City Fans Leaving Early/Empty seats

Many clubs in this competition would love a crowd of 40.000 plus .article was ok till it said (twice) empty stadium

Last edited:
For once I’m going to post a link to the Daily Mail.

It’s a fair and balanced article (by Daily Mail standards) asking why City fans aren’t turning up for the CL games.

I wouldn’t bother reading the comments.

Thousands of empty seats and even more shrugged shoulders… the awkward relationship Manchester City fans have with the Champions League
  • Man City's empty stadium vs Lyon shows fans continue to rebel against UEFA
  • They've had an awkward relationship since being punished by Financial Fair Play
  • Fans boo the theme song after feeling they have been targeted by organisation
  • As this year's favourites, City will need fans and team to all pull in same direction
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...ationship-Man-City-fans-Champions-League.html

The picture they used I am sure was showing the big empty block of seats in the south stand reserved for the Lyon fans which didn't sell. The group games are generally like the early rounds of the league cup. On paper they were relatively easy and not the most glamorous of opposition. I say again 40,000 for such games is a good turnout in my view.

We’ve had a few bad few days but for me we’re still ten times the Club and fans those dirty rags and Dippers are.

40,000 midweek isn’t bad and I can see it being 50k when we play Hoffenheim as many fans love or hate the Germans and they will have a decent following. (Of course it will be the die hards and newer fans Vs Donetsk).

We can’t win them all but there’s still going to be two trophies and a shield arriving at our Supoorters Club gathering in a few weeks. These are fantastic times!

cant wait to see the reporting of the rags home game against young boys.
You've missed a fundamental point:

Utd season ticket holders are obliged to buy hence it will be full. They have around 55,000. Same with FA Cup.

The picture they used I am sure was showing the big empty block of seats in the south stand reserved for the Lyon fans which didn't sell. The group games are generally like the early rounds of the league cup. On paper they were relatively easy and not the most glamorous of opposition. I say again 40,000 for such games is a good turnout in my view.
It's 8 thousand down on last season. Empty seats in a home Champions League game is not healthy especially when there's 10,000 of them. I know there are some clubs like Barcelona who dip for some games but we are the only major English club that has a problem with attendances at the Champions League.

In the bad times, our support was the proudest and the only part of our club for which we could be proud. Now It sounds like some supporters are starting to rationalise that going to the games is no longer important.

It’s media driven modern day folk bollox.

Think about it 40,000 people mid week?! When it’s on the telly? I think it is bloody incredible.
I think this is the real story - similar to when England were getting 80,000 plus turn out for a friendly...........

Don't get me wrong, there is something very sad about half full stadiums and certainly the lack of atmosphere but I can't be too critical

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.