City announce trial bus scheme for home games

Used the service for the first time today, M7, getting on/off at Great Moor. Worked really well and at £8 return comparable to the train or driving. Will definitely be using it again.

For the first time since 1973, I got a dedicated football match special bus to a Manchester City game.
I caught the number 14 bus at the bus stop on Old Church Street, Newton Heath (opposite the Asda store).
I was the only one waiting for the football special,so there can't be many City fans in Newton Heath,either that or they walk to the ground.
The bus was about 10 minutes late,it was scheduled to be there at 13.50 hrs but it was just before 14.00 hrs when it pulled up.
Then straight down Briscoe Lane and it terminated it's journey at the bus stop next to Macdonald's on Alan Turing way.
The return pickup was at the bus stop slightly further down Alan Turing Way,just past the Co-op Arena.
I got there for 17.05 hrs and the bus set off at 17.20 hrs when it was almost full.
A slightly strange return journey,as the bus didn't turn right up Briscoe Lane as expected,it carried on up Hulme Hall Lane to Oldham Road and then went along Oldham Road to Ten Acres Lane where it turned right, and continued back to Briscoe Lane .
After this 10 minutes unexpected diversion,it finally dropped me off back at Newton Heath shops, and I was back in the house a few minutes later at 17.40 hrs.
And best of all the 2 journeys cost me sweet FA , thanks to my concessionary bus pass.
And just to add ,my previous football match special bus went from Aytoun Street ( opposite The Grand Hotel) and dropped me off on Lloyd Street North ,near Maine Road, with the return journey starting next to The Parkside and terminating at Aytoun Street.

Last edited:
For the first time since 1973, I got a dedicated football match special bus to a Manchester City game.
I caught the number 14 bus at the bus stop on Old Church Street, Newton Heath (opposite the Asda store).
I was the only one waiting for the football special,so there can't be many City fans in Newton Heath,either that or they walk to the ground.
The bus was about 10 minutes late,it was scheduled to be there at 13.50 hrs but it was just before 14.00 hrs when it pulled up.
Then straight down Briscoe Lane and it terminated it's journey at the bus stop next to Macdonald's on Alan Turing way.
The return pickup was at the bus stop slightly further down Alan Turing Way,just past the Coop Arena.
I got there for 17.05 hrs and the bus set off at 17.20 hrs when it was almost full.
A slightly strange return journey,as the bus didn't turn right up Briscoe Lane as expected,it carried on up Hulme Hall Lane to Oldham Road and then went along Oldham Road to Ten Acres Lane where it turned right, and continued back to Briscoe Lane .
After this 10 minutes unexpected diversion,it finally dropped me off back at Newton Heath shops, and I was back in the house a few minutes later at 17.40 hrs.
And best of all the 2 journeys cost me sweet FA , thanks to my concessionary bus pass.
And just to add ,my previous football match special bus went from Aytoun Street ( opposite The Grand Hotel) and dropped me off on Lloyd Street North ,near Maine Road, with the return journey starting next to The Parkside and terminating at Aytoun Street.
Bus back to Aytoun Street conjures up memories from the early 80s, steamed up windows and cigarette smoke, the return journey always seemed to fly especially if City had won.

Bus back to Aytoun Street conjures up memories from the early 80s, steamed up windows and cigarette smoke, the return journey always seemed to fly especially if City had won.
Yes pal, I thought I'd mention the old Maine Road football special buses to add a bit of nostalgia for us FOCs on Blue moon.

The return pickup was at the bus stop slightly further down Alan Turing Way,just past the Coop Arena.
The Grand Hotel - next to Aytoun Street dole office - I had my 21st birthday meal there with all the family - happy days

Bus 13 from Shaw was late going about 15 mins, coming back brilliant, it’s now all pedestrianized down Joe Mercer way no stopping to cross anymore, down to the new bus pick up in no time. Alan Turing way was very quiet they must be pushing the cars out of a different exit now, can’t fault the service.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.