum £55k on a brand new one
It's called ' old school engineering ' There's a mechanics at the end of our road, Old bloke, son and grandson run it and they always have a regular supply of Landys in. The get absolutely battered carrying sheep, dogs, feed, posts...you name it, it gets thrown in the back, left out, used and abused, never washed....why should they, they just get welded up, repaired and sent on their way. Cant see the Jap pick ups lasting as long although he says they are more reliable. God only knows how the new Defender will fair up as a farming work tool with all the electronic wizardry and that's probably why second hand Defenders are so pricey

It's called ' old school engineering ' There's a mechanics at the end of our road, Old bloke, son and grandson run it and they always have a regular supply of Landys in. The get absolutely battered carrying sheep, dogs, feed, posts...you name it, it gets thrown in the back, left out, used and abused, never washed....why should they, they just get welded up, repaired and sent on their way. Cant see the Jap pick ups lasting as long although he says they are more reliable. God only knows how the new Defender will fair up as a farming work tool with all the electronic wizardry and that's probably why second hand Defenders are so pricey

A guy I worked with came into some cash and treated himself to one of the run out models - black LWB job - with a few extra's - that was late 2015 I seem to recall. Has it serviced at the dealers, low miles etc - reckons he could get his money back at least if he sold now. Every time he takes it for a service the dealers ask is he ready to change and ask him for first refusal when he decides to sell and he is always coming back to it when parked to find notes on the windscreen from people wanting to buy it !

I don't know, for me there just needs to be less of them. You might be right, maybe just adding an extra layer of inconvenience would achieve that.

Personally I think I'd just ban the new registration of SUVs in inner city postcodes. Zero chance of course.
The one that gets me is the number of Ford Ranger Double Cabs type vehicles you see in the UK. Where did the need for these suddenly come from ? Tradesmen used to have a van.

It all seems to come down to tax as it’s classed as a commercial vehicle and they are not taxed based upon CO2 emissions which drive’s completely the wrong behaviours. They don’t fit in parking bays at supermarkets and are too big in general for UK roads.

When it comes to this SUV fad with people that don’t really need them, if you want a car to carry a load of stuff then buy an estate model of a normal car. The Audi A6 avant I had some years ago could hold considerably more than a Range Rover Sport and was much better on fuel.

The one that gets me is the number of Ford Ranger Double Cabs type vehicles you see in the UK. Where did the need for these suddenly come from ? Tradesmen used to have a van.

It all seems to come down to tax as it’s classed as a commercial vehicle and they are not taxed based upon CO2 emissions which drive’s completely the wrong behaviours. They don’t fit in parking bays at supermarkets and are too big in general for UK roads.

When it comes to this SUV fad with people that don’t really need them, if you want a car to carry a load of stuff then buy an estate model of a normal car. The Audi A6 avant I had some years ago could hold considerably more than a Range Rover Sport and was much better on fuel.
Off the main topic, but the Ranger type vehicles make sense. Bloke at our local has one. His work equipment is in the back and the cab has seats like a regular car woukd for his family. No need for two vehicles.

Quite an eye catching vehicle in the copper colour his is.

Drove a Ford Ranger from Leeds to Trafford Park a few months back and it was a piece of piss to drive.
Large vehicles are not challenging at all to drive so more people are buying them rather than a van and a car.

If this was her first seizure it’s very sad.
If it wasn’t she should have surrendered he driving licence.

For me this is more worrying than the type of vehicle she was driving. Some 30 years ago I worked with a woman who drove herself to work daily and would periodically have seizures whilst on shift. It bothered me as I was married to an epileptic at the time who wasn't allowed to drive. She eventually gave her job up as, if I recall correctly they rightly took her licence.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.