Charging kids board

The alternative is to still take the £200 but put it into a savings account/premium bonds etc and he'll soon have enough money to put down a deposit on flat to rent or even buy.

Started work at 16, charged £20 a week. Saw my arse after a few months and moved out. What a silly fucking decision that was. Went back at 21 and paid £200 a month. Didn't want to leave the 2nd time round.

So how much should you and do you charge them for the privilege . Stepson is an apprentice electrician and since he started work me and Mrs Pabs have charged him £60 p/m after new year he got a substantial rise, with this in mind his rent has now gone upto £200 p/m . We told him the good news tonight and he’s took it like there’s been a death in the family. For this he gets a nice comfy bed , hot meal served nightly, washing and ironing , internet ( his bedroom looks like showcase cinema ) , packed lunches and numerous other sundries plus he does jack shit round the house, are we being unreasonable to what we charge him
No you are not.
He’s still getting away with murder.
They need to learn about paying their way.

So how much should you and do you charge them for the privilege . Stepson is an apprentice electrician and since he started work me and Mrs Pabs have charged him £60 p/m after new year he got a substantial rise, with this in mind his rent has now gone upto £200 p/m . We told him the good news tonight and he’s took it like there’s been a death in the family. For this he gets a nice comfy bed , hot meal served nightly, washing and ironing , internet ( his bedroom looks like showcase cinema ) , packed lunches and numerous other sundries plus he does jack shit round the house, are we being unreasonable to what we charge him
I used to tip up £50 a week 35 years ago. Thought I was hard done to but when I cast my mind back it was a bargain, even back then and I was pulling between 120 to £150 a week!

Your lad is onto a winner and probably gets a chicken dinner by the sound of it, pal.

I got keep my first months wages.So 4 weeks of living it up. Can't remember how much after think was 50 a week. No problem paying it. I knew how the world works.

You have to give kids values. £60 per month is really nothing but a freebie. £200 per month sounds more realistic. It’s not as if he’s got anything to spend his wages on anyway at the moment.

My 17 year old daughter gets £750 a month as an apprentice beautician. We 'agreed' that she gives us £500 a month of which we put £400 a month into Premium Bonds for her. Sounds harsh, but she is happy with that. I think it has helped make her very 'careful' with money. By contrast, my Sister in Law (no pictures available unfortunately) has a son who is 20 and works in 'Finance' a job his Dad got for him. They have no agreement with him, and whilst he is an 'apprentice' . She was complaining recently that he left his Canada Goose jacket in a pub, with almost a Grand in cash in his wallet. And no, I don't know what the intention for the money was either......

Sounds absolutely fair to me. I was paying £800 a month rent living in London when I was 21 which took up a good portion of my income. I would have relished the chance to be living at home paying little rent and either banking my income for a house or going on nice holidays with pals.

I think it’s important for kids to understand how the world works and learn that there is a cost associated with having a roof over your head and running it. What parents do with the money depends on individual circumstances, I paid £10/ week from £27.50/week YTS in late eighties and that had to be spent as my dad wasn’t working, increased over time and also contributed to purchase of other household items such as new carpets as required. We charge 1/3 of my sons wages for board and put it in a savings account, we also suggested he saves 1/3 which leaves a 1/3 to live on, given the pandemic it’s probably quite a challenge to spend it!!! If we were in a different financial situation and we needed to I wouldn’t hesitate to use the money he gives us for board.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.