City v Stoke Post Match Thread

This was a blip. An irritating, even very irritating blip, but a blip nonetheless.
I think we have to get a sense of perspective on this by looking at the three games collectively. For Newcastle and to some extent Liverpool, all neutral observers and not a few blues have agreed that we played well at not playing very well, if you can understand that. That is, we "managed" those games, while never being at more than third gear, sometimes dropping into second gear. Both teams gave us space behind the back four in a way that Stoke almost never did. Normal — Newcastle were on their own turf, Liverpool are Liverpool, they were up for getting the three points at the Etihad to prove a point of their own. All our goals in those games showed our ability to punish defences instantly without necessarily playing particularly impressively. Yesterday we had an entirely different job to do — the onus was completely on us — and we could find no way of rethinking our game to get past Stoke's organisation (which was superb, full credit to them). This was to my mind very reminiscent of the Palace match at the Etihad last season. They were stubborn, and we only got through because of a piece of class from Edin. Think, even, of the Villa game. We didn't break them down until the 60th minute.
When it's not going through up the middle there aren't a thousand other ways to get through. Either you have a barnstorming piece of individual brilliance (i.e. Yaya several times last season, but he's not looking even close to it at present, is it only to me that he looks phenomenally sluggish?) or you go down the wings where there's space. Stoke had that pretty well covered as well. Only well to get through that way is to have Navas on right from the start, and to have Zab on. But Zab has got to be rested sometimes, and it's obviously not going to be against LIverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Bayern. That's why we got Sagna, and we got him for free, let's be honest. He's no Zab, of course not, that's why we got him for free.
We are three points behind Chelsea, which is nothing at this stage of the season. I look at this as potentially the kick up the arse we needed. I expect us to play fully up to pace, and to be right up for it against Arsenal. The onus will be on them, and it will in no way resemble this match. And make no mistake, with Fernando tidying up (injury situation?) in front of a back four of Zab, Vinny, MDM/Mangala, Clichy, this is the best defence City have had in the last four seasons. We'll be the ones soaking up, and then breaking fast. But I do think that that midfield has to vary the tip-tap possession stuff with long, sharp, accurate balls straight out of deep midfield a little more. It's varying it that catches the opposition out. If your rhythm is the same right the way through, the opposition can deal with it, and that's what the stokies did brilliantly yesterday. Hats off to them. We move on…

citymad said:
Note to city players, if Crouchy is winning everything in the air when we have a corner might be an idea to try something different. Thought he was outstanding today an example of a player giving everything for his team mates.

I must ask, is he your brother?

Should Fernandinho have taken Diouf out as he went past and just took the red? Risky though with Fernando possibly out for a while. Still not got this performance out of my system yet.
Actually now I think of it Kolarov should have pulled his shirt as he went to get away before half way line, shithouse tactic but a yellow and harmless free vs what transpired

Not sure why Kompany didn't trip or body check the player before the goal and take a yellow. Soft from Hart though.

Manchester_lalala said:
chestervegasblue said:
Manchester_lalala said:
We need to break the bank for reus, if silva or Nasri don't play well we're fucked. No pace in the team at all and that's what you need vs these teams. Weekend ruined for me the bunch of over paid unfit pricks.

Wow.

Can you explain to me why you seemed shocked at my comment? Everything I said is bang on, Navas made a slight difference with his pace but stoke was already comfortable and confident with containing us.

I would quibble with your point that our players are overpaid and pricks. And you support City?

taleofbluehalves said:
Not sure why Kompany didn't trip or body check the player before the goal and take a yellow. Soft from Hart though.

Because he was still in the opposition's half perhaps?

I agree this was a blip but we must learn lessons from it. Stoke defended brilliantly and did a job on Silva and Nasri. They denied us space in the channels where we create most of our goals from and allowed us to have to ball in deeper positions. That's why Ya Ya had to make so many long passes.
Sangna and Kolarov are not as good as Zabba and Clichy defensively and we were vulnerable on the flanks.
Joe Hart made another major blunder. I am not sure if we can still trust him.
I am also not sure if Sergio and Jovetic can work well together but we need to give them time.
I expect a lot of teams to repeat Stoke's tactics, especially those in Europe like Roma, so we must sort out a plan B quickly.
What's great about football is that the game is always evolving. We can't repeat last year's tactics if we want to win the league again but we have enough talented players to work out a new way to win matches.

rnblade said:
We have no tactics to beat teams who will consistently have 10 or more behind the ball.

Nobody does mate, thats why teams will do it against the likes of us. Nine times out of ten, we plug away til we get the breakthrough, or at worst, we should get a point.

Our defensive naivete in letting them hit us on the break with the killer goal and Joes 'attempt' at saving it is where my frustration lies with yesterday, although people have rightly mentioned that had Fernando still been on the park theres a good chance that doesnt happen.

Onwards!

The main problem in the long run is that, this game exposed City's weakness of playing against a parked bus far too early in the season. We can expect all mid-table teams to imitate Stoke with the hope of at least a draw.

Having said that, Chelsea's defence last night was also another weakness exposed. Although the teams will be more reluctant to go against them and play offensive to benefit from it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.