Champions League Draw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Champions League Draw Pots

Dont think we will have to wait that long.
I believe that we need to get about 35 ranking points next year to get into pot 1 for 2013-14. That is possible if we make the CL semi final or europa cup final next year together with good domestic points.
Have a look at current rankings and points.
<a class="postlink" href="http://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/data/method4/trank2012.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uef ... k2012.html</a>

coulsonblue said:
The way it is, it won't be until the 2015/16 season that we are in Pot 1 due to our co-efficients for the years we weren't in Europe over the last 5 years.

This is based on the teams currently in Pot 1, maintaining their european and domestic performance, and on us not making it out of the group stages.

Of course, if we do better then this process of getting into pot 1 is accelerated.

JustAnotherCityFan said:
Just seen we're joint 2nd favorites with Real Madrid to win it! :)
Quality! I'm not sure it's justified personally. I think we're still a way off winning it at the moment.

strongbowholic said:
JustAnotherCityFan said:
Quality! I'm not sure it's justified personally. I think we're still a way off winning it at the moment.

I disagree, we are way better than Chelsea, the league table proves it.

All we need is a few slices of the luck they had this season...

Charity shield
Prem champs
Champions league winners

Thats my prediction, you heard it here first!!!

Now, back to the beer :)

FC Nordsjaelland (ground capacity 10,000) have clinched the Danish league tonight and go straight into group stages....meaning FC Copenhagen have to qualify.

For a look at what pots might look look like...scroll down to bottom of this link:
<a class="postlink" href="http://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/seedcl2012.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uef ... l2012.html</a>

N.B. Unlikely that all seeded teams will make it through qualifiers, so expect PSG + Galatasaray to move up to Pot 3.
Celtic have a fighting chance of making Pot 3 if they qualify...while Borussia Dortmund need a few upsets / newcomers (e.g. Malaga) to make it through to have a chance of moving up a pot.

From a City perspective...it might be better if all the above teams did somehow end up in Pot 3...since it increases chances of weaker team from Pot 4 (with Malaga / Borussia Muenchengladbach as wildcards to avoid, if they make it through)

Scooby Blue said:
FC Nordsjaelland (ground capacity 10,000) have clinched the Danish league tonight and go straight into group stages....meaning FC Copenhagen have to qualify.

For a look at what pots might look look like...scroll down to bottom of this link:
<a class="postlink" href="http://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/seedcl2012.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uef ... l2012.html</a>

N.B. Unlikely that all seeded teams will make it through qualifiers, so expect PSG + Galatasaray to move up to Pot 3.
Celtic have a fighting chance of making Pot 3 if they qualify...while Borussia Dortmund need a few upsets / newcomers (e.g. Malaga) to make it through to have a chance of moving up a pot.

From a City perspective...it might be better if all the above teams did somehow end up in Pot 3...since it increases chances of weaker team from Pot 4 (with Malaga / Borussia Muenchengladbach as wildcards to avoid, if they make it through)
Borussia Moenchengladbach! I remember us playing them in the 1970s in the UEFA Cup. They had a player called Allan Simonsen who tore us apart (mind you I was only 8 or 9). Think he was European player of the year and I think Gladbach got to the final that year (can't remember if they won it though).

standupifyouhatemanu said:
strongbowholic said:
JustAnotherCityFan said:

I disagree, we are way better than Chelsea, the league table proves it.

All we need is a few slices of the luck they had this season...

Charity shield
Prem champs
Champions league winners

Thats my prediction, you heard it here first!!!

Now, back to the beer :)

We have as much chance of winning it as anyone, but as seen with Chelsea they were made to wait for it for some time even after they won a few titles and arguably with their squad far from its peak and with all the problems and adversity during the season ended up winning it in the unlikeliest of circumstances.

I think we found out this season that the Champions League is a completely different game the experience and narrowly missing out will stand us in good stead. I would be happy with some more scintillating games and progression in to the knockout stages which will provide more experience for the team.
A counter argument to those who say City lack experience is that people like Yaya are champions league winners etc. but the experience comes needs to come from a team perspective a team winning silverware together, competing in the tournaments as a team is important as opposed to individuals experience. That said winning the FA Cup, and now the PL will build the silverware winning mentality and the experience.

coulsonblue said:
The way it is, it won't be until the 2015/16 season that we are in Pot 1 due to our co-efficients for the years we weren't in Europe over the last 5 years.

This is based on the teams currently in Pot 1, maintaining their european and domestic performance, and on us not making it out of the group stages.

Of course, if we do better then this process of getting into pot 1 is accelerated.

We will be in Pot 2 for next years draw:

Pot 1
Chelsea
FC Barcelona
Manchester United
Bayern München
Real Madrid
Arsenal
Porto
AC Milan

Pot 2
Valencia
Benfica
Shakhtar Donetsk
Zenit
Schalke 04
Manchester City

Pot 3
Olympiakos
Ajax
Anderlecht
Juventus

Pot 4
Galatasaray
Borussia Dortmund
Montpellier

Barca, Bayern, Real, Milan or Porto will play us as top seed.

Just abit of input from me just to say, I'm not bothered who is in the pot we go into, @ the end of the day if WE want to be THE BEST we have to beat the REST! I know it's an obvious statement however our enemies are @ our throats already (media) with back pages of newspaper "City most likely to be in the group of Death" SO??????????

Those calling for the "test", we can test ourselves after the group stage, it would be much better to get an easy group (or easy compared to what we could have) as it might not affect our league form as much and also we need to get out of the group stages both to build our European reputation and for the revenue, and being in a group of champions makes that much harder than being in a group with say Porto, Olympiakos, and some minnow qualifier.

It's better to have easier games. We have to defend our Premiership title, and it will be easier to do that, and progress in the Champions League if the games are easier from the outset

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.