City to start charging blue badge holders for matchday disabled parking

No not everybody can. Fucking hell we have able bodied people who moan about being shoved, jostled and crammed like sardines on trams and buses, how do you think somebody disabled will cope?
The facts are the club provided free parking spaces for a lot of these people.and now they want to charge them £228 a year. You might be fine with that, I'm glad I'm not.
I don't think they should be free in first place. Cheaper yes but why free. There's a women who goes home and away with City, totally confined to a wheelchair, gets the bus to the pub and a taxi van to the game. If you can afford to drive to a game and have a season ticket you can afford to pay some parking.

Can anyone help me with this? My dad is 82 and his hips have gone. He’s been struggling like mad to waddle up to the stadium from a friend’s drive about a mile away and I’m not sure he can manage next year. How does it work with disabled parking? Can he buy a season ticket for it?
Contact the access team and register. You need to provide evidence of disability, ie your blue badge

What I don't understand is if you have a blue badge and you don't want to pay surely you can park on the main road anyway? You can park on Ashton new road right near the bridge, only about 5 minute walk. Can't imagine it's much further than the official car park.
What if you’re like me and can’t walk?

The biggest disappointment is that City showed there contempt for the fans by not discussing or negotiating with any of the fans groups about the increase
The Club seems intent of squeezing every possible shilling out of the fans
Who is next ?
Unfortunately we're no longer Fans
We're customers as far as the club are concerned.

Another thing to add, by charging, it will mean those who need it most will get the spaces, to have so many book them and not turn up is more of a disgrace than charging. Charging will open up spaces for those that will actually use them.

There seems to be some people on here who think that any one who fancies a nice parking space can self diagnose as ‘disabled’ and wait for the blue badge to drop through the door.

Try applying for some of the shit that disabled people are entitled to by law and you’ll soon see the reality.

It seems like the same people who all know a professional street beggar, who drives in from Hale Barns in his Merc. every day, also knows a guy on full PIP who runs marathons in his spare time.

Disabled people can get the tram and the bus that's nonsense, I'm happy for them to have special parking spaces, but don't see why they should be free. If they can afford a season ticket they can afford to pay parking. Do I think £12 is steep yes, but it should be lower for everybody.

No not everybody can. Fucking hell we have able bodied people who moan about being shoved, jostled and crammed like sardines on trams and buses, how do you think somebody disabled will cope?
The facts are the club provided free parking spaces for a lot of these people.and now they want to charge them £228 a year. You might be fine with that, I'm glad I'm not.
I can’t get a tram or a bus. I cannot walk and my hand/arms don’t function. I’m in a wheelchair so need to be close to the stadium entrance. My only income is my benefit

Sounds like 16 pages of:

A) Disabled people deserve everything free and close in parking spots, too

VS

B) Just because you’re disabled doesn’t mean you’re poor! I know someone with a blue badge who is well wadded!

VS

C) While we are at it, why do we have Senior Concessions? Some of the old folk now live like kings and don’t need the break!

It sounds like, just like at the supermarket and everywhere else in life, the Blue Badge is an entitlement to be closer to your destination due to disability, rather than an income/welfare threshold issue.

Given that, it would seem reasonable to assume that disability does not create an additional financial hardship that others do not have, especially given disability benefits, such as cars and money are already provided.

My siblings are profoundly disabled from
Muscular Dystrophy, such that my sister is now in a wheelchair and has had to move seat locations just for stadium access. Even though she only had 3 stairs to her seat, she can no longer do it.

I haven’t asked her if the £200+ will be a difference maker, but I assume not considering she’s been going for almost 60 years now! I do know she gets a seat for her carer, which is next to the wheelchair slot she uses. But without the carer, she would really struggle to even get in and out of the car and into the seat. The Blue Badge lot was simply open ground full of large stones for years and it would take her ages to get through the uneven ground with her sticks. I can only imagine if it was still that way with her chair!

Anyway, if the access is a well paved, well marked parking lot with sufficient spacing between the cars for disable people to maneuver and move wheelchairs through, I can see where every Blue Badger who could afford it would be happy to have the better access and parking conditions.

Unfortunately, unless one is willing to allow the club to perform a financial wellness/welfare assessment, it’s impossible to know who can and who should not have to pay for the improved Blue Badge Parking Access.

Torn.
Excellent post.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.