Champions League 2019/2020 season

When I was a kid in the 70s I really wanted a Liverpool kit but the Grattan Catalogue only had Man City kits which is what I got. I was the only kid in our school wearing a Man City kit which greatly contributed to my frequent involvement in violent skirmishes. However, I still have a soft spot for you lot which brings me on to the point I was intending to make. There's loads of really bitter City fans on this thread mouthing off about how shit the CL is and they couldn't care less about winning it. What a total pile of shite, it's what you most desire. Just have the courage to admit it.
When a team wins a league they are usually the best team, or one of the best, in it, and the stats tend to back that up. I think City fans are still in that area where that is the most important thing for them. The CL has a particular falseness to it, whereby a team can win it by being neither the best team in their own league nor even the best team in the CL itself (by win/lose stats). When you look back over time, you think about the extended periods of dominance a team may have had in its league such as Liverpool (70s/80s) and the rags (90s/00s) and not the knockout competitions EXCEPT occasionally where a team may have won a cup a few times in a row, such as Liverpool in the early 80s.

I think it will change, but City are still learning how to dominate the league and (hopefully) retaining it this year will be the start. Personally I don't care much for the CL. I'd like to win it of course, but only because it seems to be important to the club for its image and for attracting new players.

There's an ambivalence about the CL amongst a large proportion of our support (including me) but it must be a huge source of frustration for our owners that we have been so lacklustre in this competition. Although I and many others could live with us never winning it I'm sure that isn't the case for the club hierarchy so it probably will be made the primary target each season until we win it (if we ever do) rather than stacking up domestic trophies.

Ha, thanks for telling us how we feel! I'm sure every City fan would love to win the Champions League, but it's absolutely not what we most desire, as you put it. The owners presumably want it more than anything else, but we had a thread on here earlier in the season (whilst we were still in the CL) and the majority said that the Premier League was the priority. PL, CL, FA Cup, Carabao Cup is the order of priority for most fans.

I mainly want to win the CL so everyone in the media can shut the fuck up about how we need to win it.

I would love the Champions League. But I'd hate to win it without winning the league too. CL wins when you don't win the domestic league too are the icing without the cake. That's why the league will *always* be my priority.

for me its how I have felt about football since I started watching it in 1974, the league was the biggest thrill of all followed by the fa cup. The European cups at that time just felt like an added bonus, well it did to me when I was 8 !

As time went on it seemed to be forced on to us as "the tournament" then got thrusted even more at us by a governing football body I have little respect for. It feels like an xfactor glamour to me, don't get me wrong would like to win it, but to me I don't feel as though the team that wins it is the best team of that particular season.

I think younger fans or the all new club owners that started watching football at an era when the CL took off do believe its the dogs b******s. Who knows perhaps some think a top singer is the one who wins xfactor.

I do think calling it the champions league is a farce, the old European cup had more appeal as it was for the countries champions only, now you can land 4th and have never even won your league but yet be in it. The word "champions" needs taking out of the title. To think that the champions league final is between two teams that have never won the premier league, that where way over 20 points off the title last season and have been beaten 5 teams between them in the build up to the final. Rather odd.

Obviously the club will need to win the CL at some stage but i can't raise much enthusiasm for it .
Whether that's because of UEFA or the fact we've never really achieved anything in the CL i don't know.
Probably a bit of both

Like to win it - Yes
Thing I most desire? - No
The thing I most desire is the League -year in, year out, without exception.
Pep has also stated when we were still in with a shout of winning the thing that the League was his priority. Media outlets constantly go on about it yet never once have I heard any member of Citys hierarchy prioritise the CL ahead of the League or the way we play as a reason why Pep was brought to the club.
Klopp can have his trinket as long as we win the main prize I don't give a fuck.

for me its how I have felt about football since I started watching it in 1974, the league was the biggest thrill of all followed by the fa cup. The European cups at that time just felt like an added bonus, well it did to me when I was 8 !

As time went on it seemed to be forced on to us as "the tournament" then got thrusted even more at us by a governing football body I have little respect for. It feels like an xfactor glamour to me, don't get me wrong would like to win it, but to me I don't feel as though the team that wins it is the best team of that particular season.

I think younger fans or the all new club owners that started watching football at an era when the CL took off do believe its the dogs b******s. Who knows perhaps some think a top singer is the one who wins xfactor.

I do think calling it the champions league is a farce, the old European cup had more appeal as it was for the countries champions only, now you can land 4th and have never even won your league but yet be in it. The word "champions" needs taking out of the title. To think that the champions league final is between two teams that have never won the premier league, that where way over 20 points off the title last season and have been beaten 5 teams between them in the build up to the final. Rather odd.

Come on. You're mincing words here. "Never won the premier league" is a common phrase in this thread. Liverpool have won the league title eighteen times, whereas City have won the league title five times. Doesn't your title from 67/68 count because it wasn't called the PL? In fact, it all smoke and mirrors. Both Liverpool and City have more points right now than any of United's title winning teams of the 90s. Leicester have won the PL. And so too have Blackburn. Pedigree? I'm not so sure.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.