City to start charging blue badge holders for matchday disabled parking

Statement from Manchester City Disabled Supporters Association, released 04/08/2024

Early in July, we were informed by Manchester City that they intend to introduce a charge of £12 per match for blue-badge disabled parking on the official car-parks, which have previously been provided free-of-charge, with immediate effect for the 2024/25 season. This decision was made without any consultation with MCDSA or with City Matters (our fans’ advisory board). We were only contacted after the decision had been made.

Until now, parking spaces have only been bookable via a match-by-match “fastest-finger-first” online system, with no clear system to cancel bookings, after they have been placed. The club are claiming that the new charges are needed to stop spaces being booked and then left unused.

We have made clear that MCDSA does not accept their reasoning or their proposed solution to their perceived problem. In particular, we are very concerned that these decisions are being made on the basis of flawed assumptions and without any attempt to consider alternative solutions. We feel that it is wholly inappropriate to hit disabled supporters, many of whom are living on benefits or low incomes, with a sudden increase of £228 in the cost of attending Premier League games, after many have already committed to paying for their season tickets, with the charge potentially rising above £300 with Champions League and Cup games.

If, as they claim, the only reason for imposing this new charge is to solve a problem with spaces being booked and not used, we have suggested a number of alternative solutions, which should be tried before imposing such measures on to disabled supporters. Firstly, the booking and cancellation system for parking is not fit for purpose. It has been impossible previously for disabled fans to make late cancellations and has also been extremely difficult to make cancellations at any time, due to the lack of an online option to do so and constant problems with getting through to the Access Team by phone, particularly in the run-up to home matches. The club has had great success in recent seasons in using its “ticket exchange” to fill up potentially unused match tickets, so should be perfectly capable of finding a system to solve any problem for disabled parking.

In response to our complaints, the club has acknowledged that there has been a problem with cancellations and they have agreed to improve that situation by introducing a new online cancellation system and allowing cancellations up to kick-off time, although they have said that this will not be ready in time for the start of the season, despite the charges starting immediately. They have also decided to change the charge to £6 (£7 if only 1 person in a car) for the coming 2024/25 season but still £12 for the following season.

This is still unacceptable and not appropriate. They should first get the new cancellation systems in place and properly publicise that those who book and don’t attend,# could be prevented from making future parking bookings. We have surveyed our members and received an overwhelming response, with 96% agreeing that the new charges are unacceptable. Many have said that they would have reconsidered buying their season tickets, had they known about the new charges and others saying that they will have to stop attending European or Cup matches, in order to save money to cover the parking charges. Many called this a betrayal of loyal supporters and a sign of corporate greed, to penalise disabled fans, who often make huge sacrifices to attend matches.

We have a further meeting with City’s Access Team on Monday (5th August) and we are hopeful that sense will prevail and the plans to charge disabled fans for parking will be dropped.

For further information about this or about Manchester City Disabled Supporters Association, please email us on manchestercitydsa@gmail.com

We also have a discussion on our new MCDSA YouTube channel about this:

And there you have it. Even when the MCDSA reaches out and wants to engage with the club with alternative ideas, the club is still going to charge disabled supporters this season, albeit less, and will charge the full amount next season. Once again the decision has been made by the people running the club and they are sticking to that decision, as of now.

Let’s hope Pep get’s the players on the pitch on time this season, otherwise the people running the club will have to find another ‘£2mill’ on fines to pay to the PL.

Last edited:
It’s disgusting from the club, I wonder if we use to charge them at Maine Road when they were placed around the pitch in what was probably the worse place to be.
No, there wasn’t a charge but the blue ‘noddy’s used to get pelted when the ball went out of play near them at the corners. I know because I went with my old fella who was in one for over 35 years of his life. Also, early 70’s we got moved into the Platt Lane and parked under the Woden stand after being allowed through the gate 45 mins before k.o. When the new stand was built, a chosen few got a space on the front of the main stand near the platt lane or if you were me and me dad we had to try and park on Maine Road itself. Try avoiding the dog shit when pushing a wheelchair!!!

How do you know 50% did? Where did you get that figure from?
Correct question to ask. This has come from the club not from any other source. Every time I have parked on the blue car park the area designated to me as a blue badge holder has and is always full to capacity and I never miss a home game in any of the comps…..

Statement from Manchester City Disabled Supporters Association, released 04/08/2024

Early in July, we were informed by Manchester City that they intend to introduce a charge of £12 per match for blue-badge disabled parking on the official car-parks, which have previously been provided free-of-charge, with immediate effect for the 2024/25 season. This decision was made without any consultation with MCDSA or with City Matters (our fans’ advisory board). We were only contacted after the decision had been made.

