City v Wigan Post Match Thread (FA Cup)

Blue2112 said:
steviemc said:
Blue2112 said:
Disagree, today we should have been in a semi final so the least he needs to do is qualify for a Champions League semi final. Beating Barca might do wonders commercially and for the fans for a few days but the reality is won't win us fuck all.
We are not going to win both domestic cups each and every year. IT HARDLY EVER HAPPENS. Get over it.

Having watched City for 42 years I know full well you don't get to winning both domestic trophies HARDLY EVER and this year was without doubt the best chance in my lifetime of it happening. I personally don't think we will win the Champions League for a few more years yet and today should have been a priority. I'm over it but I'll get over it without being told too, so maybe get over the fact some of us are more pissed off than maybe you are tonight.
I agree, the CL is probably a few years off yet. I too saw us win the League Cup back in 76 and have waited over 35 years to see us win the same trophy again. I too am really disappointed, but I remain rational. What on this earth, unless you've got a terminal illness (and if you have I sincerely apologise), leads you to believe that this is the best chance you have to see us win a domestic trophy double? For me, this team is only going to get stronger and after our darker days the future's nothing but bright.

Didn't want to read about City tonight but caved in.

Peller's ability to manage the squad has to come under serious scrutiny. I'd like to know whyafter the warford game he made similar changes to our defense with the same result except this time we didn't recover.

Why when we have had so many games is Milner not even getting a sniff of start ing games yet Navas is pellers emrgency get out.

i know Negredo hasn't been great but from looking like the best signing of the season Peller's has played him alongside Dzeko a number of times and played Edin as the front man and asked Negredo to play a slightly deeper roll. This seems to have knocked the confidence out of Negrrdo. His shoulder injury may besomewhat to blame then Pellers had oppertunity's against westham to rest players who were key and he didn't.

When we are playing well - all on their game the 442 is brilliant, when we aren't or when games need it, is when the manager starts to earn his money. I'm sorry but this is were he has been found wanting. I understand the prem is not La Liga and he probaly thinks we justhave to turn up to beat teams from the lower leagues but to make the exact same mistake twice isn't good.

Bodicoteblue said:
steviemc said:
Marvin said:
Today was possible. We were odds on to win, yet we prioritised a game where we are odds on to lose. Even if we win, it will not be worth it, as we could have played Kompany, and Fernandinho today, got this game won and rested players and have good morale.

Pellegrini should go for this.

Getting to Wembley is precious. Every football fan who has put in the years dreaming of opportunities like today would be absolutely devastated to see his team get beat in the manner in which we did

We lost to Wigan at home and we were going for a triple. We are a bigger laughing stock than Man Utd

Last season, Ferguson eked out every point for a struggling squad that was way past their best. Manuel Pellegrini has blown the opportunity for a far more talented squad. Really is poor poor management and I hope there are consequences. Otherwise we'll have more days like today and the best players will leave. They aren't mugs.
You should know better. How many fucking managers do we want at City? Disgraceful comment.
I'm afraid that whatever we think may or may not happen withFFP it is already forcing our hand .
Without the constraints of this contrived piece of market rigging we would have already improved the depth of our squad to the point where we could have sent out a much more convincing side than we did today.
Sadly , although as fans of domestic competition , we would love to have lifted the FA cup , the prestige and revenues accruing from winning it are negligible in comparison to even just appearing in the CL , that's just a sad fact of life.
Until such times as the scam that is FFP is successfully challenged and thrown out , then our owners and their legal team will strive to comply , as it puts the club in a good light with the relevant authorities and strengthens our long term aims , and that means an amount of prioritising like it or not.

Long termism(clumsy but you know what I mean) is the hallmark of our owners' strategy , they know that sacrifices have to be made on the road to long term success. They also hope that most of us fans will recognise this and will come along with them . It's a long and hard road and we will need to show the patience , resilience and God knows , the sense of humour that has kept us believing through so many years of desperate disappointment.
Keep believing - it will be worth it!

