Chelsea Thread | 2024/25

The agents also have a lot to answer for

100%, especially the ones that already had big platforms to showcase their talent. Casadei was the jewel in Inter’s academy. There was no reason to swap that situation for Chelsea’s plan to loan him out indefinitely until a club offers more than we paid for him. A lot of them were just at random lower tier clubs, so can understand why they may think being a Chelsea player may offer better opportunities to show their talents. Santos for example won young player of the month twice in Ligue 1 despite only being there 4 months. Keeps performing like that, he’ll have a couple of big clubs wanting him.

Last edited:
It’s best to think of a lot of these signings as profit making signings, and not as Chelsea signings for the first team. Neto, yes. Straight into the first team. But there are at least 20-25 players we’ve signed in the last 2 years that fits the category of ‘just a punt for the future, flip for profit after a good loan’. It’s an awful and soulless way to run a club, treating players like cattle, but that seems to be the plan they’re going for. A lot of these players won’t ever sniff first team minutes at Chelsea.
I’d be surprised if you made much profit on most of your signings. They’re on long contracts with presumably high-ish wages, otherwise why would they go?

75% aren’t going to get game time.

I’d be surprised if you made much profit on most of your signings. They’re on long contracts with presumably high-ish wages, otherwise why would they go?

75% aren’t going to get game time.

I would none of them are on high-ish wages. Ugochukwu for example, is on rightly 30-40k a week from what I find online, and he was a pretty promising player at a French club, so I’d guess the young players we pick up from South America or the MLS or the Belgian league are on a bit less than that. There’s very little, if any, reports on this though, so kind of impossible to find really numbers.

I wouldn’t have thought Chelsea are handing out 70-100k a week contracts to all these players anyway. Some of them were earning as little as 5k a week before.

I would none of them are on high-ish wages. Ugochukwu for example, is on rightly 30-40k a week from what I find online, and he was a pretty promising player at a French club, so I’d guess the young players we pick up from South America or the MLS or the Belgian league are on a bit less than that. There’s very little, if any, reports on this though, so kind of impossible to find really numbers.

I wouldn’t have thought Chelsea are handing out 70-100k a week contracts to all these players anyway. Some of them were earning as little as 5k a week before.
Why would you move to Chelsea as a promising youngster if you can see 5 players ahead of you in your position? It has to be money. If it’s not a high starting salary, then there must be a % increase in salary each year of their 8 year deals.

Why would you move to Chelsea as a promising youngster if you can see 5 players ahead of you in your position? It has to be money. If it’s not a high starting salary, then there must be a % increase in salary each year of their 8 year deals.

It is more money though, relative to what a lot of these were earning before. I actually don’t know what they’re telling them to convince them. These aren’t top top talents mostly though. They had to pay big money for Estevao, Paez etc but for a lot of the others, they were good players in relatively obscure locations, they may just want the platform of being associated with Chelsea and playing for a European club on loan. If just one or two moves for big money, it basically justifies the entire operation.

As I said, it’s an awful way to make profit but that seems to be the plan they’re going for.

It is more money though, relative to what a lot of these were earning before. I actually don’t know what they’re telling them to convince them. These aren’t top top talents mostly though. They had to pay big money for Estevao, Paez etc but for a lot of the others, they were good players in relatively obscure locations, they may just want the platform of being associated with Chelsea and playing for a European club on loan. If just one or two moves for big money, it basically justifies the entire operation.

As I said, it’s an awful way to make profit but that seems to be the plan they’re going for.
It’s an odd strategy. It’ll be interesting to see how it pans out.

5+ years of having to see £150m of profit to break even seems a heavy burden.

How many hotels have you got?

It’s an odd strategy. It’ll be interesting to see how it pans out.

5+ years of having to see £150m of profit to break even seems a heavy burden.

How many hotels have you got?

I gotta be honest. I don’t believe in what they’re selling. I’m reasonably OK with the first team squad, though it could be built a bit better but I have little interest in defending their building of a ‘talent portfolio’ and the financial loopholes they keep having to use. It’s stupid and annoying.

Not exactly the revolution that Boehly promised. Good luck with that!

I gotta be honest. I don’t believe in what they’re selling. I’m reasonably OK with the first team squad, though it could be built a bit better but I have little interest in defending their building of a ‘talent portfolio’ and the financial loopholes they keep having to use. It’s stupid and annoying.
Guess it’s the most aggressive version of moneyball. It doesn’t take team spirit into consideration.

I think you’ve got some really good players. How they perform together is anyone’s guess and Maresca will need time, but probsbly won’t get it and super Frank will be back by Easter!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.