City to start charging blue badge holders for matchday disabled parking

The Orange car park works on ANPR and they can easily calculate the no shows from the list
Although the wheelchair spaces were always overbooked, walking from the ambulant spaces through the Disabled spaces I can confirm that most games, 15 minutes before KO the spaces were around 50% capacity
I can only comment re the Wheelchair spaces. You’re right, it should be easy to manage the repeated no shows. Are the other car parks not ANPR?

Whilst I can see both sides of this argument my overarching feeling is for such a small amount of revenue gained the bad publicity far outweighs it.
A spectacular own goal and a concern that those making these decisions really aren’t bright, which considering I’ve always thought we had the best in class since the takeover in all areas, has left me reevaluating my views.
Do better City.
I think it will be more about the shortage of car parking spaces than revenue. The opening of Coop Live is a further pressure on a limited resource. People do t tend to appreciate a free good but I think the disables spaces should be heavily subsidised. I like the idea suggested by a Bluemooner of a fiver per space.

It’s true it is hard to escape it.

I think it makes us part of the problem though. Football used to be almost a community asset, something for working class people to enjoy at an affordable price and were only talking 30 years ago. Like everything it’s being monetised as another method of concentrating wealth in the hands of the few.

The best hope is for an independent regulator and fans to act together, to pressure political parties, for change.

I think it jumped the shark on that a long time ago. If people want community and are prepared to sacrifice the quality of football on offer they should go and attend their local lower league and non league clubs.

I think it jumped the shark on that a long time ago. If people want community and are prepared to sacrifice the quality of football on offer they should go and attend their local lower league and non league clubs.

Yes completely agree. I go to a bit of non-league and it’s like going back to bygone era. Cups of tea, poured by old ladies volunteering, local people supporting their community, players mixing with fans and sharing a joke or a smile during the game.

It’s a broad generalisation but football is a good reflection of society. The poorest (non-league clubs) living hand to mouth, don’t try and screw you for every penny, unlike those with the bottomless pockets who try to screw you for every penny.

rags will be pissed off when coach arrives, they are fckd for money as it is

Bundle the parking spaces with the disabled tickets as most disabled people who qualify for a disabled ticket will need a space near to the ground. It might cost more but the club shouldn't be making higher profits because of this.

Make it easier for disabled people to notify the club of non-attendance (surely they are more likely not to attend at the last minute due to illness) so their spaces don't go unused.

Maybe even allow fans to sell their spaces back to club just like they can sell their tickets.

Yes. If you spend 35+ hours per week caring for a relative you're entitled to a whopping £81.90 a week. That's £2.34 an hour.
I am in no way being dismissive of the paltry pay people in this situation find themselves in, I do however ask how they afford a ticket for the match in the first place, regardless of the club charging for blue badge spaces.

A ticket to the game is 50% of the pay

Bundle the parking spaces with the disabled tickets as most disabled people who qualify for a disabled ticket will need a space near to the ground. It might cost more but the club shouldn't be making higher profits because of this.

Make it easier for disabled people to notify the club of non-attendance (surely they are more likely not to attend at the last minute due to illness) so their spaces don't go unused.

Maybe even allow fans to sell their spaces back to club just like they can sell their tickets.
You make a good point here regarding the ease of notification. I’ve missed one game in 3 years. This was Newcastle in the FA Cup earlier this year. My carer/PA messaged me to say she was poorly, the car park space was registered to her car. However, currently you can’t amend the registration within FOUR HOURS of kick off, so I couldn’t get my reserve carer to take me. I’m sure I’m not the only one to be faced with this issue. If the club allowed amendments to even one hour from KO, perhaps it would help the current situation?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.