Chelsea v City post match thread

Their first goal was Napoli revisited. No tracking the runner. Silva was assaulted in the box but Clattenburgs wig dye got in his eyes. 2-0 to us was game over but we will bounce back.

I don't know what game some of you were watching. We dominated the first 25 minutes and should have been 2-0 up plus a penalty. We took our foot off the pedal and allowed them back into it and they scored a very good goal. After that it was a pretty even game until we went down to 10 men and we obviously weren't playing at our best. It still took a penalty for them to get the winning goal against 10 men and then they played keep ball in the corner for 15 minutes against a side with 10 men. Add to that the fact that Twattenburg was a bit of a homer for them, not his worst game ever but close to it.

To my mind what screwed us up was naivety from the players after 25 minutes when they started playing deeper, playing a top 4 team away from home we should not have done what we did and kept forcing the play. We should have played played our own keep-ball deeper (not on our 18 yard line) and force them to take the initiative, come at us and stretch their midfield.

Individually some poor performances, Yaya was lucky not to be sent off for cuffing Mata and played some shite passes in midfield (he needs a break imho). Lescott had a good game apart from the penalty decision, he wasn't crap by any means. Clichy had a bad day at the office but was unlucky for the sending off, the ball was nicked off his foot. Aguero was less clinical than usual but still put in a shift.

Hopefully this was a wake-up call for the players (and some fans). We aren't going to win every game, an extremely attacking game against a veteran CL team is asking for trouble (a la Napoli, Bayern and now Chelski). Regardless of our form so far we are still only 1 of 4 (maybe 5 with Spuds) teams that are capable of winning the PL and we are only 2 points clear of the rags who everybody says have been playing crap.

Losing away at the bridge was always a possibility (unless you are completely deluded) and in July if you'd told me our first loss would have been on 12th Dec away at Chelsea I'd have snatched your hand off.

Having said that we are still 2 points clear, have a huge GD advantage and have played all the top teams away apart from the arse. Still a lot to play for and we are still in a strong position.

If clattenburg gives the stonewall penalty and we make it 2.0 we could quite easily have gone on to score more.
At the time we were playing some sublime football and that would have opened them up even more than we already were.
We have been put under pressure for the first time this season Really at the top so we will see now how we react.

zoffie said:
You were stunning at the beginning..
It was a stonewall penalty. Balotelli was amazing.
It did take 10 men & a penalty for us to beat you, we're just finding form again.

Great match. Glad Sturridge got 2 assists & played a part in getting Clichy sent off.
Ashley Cole says he's the best he's played against, Richards said the same, he's really difficult to defend against.

I think Yaya Toure was so uncharacteristically petulant today, it's not like him.
Agree, well done on the win, overall you probably just deserved it (only just), but we should have been out of sight by the time you got back into it. What I enjoyed most was how hard fought it was, I'll bet there will be plenty of bruises on both sides. I think we've seen by far the best 2 teams in this league tonight.

Somewhat annoying.

Hard to feel too upset though. Take the emotion out of it, and we were very unlucky tonight. Chelsea got the rub of the green/sucked off by the referee.

Can't argue with the penalty (fucking Lescott) but the one we didn't get was even more of a stonewall penalty (you could just about argue that Lescott was unlucky as it wasn't deliberate handball, whereas there was no accident about the foul on Silva).

Equally, can't argue about the red card, but neither of Clichy's bookings were as bad as Moreiles' two fouls, only one of which received a yellow, and was probably deserving of a straight red.

Game of fine margins. Some you win, some you lose.

If that's us on a bad day we have nothing to worry about. We were simply stunning in the first half hour, and on another day would have been looking at another Old Trafford/White Hart Lane.

To end on a negative note, I think we should be all out for a centre half when the window opens. Lescott is just not up to it for me.

zoffie said:
You were stunning at the beginning..
It was a stonewall penalty. Balotelli was amazing.
It did take 10 men & a penalty for us to beat you, we're just finding form again.

Great match. Glad Sturridge got 2 assists & played a part in getting Clichy sent off.
Ashley Cole says he's the best he's played against, Richards said the same, he's really difficult to defend against.

I think Yaya Toure was so uncharacteristically petulant today, it's not like him.[/quote

agree mainly
yaya passing wasnt at its best either and kompany launched too many long balls only for them to get knocked right back.

coulds of been a different story against a rejuvenated chelsea if we`ed have had the pen we deserved

Chippy_boy said:
Trying to be positive for a moment, some of our play in the first 25 was totally sublime.

That's probably why losing is so fuvking annoying. We threw that game.
yep...my thoughts too

mancity1 said:
BillyShears said:
Very disappointed, mainly because I don't think Chelsea deserved the win.

A few things observations. The conditions really didn't help us. As the game wore on Silva didn't seem to fancy it at all. He shirked out of a couple of challenges, which to be honest, I don't particularly mind, because you can pick up nasty injuries on nights like tonight, but still it limited his impact. The Clichy red card was coming. I half expected Mancini to bring Kolo on just before it finally came. I thought Balo struggled after Chelsea dropped deep and I'd like to have seen Edin a little earlier. Barry was excellent.

Awful officiating. We should've been 2-0 up, and from that I don't think Chelsea would've recovered.

They would have had to change their game plan in anycase.

They can be thankful for a biased ref tonight and you hope that they get the wrong end of the stick themselves before the season is out.

I have been far more impressed by Spurs this season and have little doubt they will finish ahead of Chelsea this season but hopefully below us.

It was a cup final for them .... the celebrations at the end said it all. I look forward to the return fixture at our place...

We didn't get the Pen but you have to cope with not getting the decisions and be better for it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.