City= many black players, but at COMS not many black fans

Britain is as racist as it ever was, only the targets have moved on from West Indians to Asians as the political scene has changed. Where once there was a pre-occupation with the "mugger" we now have the threat of International Terror, and it's bound to seep into the collective psyche

It always amazes me how many people can be so blind and insensitive to the world they live in. Just because the crowds don't throw bananas on the pitch any more and shout monkey chants doesn't mean that racism has gone away. It's just changed its form

The Celtic "friendly" was only a couple of months ago, and there was plenty of evidence there of similar attitudes.

That said it's got nothing to do with MCFC, and City fans are no worse than any other set of fans who are totally representative of the society we live in. More dangerous for an group of Asians Youth to walk into a pub on a Saturday night. They might if they are lucky just about get away without incident at COMs.

why does colour matter?

Why does is matter if we have have more white fans than black?

Its not the club or fans fault, just the way it is?

Do you want city to run a campaign to attract black people to the game? Which I fell, in its self, would be racist.

If you are in the stadium you will notice that there are posters about stamping out racism, less so now, which suggests that it has been stamped put.

I fink people have reacted badly to this thread i think its because, although it was not asked directly, its did make people think about if city fans are racist.

If anybody at the ground is unfortunate to find themselves subject to any racism, report it and the offender will be banned.

Football is for everyone, the only colour that counts is the colour of your shirt.

CTID X

lancs blue said:
Historically it was a problem generally that black fans felt unwelcome at most English grounds in the 70s and 80s because of underlying racism though possibly less so at Maine Rd than some others I could mention.

Thankfully things have improved since then but now I would guess the problem is expense as much as anything as a higher proportion of the black population is in the lower income group and so less able to afford high ticket prices.

Thanks, this explains it all.

Thread wasn't meant to imply race problems at City but merely asking why there aren't that man fans of color at the games. Thanks for the explanation.

To ask about race issues is relevant because everyone in world football knows that there are race issues with English football. Every year there is always a club making a complaint against racists chants aimed at their players.

felixbg said:
god theres some utter tools on this site ... what is wrong with the op, he's just asking a few questions and yet bluemoans morons slate him.

In answer to the question City's fan base contains quite a few fans of different ethinic origin compared to most clubs. you rarely see too many blacks or asians at football stadiums.

I've only read up to this point and my goodness, you are correct!!

I really don't see what the problem is with a question that seeks an informative answer. Why are so many people sensitive over the OP's valid question??

Marvin said:
Britain is as racist as it ever was, only the targets have moved on from West Indians to Asians as the political scene has changed. Where once there was a pre-occupation with the "mugger" we now have the threat of International Terror, and it's bound to seep into the collective psyche

It always amazes me how many people can be so blind and insensitive to the world they live in. Just because the crowds don't throw bananas on the pitch any more and shout monkey chants doesn't mean that racism has gone away. It's just changed its form

The Celtic "friendly" was only a couple of months ago, and there was plenty of evidence there of similar attitudes.

That said it's got nothing to do with MCFC, and City fans are no worse than any other set of fans who are totally representative of the society we live in. More dangerous for an group of Asians Youth to walk into a pub on a Saturday night. They might if they are lucky just about get away without incident at COMs.

Britain is one of the most tolerant countries in the world to people of many races. Why do people constantly put our culture and country down. Why not focus a little on the millions of asians, blacks, chinese, Irish, Scots, Poles etc etc who get on perfectly well in the UK.The far right has rarely had significant support. Football is 99.9% free of racism, why make out its not?And racism isnt just a white thing as you seen to imply.

BillyMC said:
Marvin said:

Britain is one of the most tolerant countries in the world to people of many races. Why do people constantly put our culture and country down. Why not focus a little on the millions of asians, blacks, chinese, Irish, Scots, Poles etc etc who get on perfectly well in the UK.The far right has rarely had significant support. Football is 99.9% free of racism, why make out its not?And racism isnt just a white thing as you seen to imply.

I think you're both right to some degree. Racism hasn't gone away but it's much less prevalent than it was say 30 years ago. And generally most minorities have added something to British culture rather than detracted from it.

BillyMC said:
Marvin said:

Agreed...the UK is on the whole probably the most racially tolerant, harmonious and least racist country in Europe. I mean in France the National Front won 25% of the vote not so long ago FFS, by comparison our racial problems are negligable.

One of the reasons that there is not as many black faces in the crowd is that in my experiences when I lived and worked in East London was that most of the ethnic minorities I encountered followed one of the Top 4. They had jumped on the bandwagon pumped out by SKY, the BBC or most of the tabloids in the UK. Most of support Manchester City because of family of location, it's been a lot harder to support City in the playground so the likes of Man United won out.

Football exploded in terms of poularity at the start of the Premiership and again after Euro 96. This is when it really got a hold in the general publics conscious and a lot of people chose to support the most successful or popular teams. I met literally 100's of Ethnic minority students who supported 'Man Yoo' in London but none that supported Bury. Exposure and kudos of the Top 4 is the reason for this.

But if you want to believe that Manchester City fans are rascist, despite not having being to the ground then it's your loss

I think the only stupid thing about the OP was his assumption that there were few black people at the games because there is a race problem-which there isn't. Other than that he made a fair pont, there aren't that many black fans at the stadium. But there aren't many black people in my local pub, or living down my road, or who went to my school. It's not because of a race issue, it's that intergration on a mass scale is a slow process. Proportionally I'm sure that citys black fans are well represnted at COMS, there are just more white people in general

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.