Very eloquent but I'm afraid you may have missed the point. Domestic success breeds CL entry which in itself breeds more success. Today was about bad management . Wholesale changes for a competition which we had every chance of winning shows either dreadful naivety ( by thinking we can win the CL this year as a priority ) or bad management through totally under-estimating Wigan (Cup Holders at our expense remember).
Either way the starting lineup wasn't good enough, we've embarrassed ourselves and probably given Hull a shot in the arm for the next game which will probably define the rest of the season

SUCCESS BREEDS SUCCESS - but likewise defeat breeds defeat ----- just a thought

Bluekiwi said:
I feel sorry for Manchester based fans having to face the taunts of rival fans and the media.

I prepared for this situation by being a sad act and having no friends.

Bluekiwi said:
So now we know - the Champions League is more important than domestic honours. Crazy team selection.
I thought Manuel would have played his strongest team in the first half, get a good grip by scoring a couple of goals, and then take players off. Our confidence should have been sky high going into Wednesday's game - instead we need to recover from a humiliating home defeat to a team from a lower division.
This result has brought us back down to earth with a huge bang.
I feel sorry for Manchester based fans having to face the taunts of rival fans and the media.
I'm with you regarding the idea of consolidating a lead. You can dictate the pattern of play and subs as necessary. We slated the rags many times for trying to prioritise competitions.

Don't worry about the local taunting, it'll take a lot more than this for the AON shirts to start appearing back on the streets.

onceabluealways said:

Peller's ability to manage the squad has to come under serious scrutiny. I'd like to know whyafter the warford game he made similar changes to our defense with the same result except this time we didn't recover.

Why when we have had so many games is Milner not even getting a sniff of start ing games yet Navas is pellers emrgency get out.

i know Negredo hasn't been great but from looking like the best signing of the season Peller's has played him alongside Dzeko a number of times and played Edin as the front man and asked Negredo to play a slightly deeper roll. This seems to have knocked the confidence out of Negrrdo. His shoulder injury may besomewhat to blame then Pellers had oppertunity's against westham to rest players who were key and he didn't.

When we are playing well - all on their game the 442 is brilliant, when we aren't or when games need it, is when the manager starts to earn his money. I'm sorry but this is were he has been found wanting. I understand the prem is not La Liga and he probaly thinks we justhave to turn up to beat teams from the lower leagues but to make the exact same mistake twice isn't good.

Well said, totally agree -----the honeymoon's over time for Pelli to earn his corn

I don't think team selection is a good excuse.

The players that were picked today should still comfortably beat that Wigan team. They players that were selected did not perform and should take most of the blame.

Didnt see the game today sorry so maybe my comments will be frowned upon. But I feel teams play a dangerous game by fielding your so called second side. When Wigan saw our team sheet im sure that have them a big lift mentally, and thats on top of them already being well up for this game. Every team should have a solid spine to it, from keeper thru the centre backs and through the middle of the park. Now im not going to slag my boys off but seeing pants, demichelis and Garcia as our spine today isn't going to scare many teams is it?
And I haven't read through every post so if its been mentioned before im sorry, but players need game time. I dont care how good u are, if your not playing often then your gonna be found wanting in big games. I know these players are proffesionals but they still need to play week in week out to get into the pace of games and to gain confidence. If your a bit part player in a squad but u feel u should be a regular then your already low in confidence and dare i say it, not really gonna be up for it knowing that whatever u do u prob wont be a first team regular?? Confidence and how u feel mentally is so so important in professional sport. I feel sorry for some of these guys. Not playing often and then asked to step up and perform in a cup game in the latter stages.
We just need to try and keep some sence of reality. We are all watching the best city side ever. We just won a cup. The league title is not out of reach. So lets think positive. :-)

mcfcgto said:
onceabluealways said:

Well said, totally agree -----the honeymoon's over time for Pelli to earn his corn
We certainly didn't play our strongest 11, which is never the best policy, but put the two teams starting squads down on paper and then ask each manager in any division which squad he'd prefer given the choice. I shouldn't need to tell you their answer. Individual player choice means nothing if the squad aren't giving their all.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.