City fans' view towards the Champions League

Do you enjoy the Champions League?

• Total voters
I always want City to win, but I don't expect them to win every game. I'll be very disappointed if we lose to Chelsea in either the PL or CL matches, simply because we're a far better team.

I hope we do win the CL, but in all honesty, winning the PL will always mean more to

I always want City to win, but I don't expect them to win every game. I'll be very disappointed if we lose to Chelsea in either the PL or CL matches, simply because we're a far better team.

I hope we do win the CL, but in all honesty, winning the PL will always mean more to me.

Ok fair reply

Always want City to win , but not bothered if City dont win it ???
City will be Champions soon, hopefully Champions of Europe too.
Do you seriously think that a competition involving last years’ National League winners including Liverpool, Celtic, Connah’s Quay Nomads, Linfield, Shamrock Rovers, Juventus, Bayern Munich, PSG, Real Madrid, Club Bruges, Ajax, etc. would generate that much interest?

The reason that the Champions League replaced was that the UEFA Cup was in danger of becoming more difficult to win. The fragmentation of countries in Eastern Europe has weakened many of the likes of Red Star, Partisan, Dynamo Zagreb, Dinamo Kiev, Slovan Bratislava, Sparta Prague, etc.

It would become a totally one-sided borefest until the quarter finals (with seeding) or something of a lottery (without seeding). Try selling that one to the TV companies!

People pandering to some supposed ‘golden age’ will not wash. The football landscape has changed so much since the 1970s that it would never work.

The stupid thing was to call the new entity the Champions League . Had it been called something else, the argument would not be happening.

With respect that’s a bit of a disrespectful way to discribe some of our older fans who have been around for years and years. If they don’t like the modern game then that’s their right. It doesn’t make them small minded. I hate the champions league. It’s run by wankers that have tried to and will continue to screw us. Doesn’t mean I don’t want to win it. I want City to win every game. I’d be just as nervous before a league cup final though.
maybe it sounds harsh but I find it
With respect that’s a bit of a disrespectful way to discribe some of our older fans who have been around for years and years. If they don’t like the modern game then that’s their right. It doesn’t make them small minded. I hate the champions league. It’s run by wankers that have tried to and will continue to screw us. Doesn’t mean I don’t want to win it. I want City to win every game. I’d be just as nervous before a league cup final though.
It reads harsh I agree and people are entitled to their opinion. I just find it exasperating that people can’t see -or feel- how much this matters-in the eyes of the world.

Watch the hype build now over the next few weeks. This is no league cup final. I feel sorry for blues who can’t embrace this, living history for MCFC.

I like the competition as the best teams in Europe compete against each other and the quality of football on show is generally very high. Teams like Shakhtar Donetsk for example play nice stuff so the game is more pleasing on the eye than a number of domestic fixtures.

However, I don't really have an emotional attachment to the competition. It's ran by greedy, elitist wankers that have allegiance to host of clubs across Europe that have stuck he boot in at any opportunity with regard us, our wealth and success, some of which has been a complete disgrace. UEFA have bent over backwards to assist the 'important' clubs ambition to make it as difficult as possible for us to succeed in the competition and subsequently it's had a huge impact on how I feel towards it.

I don't loathe it to the point that I won't enjoy seeing us lift it, it's the European Cup for gods sake but I also don't see it as the one thing we 'need to win to be considered great' either. To me we're already great and there are many trophies and records that back that up.

Beating Utd in the semi final of the league Cup sparked more emotion from me than beating PSG in the semi final of the Champions League although I recognise that winning the semi with PSG is far bigger for our club and our ambition going forward.

I also think the European Cup back when it was the winners of each league had a lot more allure and meaning to it than today's version to be honest. Today's version is just one big money spinner that we all need to be involved in more for money than anything else and that just feels a little sad to me.

Like I say though, I'll definitely still enjoy the night of Saturday 29th May if we lift it and it'll feel like any other trophy we've won.

A really interesting question.
I agree with those that have said UEFA are beneath contempt and I love the booing of the anthem. However, despite all the shit they’ve thrown at us, the very best response is to win it.
I have always wanted us to play in it and win it. The excitement of the first game was brilliant.
Our development has been pretty slow and it seemed to take years for us to come to terms with it.
The group games are now pretty unexciting, much like England qualifiers, but come the knock out it gets serious.
And this is my main point, due to the fact we are the pre-eminent force in English football, against which all other clubs now measure themselves, there are very few individual domestic games that are truly gut wrenching to watch anymore.
The CL knockout phase is always high drama, high intensity and packed ram full of jeopardy. I both hate them and love them, and they continue to deliver true joy and pain depending on the outcome.
As a result, 29th May represents for me a potential pinnacle to match 93.20. And I will be celebrating accordingly (but please don’t go 2-1 down after bossing the game). It also provides the chance to depress me for months to come. CTID

I want us to win it, it's the best knockout domestic competition in the world.

However, my feelings on the Champions League changed when non-champions were allowed in and then the ridiculous seeding...Nobody has a valid argument as to why Arsenal for all those years finishing 4th were in the group stage ahead of champions of their respective leagues.

It was pretty much a power grab by the rich clubs, change of format sure, but there was no need to increase the number of clubs from the richest leagues nor bin off the Cup Winners Cup.

The big clubs from the big leagues still usually ended up winning it, but we'll never see the likes of Brugge, Malmo, Red Star etc. win or even reach a final again. It's set up for a handful of teams to win it every year; Bayern, Real, Barcelona, 4 English teams, PSG and maybe 1 Italian team.

It'll be 11 years since an Italian team last won it, and 17 years since a team outside of those I've mentioned won it (Porto).

It's a con.

However, my feelings on the Champions League changed when non-champions were allowed in and then the ridiculous seeding...Nobody has a valid argument as to why Arsenal for all those years finishing 4th were in the group stage ahead of champions of their respective leagues.

It was pretty much a power grab by the rich clubs, change of format sure, but there was no need to increase the number of clubs from the richest leagues nor bin off the Cup Winners Cup.

The big clubs from the big leagues still usually ended up winning it, but we'll never see the likes of Brugge, Malmo, Red Star etc. win or even reach a final again. It's set up for a handful of teams to win it every year; Bayern, Real, Barcelona, 4 English teams, PSG and maybe 1 Italian team.

It'll be 11 years since an Italian team last won it, and 17 years since a team outside of those I've mentioned won it (Porto).

It's a con.
I agree with everything you say, but the correlation between the same finalists every year is mirrored by the spending power of those clubs involved. If you have joined that group, then you are part of the same system.

That aside, forget the silly name 'Champions league'. It's the European cup. Winning it is the pinnacle for any club. It doesn't get any better than that. It is the furthest you can go with a team. Embrace it.

It's a con.
Of course it's been changed to create as much money as possible but I like the latter stages very much. The peak of football.

I prefer to win the Premier League but in terms of the best football, this is it even if it has been warped to a great degree by money. It's probably better as a spectacle for having 3-4 teams from the major leagues.

Can you imagine the atmosphere at the Etihad during and after the PSG game. It would have been the best ever.

City have to do something in Manchester at the end of the season to bring the fans and team together. Suddenly this season will be over and we'll miss it like crazy. I want some memories of this season that are something more than watching on TV.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.