Until now, parking spaces have only been bookable via a match-by-match “fastest-finger-first” online system, with no clear system to cancel bookings, after they have been placed. The club are claiming that the new charges are needed to stop spaces being booked and then left unused.

We have made clear that MCDSA does not accept their reasoning or their proposed solution to their perceived problem. In particular, we are very concerned that these decisions are being made on the basis of flawed assumptions and without any attempt to consider alternative solutions. We feel that it is wholly inappropriate to hit disabled supporters, many of whom are living on benefits or low incomes, with a sudden increase of £228 in the cost of attending Premier League games, after many have already committed to paying for their season tickets, with the charge potentially rising above £300 with Champions League and Cup games.

If, as they claim, the only reason for imposing this new charge is to solve a problem with spaces being booked and not used, we have suggested a number of alternative solutions, which should be tried before imposing such measures on to disabled supporters. Firstly, the booking and cancellation system for parking is not fit for purpose. It has been impossible previously for disabled fans to make late cancellations and has also been extremely difficult to make cancellations at any time, due to the lack of an online option to do so and constant problems with getting through to the Access Team by phone, particularly in the run-up to home matches. The club has had great success in recent seasons in using its “ticket exchange” to fill up potentially unused match tickets, so should be perfectly capable of finding a system to solve any problem for disabled parking.

In response to our complaints, the club has acknowledged that there has been a problem with cancellations and they have agreed to improve that situation by introducing a new online cancellation system and allowing cancellations up to kick-off time, although they have said that this will not be ready in time for the start of the season, despite the charges starting immediately. They have also decided to change the charge to £6 (£7 if only 1 person in a car) for the coming 2024/25 season but still £12 for the following season.

This is still unacceptable and not appropriate. They should first get the new cancellation systems in place and properly publicise that those who book and don’t attend,# could be prevented from making future parking bookings. We have surveyed our members and received an overwhelming response, with 96% agreeing that the new charges are unacceptable. Many have said that they would have reconsidered buying their season tickets, had they known about the new charges and others saying that they will have to stop attending European or Cup matches, in order to save money to cover the parking charges. Many called this a betrayal of loyal supporters and a sign of corporate greed, to penalise disabled fans, who often make huge sacrifices to attend matches.

We have a further meeting with City’s Access Team on Monday (5th August) and we are hopeful that sense will prevail and the plans to charge disabled fans for parking will be dropped.

For further information about this or about Manchester City Disabled Supporters Association, please email us on manchestercitydsa@gmail.com

We also have a discussion on our new MCDSA YouTube channel about this:

If this was known in early July, why has it only surfaced on Friday?

Reactions: PPT
Correct question to ask. This has come from the club not from any other source. Every time I have parked on the blue car park the area designated to me as a blue badge holder has and is always full to capacity and I never miss a home game in any of the comps…..
So you're claiming the club are lying now? Do you have proof of this other than "every time I'm there..."?

This issue is similar to doctors surgeries where certain demographics used to block book appointments just in case it was needed. As they didn't bother cancelling it ended up with people who did need an appointment being unable to get one or only at really difficult times of the day. Thankfully most if not all now tell them to find another doctors after about 3 failed attendances.

So you're claiming the club are lying now? Do you have proof of this other than "every time I'm there..."?

This issue is similar to doctors surgeries where certain demographics used to block book appointments just in case it was needed. As they didn't bother cancelling it ended up with people who did need an appointment being unable to get one or only at really difficult times of the day. Thankfully most if not all now tell them to find another doctors after about 3 failed attendances.

I can tell you the protest banner wasn’t removed just because it was covering the digital advertising boards. But that’s what the club put out in the media.

(A Man City banner unfurled by home fans at the Etihad Stadium on Sunday afternoon has been returned to a supporter's group after it was initially confiscated by stewards. The banner, which was being used by supporters to express their dissatisfaction at another season ticket price hike, was only visible for a brief period of time before stewards took it away.

The official line from the club is that the banner was removed as it covered advertising and part of a scoreboard at the stadium. However, as many City fans have pointed out on social media, similar interventions haven't occurred for club-friendly banners that have been unfurled over advertising boards in the past)

If the club are telling the truth and they have the proof all they have to do is show MCDSA the figures when they have a meeting.

Are the parking spaces 50% empty all the time, some of the time, or just for certain matches? Saying the car parks were 50% empty in general is hard to believe. I won’t say the club are lying because only the club have the actual figures.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.